Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opening Attached Files  (Read 11715 times)

Norman Daly

• T1
Opening Attached Files
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »

Hi Marty...I've searched the forum, unsuccessfully, for guidance on how to open files (not the thumbnails in the body of the post) attached to posts. When I click on the file name to open it I get the following message: "IE can't download index.php from tighar.org. The site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again earlier". Do I need to adjust a setting in IE? Thanks, Norm
Norm Daly
4127R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Opening Attached Files
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »

Hi Marty...I've searched the forum, unsuccessfully, for guidance on how to open files (not the thumbnails in the body of the post) attached to posts. When I click on the file name to open it I get the following message: "IE can't download index.php from tighar.org. The site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again earlier". Do I need to adjust a setting in IE? Thanks, Norm

This is a new problem with which I'm unfamiliar, Norm.

Could you give me a direct link to the post that is causing you difficulties?
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »

Here is a suggestion from a friend:

See "IE8 will not respond to external links."

Use this link and do an "IE-Rereg.all." An external source has most likely compromised his IE Browser.  McAfee suggests this fix.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »

Here is another possible fix if the IE.reg.all doesn’t fix his problem.

In IE, go to the Tools>Internet Options>Programs>Manage Add-ons and see if there is any reference to that site there. If not there is a last resort possible fix, once again Tools>internet Options>Advanced then press reset at the bottom, this will set the browser back to new.

The only other clue I have is to delete his Flash Player Add-on and Install a current version 11.5 from Adobe.  Unless we know which version of Windows XP, 7 or 8 and what Version of IE he has, it makes it a bit difficult to adequately diagnose his problem.  One of the three should work for him if his operating system is Windows.

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Norman Daly

• T1
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:30:02 AM »

Ahoy Marty:

Sorry for the delay in responding. As I stated before, I can open the thumbnails in posts, but not the attached file versions of the thumbnails.  For instance, although I can open the thumbail in this post (https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,1087.msg23720.html#msg23720), I cannot open the attached .jpg file (propeller.jpg).

I'm running IE8 in Windows XP Pro.

Thanks, Norm
Norm Daly
4127R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »

Sorry for the delay in responding. As I stated before, I can open the thumbnails in posts, but not the attached file versions of the thumbnails.  For instance, although I can open the thumbail in this post (https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,1087.msg23720.html#msg23720), I cannot open the attached .jpg file (propeller.jpg).

By "open the thumbnails in posts," do you mean that the picture enlarges when you click on the thumbnail?

By "open the attached .jpg file," do you mean that when you click on the text that says "propeller.jpg", the file is not downloaded to your computer?

One workaround you might try if the picture does enlarge when you click on the thumbnail is to RIGHT-click on the picture, then select "view image."  When the window opens up with just the image showing, then RIGHT-click on the picture and select "save image as ...".

Other suggests are made above that may also be of some help.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Norman Daly

• T1
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »

Ahoy Marty:

When I click on a thumbnail image in a post, it does enlarge.

When I click on the thumbnail's attached file name (i.e "propeller.jpg") I get the message "IE can't download index.php from tigharg.org. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later." The attachment does not download to my computer.

I'll try the suggestions for a fix and let you know. What I was really hoping for was that the downloadable attachments would be more hi-res than the thumbnails...maybe I can then see the camels in the clouds.

Thanks, Norm
Norm Daly
4127R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »

When I click on a thumbnail image in a post, it does enlarge.

OK.  That's as large as it is going to get, I believe.

You may be able to get the full-size copy of the image as I suggested above: right-click enlarged image, select "view image," right-click image, select "save image as..."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org