Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fair Shake?  (Read 22779 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Fair Shake?
« on: December 13, 2014, 05:02:24 PM »

The cover of the January 2015 issue of Smithsonian Magazine (not Air & Space Smithsonian) features the well-known portrait of a very young AE decked out in a white leather flying helmet (a vastly different person from the weathered and hardened 39 year-old who disappeared in 1937). Emblazoned in large orange letters "Amelia Earhart - New Clues, New Controversy."  Tag line: "Nearly eighty years after she disappeared the search heats up for the world's most famous female pilot."

I haven't seen the article yet.  The writer, Jerry Adler, was formerly the science editor for Newsweek.  Jerry and I spent an afternoon together in October followed by numerous emails. Jerry was well aware that the article made me nervous.  What are the chances that we will get a fair shake from Smithsonian when the senior staff of one the institution's museums is irrationally hostile to TIGHAR?  My impression from working with Jerry Adler is that he is a top notch journalist with a finely-honed sense of fairness but anyone who writes for a periodical must abide by the wishes of the magazine's editors.  Needless to say, I'll be interested to see how we are treated.

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
Re: Fair Shake?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »

I, too, will be interested in reading this article when the publication hits the newsstands.  A comforting thought to keep in mind (and I know you know this, too):  As we seemingly have found the "smoke from the smoking gun" and as we narrow and refine our searching - 2-2-V-1, the Bevington Object, the Conroy Anomaly, Betty's Notebook, lotion bottles, knife blades, etc. - I'm confident we will eventually be able to produce "the smoking gun" and eventually the "any idiot artifact".  Our methods are precise and rational.  The other theorist's beliefs without evidence and based on the unverifiable cannot trump the careful and methodical search for the truth.  Lady Franklin refused to believe John Rae even to the point of vilifying the poor man only because he had found that the truth isn't always pretty or convenient.  History has over time proven otherwise - Rae (and others) discovered the demise of Franklin and his shipmates.  Even Crozier, the first officer, if he did survive (and there is some evidence that may indicate just that), he may have chosen to disappear into the wilds of Northern Canada rather than face the responsibility of the dissolution of military protocols and starving men's behaviors during the icy march to Back's River.

You, sir, will prevail....and we are here to support you in the quest which we find to be fascinating and true.
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 08:06:25 PM »

You, sir, will prevail....and we are here to support you in the quest which we find to be fascinating and true.

Thank you Friend. It is your quest as much as it is mine.

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »

I don't normally buy magazines, but I will definitely be picking up a copy.  Things are getting interesting!

Scott C. Mitchell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 09:46:02 AM »

Interesting reference to the Franklin expedition, Friend.  Several parallels between those lost ships and AE's journey:  Both expeditions departed with publicity.  Both had experienced commanders with "long-shot" missions (Franklin, to find the Northwest Passage; AE, to circumnavigate the globe).  Both disappearances involved fragmentary communications that generated more questions than answers (Franklin, a one-page standard-form Admiralty note with little information and a misleading statement of intentions of the survivors; with Amelia, that handful of terse radio messages).  Both losses inspired immense and heroic searches, to no avail.  Both disappearances required painstaking reconstruction and parsing of many theories to the fate of the lost.  Both produced scattered artifacts that hinted at the solutions.  Until recently, the ships / aircraft themselves remained hidden (until the dramatic discovery of Franklin's ship Terror this year).  Investigations for both have been helped by tenuous but revealing testimony: with Franklin, the Innuit story-telling, and with AE, the remembrances of the Nikumaroro inhabitants plus the scattering of radio calls reported received post landing.  And in both cases, the much of the mystery is what happened *after* the ships were trapped in the ice and the aircraft crash-landed on Nikumaroro.  Neither lost party produced a record, as far as we know, what happened then, or such records were lost.  Of course, with the Franklin expedition, the diligent tracking down of clues and search for new evidence eventually led to the discovery of one of the ships. 

