Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Sonar Target  (Read 218223 times)

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
Re: Sonar Target
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2013, 10:27:54 PM »

I may be wrong but I think the catchment areas may have moderate half hills, (Google"Talus Cones"), on them that slope south and north as well as the main west slope. They could be made up of rock piles from landslides and erosion over thousands of years. If you look at above water cliffs and canyons, you may see steep cliffs and at the bottom there are moderate sloped rocky piles (Talus cones). Plane parts could have run down the south slope of one of those rocky cones. See reply 58 for the debris trail3 pdf attached that shows what I am thinking. If you look at some of the sonar images where it fades to black at the cliff face you may be able to see hints of these moderate cones.
I think it is possible that a large section tumbled over the second cliff and when it hit the base it followed the slope of one of these rocky talus cones SW. This could have taken a long time, peeling skin and parts off on the jagged surface as in rolled down. See attachment and link
3971R

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:51:59 PM by G. Daspit »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2013, 01:42:14 AM »

Greg, I think you are correct. I have pointed out in previous threads that the Balderston Debris Field is situated in the swale, or valley, between a ridge to the North and another to the South.

This feature was also apparent to us as the ROV maneuvered in real time on a course parallel to the shoreline.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2013, 01:51:59 AM »

I may be wrong but I think the catchment areas may have moderate half hills, (Google"Talus Cones"), on them that slope south and north as well as the main west slope. They could be made up of rock piles from landslides and erosion over thousands of years. If you look at above water cliffs and canyons, you may see steep cliffs and at the bottom there are moderate sloped rocky piles (Talus cones). Plane parts could have run down the south slope of one of those rocky cones. See reply 58 for the debris trail3 pdf attached that shows what I am thinking. If you look at some of the sonar images where it fades to black at the cliff face you may be able to see hints of these moderate cones.
I think it is possible that a large section tumbled over the second cliff and when it hit the base it followed the slope of one of these rocky talus cones SW. This could have taken a long time, peeling skin and parts off on the jagged surface as in rolled down. See attachment and link

Slightly off topic! But that kind of feature may be why they have been unable to locate the body of Andrew Irvine on Everest when they are sure they know of his body’s location.  The theory being that searchers go up the slope in the natural gullies formed by the Tallus whereas his body if on the ‘ridge’ between the gullies (his route coming down from near the summit)  Will look out for the link later 

Patrick Dickson

• TIGHAR member
  • TIGHAR Member #3168A
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2013, 04:41:25 AM »

I just can't envision a scenario that would create that debris pattern.

We have to remember that the airframe has quite a bit of cable, wiring, conduit, piping, etc. routed
along it's length that will tend to hold it all together as the environmental forces try to disassemble it.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2013, 08:29:02 AM »

Slightly off topic! But that kind of feature may be why they have been unable to locate the body of Andrew Irvine on Everest when they are sure they know of his body’s location.  The theory being that searchers go up the slope in the natural gullies formed by the Tallus whereas his body if on the ‘ridge’ between the gullies (his route coming down from near the summit)  Will look out for the link later

Cf. "The Search for Andrew Irvine."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2013, 08:39:14 AM »

Slightly off topic! But that kind of feature may be why they have been unable to locate the body of Andrew Irvine on Everest when they are sure they know of his body’s location.  The theory being that searchers go up the slope in the natural gullies formed by the Tallus whereas his body if on the ‘ridge’ between the gullies (his route coming down from near the summit)  Will look out for the link later

Cf. "The Search for Andrew Irvine."

Beaten to it :( Thanks Marty :)

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2013, 09:04:31 AM »

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2013, 09:07:03 AM »

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2013, 09:20:17 AM »

See pdf for the hints I see of the slopes at the base of the cliff.
3971R

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2013, 09:28:27 AM »

Greg,

I see something that looks like Tallus but if you look at the first picture in post one you can see a whole lot of them which makes me wounder if its more to do with the action of the capture device?

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »

Nice job Greg!  Very helpful to visualize the scene.  Thanks!
Jim Stoveken

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2013, 02:05:39 PM »

Ric,
Does the "Sonar Target" come to you as a "vidio" if so can you post it?
Ted Campbell

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2013, 03:18:07 PM »

Hi All

Am currently on holiday in benidorm back sat look forward to reading up on latest developments an Ric love the research bullitin  :)

Thanks Richie
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Adam Marsland

• T2
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2013, 06:13:28 AM »

Way to go, Richie!  Front page on my AOL feed this morning. 

Assuming this is the fuselage, might it be worth looking around other photos for the wings?  The "T" shape Richie pointed out at the beginning of the thread might be a good candidate.  If you could find a corresponding shape on the other side somewhere, that would be even more suggestive...just a thought, and probably not an original one.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2013, 10:49:50 AM »

With all the new visitors to the site based on the media coverage of the sonar image (the topic of this thread), perhaps discussion of the Explorers club photo and legal issues on using it should have its own thread.
3971R

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:17:59 PM by G. Daspit »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org