Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Sonar Target  (Read 216849 times)

Laura Gridley

• T1
Re: Sonar Target
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2013, 10:25:02 PM »

Hi All

Thought i would post this link to some side sonar images  :)

http://www.enviroscan.com/html/gallery.html

Thanks Richie

Thanks for the link Richie.  Interesting images.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 01:44:22 AM »

The Drowning Victims images are how they found the remains of Donald Campbell.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:52:07 AM by Chris Johnson »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 08:46:27 AM »

Most of those excellent pictures look like there on a 'flat bed'.  Isn't ours on the side of a sea mount?

Yes.  That's what makes our images so difficult to interpret.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 09:16:42 AM »

As promised, here are some illustrations:
• The first attachment shows the best-resolution image with the new detail I mentioned earlier. There appears to be a break in the object corroborated by a corresponding break in the shadow.
• The next attachment shows how an Electra is likely to break up based on its construction and how Model 10s have come apart in known accidents.
• The third attachment shows what I think we MIGHT be looking at - the Center Section/Fuselage lying somewhat on its side.
• The fourth attachment shows that the length of the anomaly is generally consistent with the length of an Electra Center Section/Fuselage.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 10:56:24 AM »

Thanks for pic's Ric

Here is a link to a site on how to interpret sonar images, I found it helpful

https://www.blacklaserlearning.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=46

Richie
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2013, 12:25:24 PM »

Ric,
I looks very promissing and it is in the perfect spot!  Considering currents, etc. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »

Hi Ric

Do you have an over head scan of area, like the wing anomaly scan ?

Thanks Richie

Member# 416

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »

Do you have an over head scan of area, like the wing anomaly scan ?
No. We have multiple runs over the wing target because it was noticed and deemed worthy of further investigation at the time.  The anomaly we've been talking about was completely unnoticed until you spotted it in March.  This is all your fault. ;D

Jerry Simmons

• T1
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2013, 08:16:25 PM »

Thanks, Ric. Your overlays make a bit more sense to me. I just don't have the eye you guys do.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2013, 03:14:11 AM »

Hi Ric

Blame accepted  ;)

Member# 416

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2013, 09:08:02 AM »

We've just put up a research bulletin on the TIGHAR website that pulls all of the anomaly research together and offers some new explanations.  See Is This the Earhart Electra?

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »

Why does this statement fill me with dread? (think WOF)

This Target looks VERY promising, definitely NOT a Rock, it’s in the correct location on the Reef and also shows what I interpret as ‘drag’ markings on the Reef above and to the North behind the target as it obviously hasn’t quite settled into its final resting place yet, this movement is probably due to the occasional Storms or exceptional Tides that’ll move the target a few inches every time one blows through.
Question is, how long will the Target remain in that location before it gets the final nudge that will send it over the edge of the “Catchment” area and disappear down the 70 degree incline into the depths?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »

Why does this statement fill me with dread? (think WOF)

Dread-R-Us.  However, even if the main body of wreckage went to visit Davey Jones, smaller pieces of debris would probably remain behind (he said with a grim smile).

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2013, 09:26:32 AM »

Ric,

BTW nice peice.  Suppose the positive view is that it only seems to move a lttle year by year so as long as there's a few feet to the edge we may just have time to rattle the collection tins :)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2013, 09:36:01 AM »

Suppose the positive view is that it only seems to move a lttle year by year so as long as there's a few feet to the edge we may just have time to rattle the collection tins :)

FWIW, I don't think it's moving.  As I wrote in the article, it makes more sense that the "tail" behind the target is a debris field of components that spilled out when the fuselage hit the slope at the bottom of the cliff. 
The hypothesis goes like this:
• The airplane on the reef gets knocked off its gear and pushed over the edge, leaving a landing gear assembly (the Bevington Object) behind just as it did in the Luke Field crash.
• The landing gear assembly stays there at least until October when Bevington took the photo, but at some point it breaks free and sinks, ending up in the catchment area at 200 feet where Glickman spotted the pieces of it in the video. To be clear - the theory is that the debris field in the video is the broken-up Bevington Object. 
• The airplane gets busted up in the surf and sinks within a few minutes in the shallow water just past the reef edge. That's where it was, obscured by the surf, when Lambrecht and company flew over; when the Kiwis and Bushnell boys were there; and when Emily saw whatever part of it she saw in 1941.
• Eventually, the battered center section/fuselage goes over the second cliff, hits the slope at the bottom of the cliff at 600 feet, and skids along for a ways spilling its guts, before coming rest more or less on its side with the starboard-side wing stub sticking up.  To be clear - the anomaly is the center section/fuselage wreckage with a trail of debris strung out behind.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org