Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Sonar Target  (Read 216808 times)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
Re: Sonar Target
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »

Interesting question Richie----How ya doing anyway? Been a while!
I was just wondering (out loud) how you prove the anomaly is part of the Electra. I assume that there are pics of it--somewhere. Either from the 2012 trip---which I doubt, or the 2010 trip---which seemed to have more parts and pieces in it. Also assume that it would be best to put eyes on target, but that may be a daunting task.
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2013, 01:06:20 AM »

Hi Tom

It has been a while, am not aware of any software you could use which can give u a better idea of what were seeing in sonar image obviously we know were 2012 debris field is, I think more needs to be done to a certain were exactly the 2010 wire/rope video was filmed allot of people including Ric and Jeff don't see anything I do an I bet the video was taking some were along that gouge that leads to anomaly,

The be all an end all though is untill we go back we don't know what it is for certain.

Just hope we don't have to wait till 2014 to find out i could get struck by lightning or knocked over by a plane before then haha
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2013, 01:24:25 AM »

I think a under water metal detector is a must on next expedition as what ever anomaly is it will be covered in cement like sediment and hard to see.

Anyway best I do some work

Richie 

Member# 416

Ingo Prangenberg

• T2
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2013, 07:14:34 AM »

Has anyone noticed the nice-sized chunk to the left of the anomaly that has its own sonar shadow? Is it possibly a cylindrical shape? Looks nice and close in relationship to the larger anomaly.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »

Has anyone noticed the nice-sized chunk to the left of the anomaly that has its own sonar shadow? Is it possibly a cylindrical shape? Looks nice and close in relationship to the larger anomaly.
A few people have seen it. See replies 7,23 and the pdf in post 100. It's an interesting target that seems to have a narrow vertical shadow. And it is very close to the path of Dive 12. 
3971R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2013, 08:53:52 AM »

And it is very close to the path of Dive 12.

Yes but, unfortunately, we have no video for the portion of Dive 12 that comes closest to the anomaly.  No Standard Def.  No HD.  Drives me nuts.
The Standard Def was being recorded on DVD in the command van, but the DVD filled up and didn't get changed - so no recorded Standard Def video for that part of the dive.  The HD camera had a 6 hour recording limit that ran out a few minutes before that part of the dive.  That last part of Dive 12 is the only period for which we have neither Standard Def nor HD video. 
The theme song for Niku VII should be Ray Charles' "If It Wasn't For Bad Luck" [...I'd have no luck at all]

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #141 on: June 06, 2013, 09:41:10 AM »

Hi Ric

Does bad luck follow u round haha, between the problems with the fish an rov, Then that happens with recording.

Amelia definitely don't want to be found for sure

Member# 416

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »

Amelia definitely don't want to be found for sure

I don't think it's Amelia.  It's the island's traditional guardian spirit Nei Manganibuka (translation: Ms. Old Lady of the Buka Trees).  She and I have never gotten along.

Patrick Dickson

• TIGHAR member
  • TIGHAR Member #3168A
« Reply #143 on: June 06, 2013, 10:38:25 AM »

I don't think it's Amelia.  It's the island's traditional guardian spirit Nei Manganibuka (translation: Ms. Old Lady of the Buka Trees).  She and I have never gotten along.

maybe a quick chat with a "local" on how to appease Ms. Old Lady, and a quick ceremony before getting down to business on the next Niku visit is in order   :D

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2013, 10:43:47 AM »

maybe a quick chat with a "local" on how to appease Ms. Old Lady, and a quick ceremony before getting down to business on the next Niku visit is in order   :D

Been there. Done that.  Tradition holds that whenever you go ashore on one of these islands, the first thing you do is put some island sand on your cheeks.  That breeze you feel is the island's guardian spirit sniffing you.  "Ahhh, this is a person of my island.  I will not molest him." 
We always do it, but it doesn't always work.

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »

Looks about the right size to be an Electra engine...

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #146 on: June 06, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »

Been there. Done that.  Tradition holds that whenever you go ashore on one of these islands, the first thing you do is put some island sand on your cheeks.  That breeze you feel is the island's guardian spirit sniffing you.  "Ahhh, this is a person of my island.  I will not molest him." 
We always do it, but it doesn't always work.

Maybe its your cologne Ric  :P

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #147 on: June 06, 2013, 12:52:31 PM »

Maybe its your cologne Ric  :P

What cologne?  Oooh...maybe that's the problem.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #148 on: June 06, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »

On a serious note, have you considered that the 'island spirits' may be objecting to the plan to remove the plane if found as it is now a part of the island?

Yes we live in a modern world but sometimes the old world prevails.  May be worth considering before the next expedition.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »

On a serious note, have you considered that the 'island spirits' may be objecting to the plan to remove the plane if found as it is now a part of the island?

Yes we live in a modern world but sometimes the old world prevails.  May be worth considering before the next expedition.

When we have our tongue in our cheek we try to remember not to bite down.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org