Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the Seven an "A"?  (Read 105984 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Is the Seven an "A"?
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2013, 11:03:14 AM »

Indeed Bruce it is true. Not implying in any way that the famous skeleton and skull of Gardner Island was buried by the Gilbertese, merely that the separating of skull from rest of skeleton, then subsequent burial/partial burial of skull is a Gilbertese tradition. As was the setting of fires in times of great stress and, coral circles.

I notice that was exactly what they did on discovering the skeleton...

(a) Skeleton was not buried – skull was buried after discovery by natives (coconut crabs had scattered many bones),

Just noting that old traditions die hard.
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »

A rather pleasing insight into the mind of Harry Maude 1906 - 2006.

"Professor Maude is remembered fondly by Gilbertese for his concern for maintenance and incorporation of local cultural principles into the new administrative procedures, rather than imposing the dictates of colonial policy, as his forerunners had done. In fact he reworded some of Grimble’s regulations, such as those on adoption, family obligations and uses of eating and sleeping houses, to reflect Gilbertese customary law, rather than British colonial law. His reform of local government led to the establishment in l946 of Island Councils, Island Courts, and Land Courts, all of which reflected local administrative procedures, though Island Council members were elected."

http://www.asao.org/pacific/honoraryf/maude.htm
This must be the place

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2013, 04:46:12 AM »

I notice in the newly discovered tin box of photos, there is a linear line of clearing in one of the images. Is this the same clearing as at the Seven site or slightly further south?

Quite a bit further south.  Whether it's actually a line of clearing will have to wait until we see the negative.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2013, 01:27:02 PM »

I think a lot of things are going to have to wait until Jeff Glickman has a go at the negatives, because they will be the ultimate arbiter. Jeff will be able to tell if something on the negative was something actually on the ground at Niku, or ... just a bit of crap on the film.

LTM, who remembers his darkroom days,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:29:30 AM by Monty Fowler »

Bill de Creeft

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2013, 01:39:51 PM »

Yeah...What all you guys said !

(and don't forget that "G" which is really an Earhart "E"   !?!)
All in a row north to south...
Bill
Bill de Creeft

Tighar Member #4131

ThePilot

• T1
  • Chris Ohms
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »

Hi
I also advanced the hypothesis several years ago (from New Zealand) that the 7 was indeed an A. There was little vegetation at that time so the argument from TIGHAR that it took a lot of time to clear relates to their own experience and does not provide proof. Also the arrow has never been explained. The more interesting point is that I have found what I think is the Electra wheel section and landing gear in one of the RNZAF photographs. I have corroborated that location with other evidence and it fits perfectly.
Chris  :)
Chris Ohms PhD

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2013, 05:14:15 PM »

The more interesting point is that I have found what I think is the Electra wheel section and landing gear in one of the RNZAF photographs. I have corroborated that location with other evidence and it fits perfectly.
No need to be coy, Chris. Why not share a marked-up copy of the relevant photo and describe your evidence? Others would surely like to see what it is that you think you see.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

ThePilot

• T1
  • Chris Ohms
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2013, 02:49:39 AM »

Don't worry - I am talking with the chap at the RNZAF museum to obtain a digitally enhanced version of the negative and photograph and then to get it analyzed by the NZ Government if warranted. If that turns out positive then the next port of call will be the US Embassy and your State Department.
cheers from Ardmore Aerodrome
NZ
chris
Chris Ohms PhD

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2013, 11:35:24 AM »

Don't worry - I am talking with the chap at the RNZAF museum to obtain a digitally enhanced version of the negative and photograph and then to get it analyzed by the NZ Government if warranted.

I'm sure the museum will be as helpful to you as they have been to others who have contacted them since we announced the discovery of the photos.  I'm curious about what kind of digital enhancement you expect the museum to provide. 

If that turns out positive then the next port of call will be the US Embassy and your State Department.

Positive in what respect?  And what would you expect the U.S. State Department to do? 

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2013, 01:35:03 PM »

Look at the photos below.  The first one is the one that we've had for a long time. It has hand-drawn arrows and was probably part of some report.  The mysterious "arrow" appears a few hundred meters up the coast line beyond the clearly visible Seven Site. In the recently discovered un-cropped contact print of the same photo, the "arrow" is not present but there are other white flecks that do not appear in the other print. Both of these photos were printed from the same negative. We've been chasing a ghost.  There never was an "arrow."  All of the white marks are nothing more than dust on the negative or lens.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2013, 01:46:06 PM »

OMG there's a 'Halloween' mask in the bottom left corner  :P

Sorry i'll go now  :(

Bill de Creeft

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »

Well,.... Drat, Ric !!
Back to the 'Earhart E' !

And Dr.Ohms; Are we in some kind of race ??

Bill (used to be a Pilot)
Bill de Creeft

Tighar Member #4131

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2013, 03:23:21 PM »

The more interesting point is that I have found what I think is the Electra wheel section and landing gear in one of the RNZAF photographs. I have corroborated that location with other evidence and it fits perfectly.

Chris, what other evidence?
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

Chris McKee

• T1
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2013, 12:21:04 AM »

Been lurking for a while - first post...  PS - this forum has the toughest captcha I've ever come across ;)

It's amazing how this mystery is been solved by piecing together the most unlikely evidence - each portion on it's own almost unbelievable. And the faith of some amazing people stitching it all together... thanks.

2 cents- I can't imagine someone writing a message to be seen from the air and deciding to do it in their handwriting... the "E" makes zero sense to me.

PPS - seriously - I can't solve this captcha!   :)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2013, 05:47:48 AM »

Been lurking for a while - first post...  PS - this forum has the toughest captcha I've ever come across ;)

PPS - seriously - I can't solve this captcha!   :)

Sorry about that.  If you want to look into better captcha add-ons for Simple Machines Forum, let me know what you find.  I think we require a captcha solution for your first three posts after registering.  Then things should become more friendly for you.  ;)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org