Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Sonar Target  (Read 217970 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Re: Sonar Target
« Reply #150 on: June 06, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »

I had no tongue in cheek (honest) I'm a belt, braces, drawing pin and superglue kinda person. 

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #151 on: June 06, 2013, 05:46:03 PM »

It really is astounding, all the near misses, if onlys, lost items, found items with no name or serial number that have dogged the loss of AE and FN and the search for them. I am So not surprised that the DVD of the area near the Conroy Object filled up and was not replaced!

Here's hoping for a major donor to kick in so Niku VIII can be sooner, for Who Knows what's going to happen to the Richie Anomaly!
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2013, 01:31:56 AM »

Richie...Help me out on this......But, have you guys seen this image up close. Take note of the wheel like characters within the red circle...Thanks!!!

Ingo Prangenberg

• T2
« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2013, 08:04:44 AM »

In relationship to the possible fuselage, those shapes may be too large to be wheel related. They also do not show up as white specks with a sonar shadow. Possible shifts in coral sediment?

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2013, 09:06:29 AM »

Hi Randy

What I think your seeing is a faint ring like circle caused by the impact from the object hitting the ground, what is interesting is the object seem's to be wide, notice that there is 3 or more gouges were it landed that go into one we're the object as slid on to it's side.

Richie   
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »

Hi Randy

What I think your seeing is a faint ring like circle caused by the impact from the object hitting the ground, what is interesting is the object seem's to be wide, notice that there is 3 or more gouges were it landed that go into one we're the object as slid on to it's side.

Richie

I see the same thing as well as other possible impact craters.  This area could be below a channel that spills out from the shallow area above. Andrew described searching channels at the shallow area in his previous dives. These channels could be directing talus, boulders and other debris (plane parts) onto the natural piles or talus cones below.  It seems natural that a falling plane part could cause boulders to fall and vice versa
3971R

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:13:17 AM by G. Daspit »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »

This area could be below a channel that spills out from the shallow area above. Andrew described searching channels at the shallow area in his previous dives. These channels could be directing talus, boulders and other debris (plane parts) onto the natural piles or talus cones below.  It seems natural that a falling plane part could cause boulders to fall and vice versa

Interesting thought. And falling boulders and talus could cover pieces of wreckage that had a low profile so that all we see in the sonar image are the sticky-uppy bits (technical term).

CW Bovee

• T1
« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2013, 11:06:18 PM »

Ric, I think I might see the fuselage as you were describing it. I would guess its upside down with the bulkhead where a wing was once affixed sticking up creating the main "shadow".
The smaller section "broken off" behind it almost looks like the rudder and elevator sticking out of the sea floor. Just my two cents for what its worth. Richie congrats on your anomaly it's one hell of a find, even if it turns out to be coral.

Sorry about the "pre-school" rendition of my picture hopefully it gets what I "see" across.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2013, 04:39:39 AM »

One thing the sonar anomaly has going for it is that, if it was a natural feature like a rock slide or landslide you might expect to see one or two more along the side of the seamount, but you don't. Which adds to the chances of it being something man made. Of course something man made may include a boat as Ric mentioned but, it does appear strange that there isn't anything else on the sonar sweeps that looks even similar to this.
This must be the place

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #159 on: June 11, 2013, 10:14:51 AM »

Richie...Is it by chance that what we believe to be an impact crater in what I pointed out the other day, is in fact one of the motors off of the Electra? Just a thought!!!

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »

Hi Randy

Not sure to be honest, Check this out though in the attached image, There's a white arrow pointing to a shadow below left of anomaly i can almost make it out but before i say what i see.

Would like to know what other's may see, Bare in mind the shadow could be covered in sediment 

Thanks Richie

Member# 416

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #161 on: June 11, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »

Bare in mind the shadow could be covered in sediment 

How do you cover a shadow with sediment?  Just curious.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2013, 02:10:26 PM »

you don't, But there is something there which is burly visible   ;D

Member# 416

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »

Hi Randy

Not sure to be honest, Check this out though in the attached image, There's a white arrow pointing to a shadow below left of anomaly i can almost make it out but before i say what i see.

Would like to know what other's may see, Bare in mind the shadow could be covered in sediment 

Thanks Richie

It's about the same length and diameter as an Electra engine, seems to me.

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2013, 05:11:03 PM »

Hi Randy

Thanks Richie

It's about the same length and diameter as an Electra engine, seems to me.

Here is a side by side comparison, all to scale. In both images, the engine was not re-sized in comparison to the fuselage, or vice versa. The images were just trimmed to remove backgrounds, nothing more.

Electra image is from Air and Space Museum here

Looks like a close match to me...

Of course, the object on the left could be a big rock that just happens to be similar to a Lockheed Electra engine.

The Anomaly on the right could just be a coral ridge.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:46:03 PM by Charlie Chisholm »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org