Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Debris Field Found?  (Read 246038 times)

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
Re: Debris Field Found?
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »

Ric,

Congratulations

Was the box, seen in the Discovery special, just before the stuck AUV was found, close to the aircraft debris field?
Was the ROV ascending, descending or moving horizontal when it shot the debris field image?
Was it filming during the periods before and after?

3971R

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »

Hey  Tom, sorry for the confusion, that photo was just to show the objects from Richie and Jeff that I was trying to locate in the new debris field and was in now way meant as a new discovery. The black squiggly was not the line I was talking about but meant the stretched out black rope in the trough in the sand.  I have been working off a laptop at home and just stopped by the shop to view the debris field on a "big screen".  Yes I have located the object from the Still From ROV.  Like Leon said yesterday rotate the photo 180 degrees and the three arrows will be on the left side then.  The lower of the three arrows points directly at the strut,  the tire and hub are just to the right of the center arrows shank.  The Black Squilly is visible as well.  I'd sent a annotated photo but I can't get the photo to copy and paste on this computer right now.  Nice work Leon.

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2012, 05:06:39 PM »

Hello Ric

A couple questions please:
1.  Did the ROV pilots ever mention if the currects were very strong while operating on the slope or on bottom?
2.  Do you know if the City of Norwich was equipped with a stern anchor system as well?

Thanks Rob

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »

The Landing gear with fender is what I am confident about.

Gregory,

Sorry, I didn't realize your post was about the image overlay of the wheel/fender I posted in Reply #162 based on the images in the pdf you posted in Reply #79.

The match between the actual wheel photo you posted and the image in the debris field is remarkable. The overlay of the real wheel photo on the debris surprised me. The scaling is perfect. Of all the images I've looked at in this thread that one stands out as a high confidence match.

Great catch on seeing the debris image and finding a matching photo.

Edit: See Later Post. After looking at the ROV HD video I think this is a rock/coral formation. The view at about 0:52 secs looks like a wheel assembly. At about 1:12 it doesn't.
------
Doug

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:33:17 AM by Doug Giese »

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »

In this post I asked if the extent of the Norwich City debris field is properly understood https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,913.msg18492.html#msg18492 .

The reason being that ships are not comprised solely of large chunks of iron plates and girders. There are a myriad of small parts which are tubular like pipes, davits, railing etc. and when we get to the bridge, radio room and engine room areas instruments, switches etc. Any one of these smaller objects if covered in silt and marine growth could easily mimic an aircraft component. I grant that a distinctive item like a radial engine would be easy to spot but if we are dealing with a dispersed and fragmented debris field like that which appears to result from the Norwich City then I suggest that a proper step in the search is to first define that. That photo from the kite of the debris on the reef at low tide offers clear evidence of just how varied the shapes of the wreckage fragments can be. One wonders what it is like beneath the surface on the reef slopes.   

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2012, 06:51:23 PM »

Doug, Welcome to the forum. Nice first post and photoshop skills. Working on finding a similar angle to show the broken rear of the plane at the top now
3971R

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2012, 09:20:41 PM »

The reason being that ships are not comprised solely of large chunks of iron plates and girders.   

Yeah Malcolm, but how many ships have Electra type landing gear?   ::)
Jim Stoveken

john a delsing

• T2
  • Minnesota Johnny D.
« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2012, 09:53:21 PM »

James,
   Please show us the landing gear . . .  I think you have found the ' smoking gun'    Case closed, mystery solved ?   congrads...
The Earth is Full

Alan Harris

• T3
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2012, 10:04:06 PM »

James,
   Please show us the landing gear . . .  I think you have found the ' smoking gun'    Case closed, mystery solved ?   congrads...

:D   Congrats to you, John . . . good one!   :D

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2012, 10:55:45 PM »

Hello All

Below is my interpetation of the landing gear which differs from Gregory's in #79 and Doug's in #162 with the location of the tire (maybe caused from my flipping the photo).  The Black Squiggly is clearly visible in Gregory's post in the center photo.  Please forgive me if I get peoples names mixed up as to who initated different finds.  I'm back at home on the smaller laptop screen and it is much more difficult to make out objects then on the desk top monitor.  This view has been rotated 180 degrees as suggested by Leon in #148 and you need to magnify it some but not too much.

Leon are "you" seeing a motor there as your post possibly suggests?  This afternoon on the desk top I  located a circular mass with alot of what appeared to be complicated ducting (exhaust?) and maybe cylinders which is not clear on the laptop tonight.

Thanks Rob

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »

The reason being that ships are not comprised solely of large chunks of iron plates and girders.   

Yeah Malcolm, but how many ships have Electra type landing gear?   ::)

Hello James, I have looked at the manipulated image you have posted and I think my original question regarding the extent and possible mixed content of the debris field still stands. The two threads on this forum dealing with undersea images have certainly had a plethora of screen grabs with lines and arrows drawn on them by people claiming to see all sorts of aircraft components but what we haven't had is a single image that shows a verified aircraft component.

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2012, 11:38:31 PM »

Malcolm when will the additional video footage mentioned earlier in the week be released?
I must say I find your last statement a bit of a shock that no aircraft components were seen (that will fire up the troops!), I may agree with the mixed content though.

Thanks for the tutorials that have helped me and the City of Norwich Deris Field photo,  I will state researching my stern anchor system question.

I have added Sea Anemones to my last photo and to the ROV Still Object (and new unknown item-at least for me) for comparison as well.

Thanks Rob

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »

Malcolm when will the additional video footage mentioned earlier in the week be released?
I must say I find your last statement a bit of a shock that no aircraft components were seen (that will fire up the troops!), I may agree with the mixed content though. .....
Thanks Rob

In answer to your question about the additional video footage I have no idea, you better ask the good people at TIGHAR. As for my comment on the aircraft components I'd be telling a lie if I said I saw any verifiable aircraft components in those pics - you wouldn't want to do that would you? I see some shapes that could be man made but looking at them again they could just be coral or marine life with coincidental resemblances to man made objects. The way I see it if they are that uncertain then I prefer to remain neutral in the matter, plus if by some chance they are man made then is there contamination from the Norwich City debris. Lots of questions - always questions, but that is how science works.   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:58:46 PM by Malcolm McKay »

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2012, 12:02:21 AM »

Sorry Malcolm, I got you mixed up with Martin.   I am seeing cross eyed and not spelling too well so enough for tonight.

TIGHAR when will the additional footage be released, soon I hope.

Good night all
Rob

« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2012, 12:36:14 AM »

For me, the most interesting question now is: WHAT will TIGHAR do next? What is planned? Is there anyone knowing details?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org