Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrical Storm  (Read 6414 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Electrical Storm
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:50:50 AM »

In correlation with Research Document # 34 (page 2), R.M. Hansen...Wake Island, DF operator, describes that on the morning of July 6, 1937 he describes having a hard time receiving anything due to a severe electrical storm. If this be the case, does anyone know or have data to indicate such a storm in this area or Gardner island at the time? If this be true, is it possible that the Electra could have suffered damage or went over the edge during this time? Plus, I don't know the distance between Wake Island and Niku. Somebody help me out please...thanks!!!!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Electrical Storm
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 09:14:33 AM »

In correlation with Research Document # 34 (page 2), R.M. Hansen...Wake Island, DF operator, describes that on the morning of July 6, 1937 he describes having a hard time receiving anything due to a severe electrical storm. If this be the case, does anyone know or have data to indicate such a storm in this area or Gardner island at the time? If this be true, is it possible that the Electra could have suffered damage or went over the edge during this time? Plus, I don't know the distance between Wake Island and Niku. Somebody help me out please...thanks!!!!

It's 1,800 nautical miles from Wake to Gardner.  The electrical storm could have been anywhere but it was more likely closer to Wake because other stations didn't report trouble.   That said, severe local squalls are not uncommon at Gardner and often involve high winds (I've chased many a blowing tarp during such storms).  Wind could be a factor in moving the plane on the reef.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »

Sounds like western Kansas to me!!!

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:08:19 PM »

"Fred, we're not in Kansas anymore!"  Someone had to go there!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org