Scott

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »

Interesting reference to the Franklin expedition, Friend. 

Scott, that's a remarkably astute comparison.  Do you mind if I use it elsewhere (credited to you of course)?

Scott C. Mitchell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 10:58:39 AM »

But of course, Ric.  One more comparison:  both the Franklin expedition and the AE journey had ready-made "conventional wisdom" solutions.  In the Franklin case, a single line in that one page Admiralty report sheet was taken to mean that the the entire crew of both ice-locked ships -- over 100 men -- sought to reach civilization by marching together over the Canadian Arctic wastes to reach a river heading south, dragging heavy sleds with boats loaded with tons of supplies.  This CW disregarded Innuit testimony and other evidence to the contrary, largely because this story-line fit the Victorian heroic ideal of stalwart Englishmen attempting the impossible together and dying in their tracks.  It took painsaking research by hundreds of investigators over the decades to piece together a more accurate and far more gripping alternative narrative of what actually happened.  The AE saga has its own CW narrative:  AE got lost and crashed into the sea when she ran out of gas.  Just as in the Franklin CW, evidence to the contrary on the AE mystery has been dismissed as not fitting the "accepted" storyline.  But the intrepid researchers  at TIGHAR have put together a mosaic of disparate facts that tell a different story.

Scott, #3292

Mark Appel

• T3
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 11:09:42 PM »

TIGHAR needn't be overly concerned about getting a "fair shake" from the Smithsonian or any other media. The press can't be controlled and under the best circumstances rarely get it completely right. And despite protestations to the contrary, are seldom concerned about being fair.

TIGHAR's body of work and adherence to the Scientific Method can and will withstand ill-formed and unsupportable challenges. Any resulting debate that precipitates from the article will only move work on the Niku hypothesis forward (however painful it may feel at the moment!).

Allons!
"Credibility is Everything"

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 05:33:05 AM »

But of course, Ric.  One more comparison:  both the Franklin expedition and the AE journey had ready-made "conventional wisdom" solutions.  In the Franklin case, a single line in that one page Admiralty report sheet was taken to mean that the the entire crew of both ice-locked ships -- over 100 men -- sought to reach civilization by marching together over the Canadian Arctic wastes to reach a river heading south, dragging heavy sleds with boats loaded with tons of supplies.  This CW disregarded Innuit testimony and other evidence to the contrary, largely because this story-line fit the Victorian heroic ideal of stalwart Englishmen attempting the impossible together and dying in their tracks.  It took painsaking research by hundreds of investigators over the decades to piece together a more accurate and far more gripping alternative narrative of what actually happened.  The AE saga has its own CW narrative:  AE got lost and crashed into the sea when she ran out of gas.  Just as in the Franklin CW, evidence to the contrary on the AE mystery has been dismissed as not fitting the "accepted" storyline.  But the intrepid researchers  at TIGHAR have put together a mosaic of disparate facts that tell a different story.

Scott, #3292

Scott,
Your research into the comparisons between the 150-year history of the Franklin Expedition investigations and the now 77-year history of Earhart's disappearance was fascinating.  I was motivated from reading you to take a look at some of the history to see if more comparative points might emerge.  The book Frozen in Time by Owen Beattie and John Geiger provided a few more items of interest, but your initial observations highlighted all the most notable ones.  Here are a few more notes of comparison between the two searches that may be of some minor note:

Both investigations appear to have had:

1. Sites whose archaeological record contains multiple and interacting entries by disparate peoples:  Original searchers for Franklin's Expedition in 1850 had moved many artifacts far from where they had originally been deposited.  The Seven Site, by comparison, was visited by Coast Guardsmen and colonists who may have moved or even shot some of the artifacts.

2.  Repurposing of artifacts for local uses, sometimes as playthings for children, sometimes as components of fishing rods:  The Franklin Expedition log books may have encountered this type of fate.  Reports of children ripping out the pages of 'books with markings' had circulated.

