Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: White Bird (Nungesser and Coli)  (Read 33206 times)

White Bird (Nungesser and Coli)
« on: October 28, 2012, 10:36:39 AM »

Hi!
Found this:
http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Charles_Nungesser_and_Francois_Coli
-------
Results: Solved. Since the segment, most of the craft and partial remains of the craft was located in the thick Maine wilderness on November 13, 2011. An analysis reveals that the pilots ran out of fuel and were forced to crash the plane.
--------
What happened November 13, 2011? Any information?

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
Re: White Bird (Nungesser and Coli)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »

I find it interesting that there are no links in the article to any reports of the 2011 "findings". I'll believe it when I can see it.
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 12:10:59 AM »

Jeff,
that's exactly what I think. I can't believe the mystery is solved and Ric doesn't know....

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 03:14:51 AM »

Why hasn't it made headline news anywhere?
This must be the place

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:58:25 AM »

Well, Nungesser isn't Amelia Earhart. I'm living in Europe and I can imagine nobody cares if the L'Oiseau Blanc (that means the remains of its engine) is found. Europe isn't as interrested in its aviation pioneers as the US is.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:20:09 AM »

Shame though Oskar. We have quite a lot of interest in the UK for aviation history, ww2 and all. Maybe there is a Market for TIGHAR's expertise over here in Europe after all, no one else seems to be interested.
This must be the place

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »

Sure Ric was suggesting a new TIGHAR search soon?

Marty - Could there be a Midnight Ghost section like we have the Maid of Harlech and the Devastators ?

Alan Harris

• T3
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 06:56:31 PM »

Hi!
Found this:
http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Charles_Nungesser_and_Francois_Coli
-------
Results: Solved. Since the segment, most of the craft and partial remains of the craft was located in the thick Maine wilderness on November 13, 2011. An analysis reveals that the pilots ran out of fuel and were forced to crash the plane.
--------
What happened November 13, 2011? Any information?

I'm pretty skeptical.  Right now I'm reading a new book published in 2012, "Atlantic Fever" by Joe Jackson.  (Which I recommend, by the way.)  In the Nungesser section it says:

1.  There are witness accounts saying that at the time the White Bird was leaving Newfoundland, over water, a bootlegger's rum boat in heavy fog heard an airplane overhead and feared it was US Treasury agents.  They fired their guns blindly upward toward the sound, and heard a loud "bang".

2.  Coming down in the water is somewhat corroborated by a recently discovered Coast Guard message from 8/18/1927 saying that remains of a "white aircraft" were spotted roughly 200 miles off New York.  That is approximately where it could have drifted in the prevailing currents.

I can offer no opinion as to whether any of that is true, but my point is that this 2012 book mentions some "recent" findings but says nothing about the supposed event in November 2011 or the mystery being "solved".

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 07:54:22 PM »

Could there be a Midnight Ghost section like we have the Maid of Harlech and the Devastators ?

Great idea! 

If you are reading this, you have arrived in the new Midnight Ghost section.  If you can't read this, well, there's no point in typing any more, is there?   ;D
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:24:45 AM »

Could there be a Midnight Ghost section like we have the Maid of Harlech and the Devastators ?

Great idea! 

If you are reading this, you have arrived in the new Midnight Ghost section.  If you can't read this, well, there's no point in typing any more, is there?   ;D

Thank's, Marty, I always thought MIDNIGHT GHOST should have a section by its own!
It would be interesting to know what Ric can tell us about the case ("solved")
Oskar

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 03:00:16 AM »

Many thanks Marty  :)

Something else to whet the appetite!

Vahe Demirjian

• T1
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 05:07:17 PM »

I read a recent blogpost detailing the possible discovery of L'Oiseau Blanc (http://www.marilynztomlins.com/articles/nungesser-and-coli-plane-found-at-last-or-not). As described in the blogpost, in 1961, a fisherman retrieved a large section of plane debris off the coast of Maine and the wreckage itself was ferried to Paris. I haven't heard of whether the wreckage still exists in a collection at Le Bourget Airport, but photos of the wreckage suggest that those pieces fit over the plane on photographs which were taken of it during its construction.

This long-forgotten development is apparently the elephant in the room when it comes to solving the mystery of nungesser and Coli's disappearance. It would provide the best evidence that nungesser and coli crashed their plane in Maine, and it might spell the end of Project Midnight Ghost.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 05:08:50 PM by Vahe Demirjian »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »

This long-forgotten development is apparently the elephant in the room when it comes to solving the mystery of nungesser and Coli's disappearance.

There is no elephant in the room but there is plenty of bovine manure. 

Vahe Demirjian

• T1
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 05:20:19 PM »

This long-forgotten development is apparently the elephant in the room when it comes to solving the mystery of nungesser and Coli's disappearance.

There is no elephant in the room but there is plenty of bovine manure.

You're just being silly, Ric. When I say "elephant in the room", I'm talking about an obvious truth that is either being ignored or going unaddressed. In the case of the trying to find out why Nungesser and Coli disappeared, the discovery of aircraft wreckage off the cost of Maine in 1961 (see http://www.marilynztomlins.com/articles/nungesser-and-coli-plane-found-at-last-or-not for more details) has been virtually overlooked by almost all researchers who consider Maine a possible crash site of L'Oiseau Blanc. The fact that the fisherman in Maine saw aircraft wreckage off the coast and retrieved it a long time ago helps explain why TIGHAR couldn't find any aircraft wreckage in Gull Pond in Newfoudland or the Maine wilderness as part of Project Midnight Ghost.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »

I am familiar with Decre's investigation of l'Oiseau Blanc and I am not impressed.  Last year he got some publicity by totally misreading and misinterpreting a U.S.Coast Guard telegram.
This latest claim sounds like classic Decre.  Show me one scrap of documentation that the discovery of aircraft wreckage off the coast of Maine in 1961 ever happened.  Show me a newspaper article from that time.  Show me the photo Decre says he has seen.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org