Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thanks to Betty  (Read 38352 times)

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
Re: Thanks to Betty
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »

Ric If there are no copyright issues you  can upload the file to the TIGHAR youtube channel, you may have  to run it through a video program but there doesn't have to be any images
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1696878?hl=en

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 10:51:34 AM »

Ric If there are no copyright issues you  can upload the file to the TIGHAR youtube channel, you may have  to run it through a video program but there doesn't have to be any images
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1696878?hl=en

Thanks Matt. Good idea.  I'll need to check with American Public Media about the copyright question.  We don't want to get sued.

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »

Isn't it realistic to believe that Betty would have a continued interest in convincing us of what she heard on her radio?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 09:03:50 PM »

Isn't it realistic to believe that Betty would have a continued interest in convincing us of what she heard on her radio?

No.  Betty really isn't interested in whether you believe her or not.  If we find the final conclusive proof while she's still with us, so much the better, but she's not counting on that.  She knows what she heard and she knows what happened.  She knows that I believe her and that all the people who sent such wonderful messages to her believe her.  She has a whole chapter in my book. She has been featured in television documentaries and public radio features. We've made her part of the Earhart story.  She feels vindicated. 

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 10:17:02 PM »

I believe it would without a doubt be very valuable to TIGHAR in more ways than one and even in ways that some may not be aware of if we were to hear from Betty. History and time are at stake.

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 10:45:42 PM »

Jeffrey,

If you search the forum, Tighar Tracks, and other Tighar resources you'll see that Betty has provided a lot of input, her notebook has been discussed in depth, and Ric has visited her recently to provide his thanks as well as thanks from many of the members here. I don't think she can provide any further input.
------
Doug

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 07:10:15 AM »

I believe it would without a doubt be very valuable to TIGHAR in more ways than one and even in ways that some may not be aware of if we were to hear from Betty. History and time are at stake.

One of the most interesting things about Earhart research is that people develop "beliefs" from which no amount fact can dissuade them.  You obviously feel strongly that hearing yet again directly from Betty would somehow be very valuable to TIGHAR.  Even if I agreed with you (which I do not), I would not subject her to public badgering when she has asked me to protect her privacy.

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 07:51:25 AM »

Ric, The only belief I want to foster is one that is based on the truth or as much of the truth as possible. Please do not basically define me in some kind of category.

If I heard what may have been Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan I believe I would have the desire to tell as many people as possible about it. Plain and simple. I don't believe I would be too concerned about badgering because I heard what I heard.

I would hope that you feel the same. And, I do believe TIGHAR and all of us will be that much closer to finding Amelia Earhart.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 08:08:35 AM »

If I heard what may have been Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan I believe I would have the desire to tell as many people as possible about it. Plain and simple. I don't believe I would be too concerned about badgering because I heard what I heard.

If you hear Amelia and Fred we'll be eager to learn whatever you have to tell us. Meanwhile, we'll respect Betty's wishes.

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »

One of the most interesting things about Earhart research is that people develop "beliefs" from which no amount fact can dissuade them.  You obviously feel strongly that hearing yet again directly from Betty would somehow be very valuable to TIGHAR.  Even if I agreed with you (which I do not), I would not subject her to public badgering when she has asked me to protect her privacy.
Ric, Thank you for being on honorable man.  There are far too few of them left these days.

matt john barth

• T1
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2013, 01:43:47 PM »

Dear Betty,
I first heard about you when I read the book Amelia Earhart's Shoes. I was facinated by the role you played, mostly because I loved doing the same thing you did and that was hop around the dial especially on the Short Wave Bands. So when I got older I became a Ham Operator so i could understand more about the radio. What you heard is called a "Band Opening" this happens a lot on short wave during the peak of the solar cycles. I'm not sure they new exactly what band openings were in 1937 and I wonder if that's why so many authorities of the day thought that the radio signals were a hoax. I am still researching this corner of the mystery. About the Wyoming boy that heard signals around the same time you did. Some say that the articles about him contradict themselves, I did some research on my own and I did confirm the boy's name was Dana not Charles as some argue. He was buried in L.A. California in 1986. So as you can see how important your role is in this. I have been fascinated by this mystery since I was maybe 8 years old, that would have been around 1982. My Grandpa was a pilot and sold airplanes, he flew over the Burmuda Triangle a few times and would scare me about it with the Amelia Earhart story. So possibly you helped put an end to the mystery. By the way I was working a band opening  the other day on 18megacycles to Japan from here in Colorado.

God Bless Your Sole,
Matt Barth
Matthew J. Barth

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org