Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Debris Field Found?  (Read 246047 times)

Kevin Weeks

• T3
Re: Debris Field Found?
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2012, 05:40:27 AM »

In this post I asked if the extent of the Norwich City debris field is properly understood https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,913.msg18492.html#msg18492 .

The reason being that ships are not comprised solely of large chunks of iron plates and girders. There are a myriad of small parts which are tubular like pipes, davits, railing etc. and when we get to the bridge, radio room and engine room areas instruments, switches etc. Any one of these smaller objects if covered in silt and marine growth could easily mimic an aircraft component. I grant that a distinctive item like a radial engine would be easy to spot but if we are dealing with a dispersed and fragmented debris field like that which appears to result from the Norwich City then I suggest that a proper step in the search is to first define that. That photo from the kite of the debris on the reef at low tide offers clear evidence of just how varied the shapes of the wreckage fragments can be. One wonders what it is like beneath the surface on the reef slopes.   

there are even things on a ship which looks amazingly like electra landing gear.....

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2012, 08:21:04 AM »

I think you have found the ' smoking gun'    Case closed, mystery solved ?   congrads...
Shhhh... Don't tell Ric.  We're gonna let him think he solved it.

:D   Congrats to you, John . . . good one!   :D
Don't encourage him Alan.  Seinfeld he ain't.   ;)

Hello James, I have looked at the manipulated image you have posted...
I haven't posted any images, manipulated or otherwise Malcolm. 
Jim Stoveken

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2012, 08:28:01 AM »

... what we haven't had is a single image that shows a verified aircraft component.

Agreed.

I doubt that either verification or falsification are possible without returning to the location photographed with a suitable ROV that can pick things up, if they are things.

In other words, I intend to contribute to Niku VIII.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2012, 08:31:39 AM »

In answer to your question about the additional video footage I have no idea, you better ask the good people at TIGHAR.

I am not one of the people who know the answer to the question. 

Using unscientific methods of predicting future behavior from past behavior, I think we won't know when the video will be released.  The characteristic method of the people most responsible for TIGHAR's day-to-day activities is to post things when they think they are ready to be posted.  They don't work to rule and they don't have a schedule of future release dates for research that they want to make available for public consideration.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2012, 01:44:38 PM »

Leon, I don't know what you found when you "gougled a pratt and whitney 945-engine".

The Pratt & Whitney R-1340, also called the Wasp, was the engine used on AE's L-10E special. Another widely used Pratt & Whitney engine, developed from the R-1340, was the R-985 called the Wasp Junior. See this write-up, P&W engines.

I am not familiar with a P&W-945.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2012, 03:35:26 PM »

my bad - it was  the 985 - fat fingered it, which i do too often.

L

Ha ha, fat fingered it,  ;D

Had coffee, coming out me nose then  ;) 
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2012, 03:53:17 PM »

my bad - it was  the 985 - fat fingered it, which i do too often.

L

Don't feel bad. I do that all the time. I have been doing this for years and still mostly use the "two finger" method of typing.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2012, 06:48:46 PM »

Richie did that resolute in shorting out your keyboard, and was it really hot fresh brew?

Rob

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2012, 07:23:10 PM »

Hello Leon

Thanks for the suggests, I hope your revealations prove interesting when you decide to make them public.  In my opinion there are many man made objects in the field. Several more bottles have turned up for me.  I have not yet noted any searchlight or searchlight accessories by the way.

Does PM stand for private mail?

Thanks Rob

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »

Does PM stand for private mail?

Sort of.  "Private Messaging."  You can send messages to other registered users in private.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2012, 08:06:01 PM »

Here are some more items of possible aircraft debris to consider.

Picture 1: Yellow outline, possible vertical stabilizer(covered by other debris)? Yellow arrow pointing to horizontal stabilizer?
Red outline, possible wing root? Red arrow pointing to Wing(removed from wing root)?

Picture 2: Picture without the markings.

Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Paul Atkinson

• T1
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »

I really hope the HD pictures and video are made available to all. 

As an astronomer I am reminded of a similar search some 80+ years ago.  There was an astronomer, Percival Lowell, that was convinced there was an object outside of Neptunes orbit that was also affecting the orbit of Uranus.  Nobody had seen it, there was no proof of it, but Lowell was was convinced of it.  Some years later, a 23 year old Clyde Tombaugh was charged with finding this trans-Neptunian object.  Planet "X" as it was known, was predicted by Lowell and William Pickering and while working as an astronomer at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona, Tombaugh was tasked with finding it.  He used a tool called a blink comparator to study two images of the same region of the sky taken several nights apart. He would display one image and then blink to the second image to see if any objects had moved from night to night.  And on February 18, 1930 Tombaugh finally succeeded.  The object he found is now known as Pluto.

So what does that have to do with Amelia?  Ric and the rest of his team have laid a wonderful foundation for the possible discovery of the smoking gun...Amelia's "Planet X".  Making the photo's available will allow many eyes to comparatively blink, search and look.  Maybe parts of a plane are there, maybe they're not.  But it is an exciting proposition to think that a member of this forum, or a member of the TIGHAR team, may be on the brink of helping solve one of the greatest remaining mysteries in the modern era.  I eagerly await the opportunity to help participate in the process.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »

An exciting time on planet Earth it is! 8)
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »

Thanks Martin x.,

I got you mixed up with another gentleman last night on a post around 23:30 or 24:00. But I wanted to past along my thanks for generating the tutorials.  You did the Norwich Debris Field as well I believe.  That really lays it out and answered my question if the other anchor and chain hawse pipe was still on the surface.  That is quite the rats nest of anchor chain in the location of the now gone chain locker.   Hopefully there is not another one on bottom.

I am back at the shop desktop, just pulled, expanded and labeled the object with  a Smart Drew program.  Hopefully this data tranfers correctly so its kind of a test.

Pssttt, It's not a searchlight or search light accessories. Keep that on the down low.

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2012, 10:13:22 PM »

there are even things on a ship which looks amazingly like electra landing gear.....

Thank you Kevin - that illustrates the point I was making perfectly. Unfortunately as with the ROV video this one picture is generating a plethora of examples of the many shapes that randomly broken coral can assume.

The problem remains that unless there is clear data on the extent of the Norwich City debris field, and importantly what is in it, vis-à-vis that of the hypothesised debris field of the Electra then I do not think that any clear conclusions can be reached.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org