Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Stoutish walking shoe or sandal?  (Read 181223 times)

Bob Lanz

• T4
Re: Stoutish walking shoe or sandal?
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2013, 11:01:24 AM »

She was fixing to land on one of the most remotest beaches on Earth. Beach Sandals would have been nice, don't you agree? I mean saddle shoes or oxfords are not your typical beach shoes.. :D Especially when your as stylish as AE was. 8) Just a thought..

Jimmie, I don't think that Amelia and Fred were fixin' to land anywhere but Howland for fuel, then on to Hawaii and were not planning to be walking on the beach in either location. IMO
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:33:27 AM by Bob Lanz »

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2013, 11:55:06 AM »

She was fixing to land on one of the most remotest beaches on Earth. Beach Sandals would have been nice, don't you agree? I mean saddle shoes or oxfords are not your typical beach shoes.. :D Especially when your as stylish as AE was. 8) Just a thought..

Jimmie, I hardly think that Amelia and Fred were fixin' to land anywhere but Howland for fuel, then on to Hawaii and were not intending to be walking on the beach in either location.

Well obviously they were not planning landing anywhere else other than Howland. Your right, why in the world would they be strolling the beach? It was just a thought. Sandals were indeed gaining popularity in the 30's. There just seems nothing stout or heavy about any of the shoes I see in the last flight photos. They all look similar to the picture of the 30's oxford shoe sole I posted earlier.  http://www.popscreen.com/p/MTI5MDkzNTA2/Vintage-Womens-Shoes-Oxfords-1930s-Black-Leather-CutoutPeeptoe-Sz-7-    That's why I asked earlier how you folks would describe this shoe sole if you had found it next to a cast away? I certainly would not describe it as stout or heavy.. It seems prudent to investigate stout and  heavy women's shoes of the 30's... Wedge, platform, and beach sandals were the stoutish, heaviest footwear I could find. Other than work boots for men.  I have read a coast guard telegram stating that AE and FN were expected to stay aboard the Itasca to rest after landing on Howland. So a walk on the beach, as unlikely as it seems, was a possibility. I've read Mr. Gillespie state, no one knows what was on the Electra when it departed from Lea..  Mr. Lanz, do you see a stoutish shoe on AE's feet in any picture? Correct me if I am wrong please, stout does mean "fat, strong, sturdy, corpulent, robust, stalwart, tough, or heavy in build?"
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2013, 12:18:28 PM »

I think that part of the sole of one of AE's two-tone sightseeing shoes might easily be described by Gallagher as being from a woman's (because of the light color) stoutish walking shoe or heavy sandal. I have yet to hear a more convincing (to me) explanation for why he described it the way he did.

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2013, 12:29:31 PM »

Mr. Lanz, do you see a stoutish shoe on AE's feet in any picture? Correct me if I am wrong please, stout does mean "fat, strong, sturdy, corpulent, robust, stalwart, tough, or heavy in build?"

Yes Jimmie, I do.  In my opinion this is a sturdy (stoutish) shoe for a woman and very practical for flying as well as walking on uneven terrain.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2013, 12:39:02 PM »

I don't see part-of-the-sole from Earhart's "flying" shoes being distinct from a man's shoe and certainly not something you would expect to see on a sandal.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2013, 08:25:23 PM »

Hi All

here is a pic with Amelia and Fred it is obvious that Amelia's shoes are more rounded at front than Fred's are.

unless they swapped   :) 
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2013, 08:53:10 PM »

A couple things have come to mind, given the the floor surface there doesn't seem to be any gouges in sole, So could these have been a second pair of shoes i.e spare ones,

Also Amelia's shoe sole is smooth surface, Were as Fred's are grooved.

Why didn't the crabs move shoe sole ?  as they done a good job spreading bones  :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2013, 03:27:40 PM »

I don't see part-of-the-sole from Earhart's "flying" shoes being distinct from a man's shoe and certainly not something you would expect to see on a sandal.

Most womens shoes these days that I have seen are not as wide as mens shoes and thus I would assume the sole would not be as wide.  Is this true of the shoes of that era and of the shoes that Amelia was wearing?

LTM,

Don

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »

Most womens shoes these days that I have seen are not as wide as mens shoes and thus I would assume the sole would not be as wide.  Is this true of the shoes of that era and of the shoes that Amelia was wearing?

Don, here is a picture, #1 below and found here in the Purdue e-Archives, of AE wearing her "two-tone sightseeing" shoes in Java. Fred N is to her right and an unidentified man, presumedly from Java, stands to her front.

In picture #2 below and found here in the Purdue e-Archives, shows AE and FN in Singapore. FN is to her left and several others, the shoes of 3 of that you can see, stand to the front of "our crew". In this photo AE appears to be wearing her "flying shoes".

Look at the pictures and draw your own conclusion about whether or not her shoes were smaller and more narrow than the men's shoes of the times.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »

"Look at the pictures and draw your own conclusion"

At the risk of being characterized as a pain in the posterior (yeah, OK, I admit it, I can be), what a lot of us have been doing with regards to parts of the Amelia and Fred saga is taking really old photos, manipulating them in various ways, and making guesses about what we think we see in the results.

Doesn't mean the guesses are bad. Doesn't mean they're good, either. BUT, the bottom line is, they are guesses. Most, if not all, of the people in those photos are now dead, so there are no contemporaneous witnesses to the actual event portrayed in the photograph at the time it really happened. The quality of a lot of these photos, because of the technology of the time, is not that great. The programs that a lot of us use to "examine" these photos does things to the images that changes the quality of the actual image and may in fact create new things that simply are not there.

As Dirty Harry once said, "A man's got to know his limitations." Just something I think we all need to keep in mind.

LTM, who knows PITA isn't just a kind of bread,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2013, 11:05:19 AM »

Monty, I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but the pictures that I posted above have not been altered in any way, merely enlarged a bit to make the shoes show up a bit better. You can look at the originals at the links that I posted.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »

Monty,

"The programs that a lot of us use to "examine" these photos does things to the images that changes the quality of the actual image and may in fact create new things that simply are not there."

With respect, what programs are you talking about that "a lot of us use"?

I disagree with you that the "quality of the actual image and may in fact create new things that simply are not there".  Unless you use the programs that "a lot of us use" to "enhance", by adjusting the image manually, the only thing you will get is an enlarged or an exact image of the photo, likely and simply, a better resolution.  The only thing IMO that could possibly change the quality or "add things that simply not there", is a defective graphics card or monitor, or a lack of knowledge in using the the program or programs you are using.  Sometimes a little screen cleaner on the monitor helps.  ;D
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »

I think that Monty is merely pointing out that none of us on this forum is an expert at photo interpretation.  It seems to be true that seeing is believing - whether the belief is justified or not.  I've been fooled enough times that I've learned to be very careful about drawing conclusions from photos.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2013, 06:43:20 PM »

Wishful thinking and unbridled optimism don't fetch us much very often, for sure.

On the other hand, ostrich poses don't advance knowledge and understanding very rapidly either. We need balance.

BTW, Jeff, what happened to all those interesting threads? Have they been relegated back into the closet?
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2013, 11:10:52 AM »

Carpnters and woodworkers knew the saying as... Measure THRICE, cut ONCE. 8)
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org