3.  Lost focus on the search due to an intervening war:  In the case of Earhart, World War II diverted attention away from the lost fliers and may have provided a geopolitical motive for not alerting American authorities of the discovery of the Nikumaroro bones.  In the case of Franklin, the Crimean War diverted attention from new discoveries in the search by explorer John Rae.

4.  Eerie similarities in the types of artifacts found with the passage of many decades:  parts of shoes, canvas pieces, earthenware container fragments, a medicine bottle, a clear bottle with tantalizing markings.

5.  More recent phases of the investigation turn toward scientific data rather than data combed from secondary and primary anecdotal sources:  "...all the volumes written about the doomed expedition combined were not able to provide the scientific data Beattie had already gained from the scanty physical remains found on King William Island."

Some of these points may in fact be common to all investigations involving archaeological work.  Others are, to me, quite startling in that they illustrate how, to paraphrase Mark Twain, history doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.

Again, fascinating work on your part, Scott.  I was absorbed by it!

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR #3078ER
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:14:54 AM by Joe Cerniglia »

Scott C. Mitchell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »

Those are excellent additonal comparisons, Joe.  Here's another:  commingling of stories/artifacts with other journeys.  The Franklin stories and some artifacts could have come from the few but notable expeditions that came before and after Franklin.  Stories of "ship trapped in the ice" could have applied to other explorers within a 50-year time span, and some sledding expeditions (such as Dr. Rae) who were exploring the Canadian Arctic around the same time on foot could have been mistaken for Franklin survivors.  With Amelia and Fred, other occupants on the island and other alleged aircraft wrecks have the similar effect of mixing in jig-saw puzzle pieces from another set.

And yet another:  In both cases, something went horribly wrong that set in motion a chain of events that led to tragedy.  With Franklin, the two ships -- Erebus & Terror -- were the "moon shot" of that time, with the best of exploring technology. Both ships were specially modified to withstand ice pressure, were equipped with steam heating and had provisions for five years that could be stretched into seven.  But within three years, the ships had been abandoned and the crews scattered in the open over the  frozen wastes.  Nobody knows why; scurvy or lead poisoning (either from the tinned provisions or the lead pipes in the ships (from which they drew their hot tea water) are suspects.  With Amelia, the navigation seems to have been at fault, but what was the precipitating event that led one of the Pacific's best navigators astray?

One last comparison:  both searches were limited and hamstrung by what later searchers thought the explorers *should* have done.  With Franklin, the notion of the whole party trudging together, pulling lifeboats, to reach one of the south-bound rivers, was the working motif, so that was the direction of the search.  With Amelia, the assumption that the Electra circled (or flew in an expanding box pattern) around Howland, reinforced the "crashed and sank" theory; the searchers felt no need to look for alternatives.

Scott

Sheryl McCallister

• T1
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 12:39:44 PM »

The book Frozen in Time by Owen Beattie and John Geiger

Downloaded and read this last night. This kind of stuff is why I haunt the TIGHAR boards--no search engine on the planet would have come up with this book--and yet it's exactly the kind of history/archeology/mystery thing I love.

Thanks for the book, Joe.  :)

Paul March

• T1
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »

Fair shake? Maybe not a fair shake... but 13 year-old Sydney certainly makes it worth while. Well done Sydney! Well done Ric!  :)

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 02:43:44 PM »

I rise to nominate Sydney as a remote (tele-presence?) member of the Niku VIII Expedition.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 05:05:03 PM »

I rise to nominate Sydney as a remote (tele-presence?) member of the Niku VIII Expedition.

We've made her a TIGHAR member and I'll second the motion to make her an honorary member of the Niku VIII team.  Tele-presence will be tough but I could certainly call her via satphone to give a report from the field.

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 08:52:40 PM »

Here's a link to the article: Smithsonian Magazine

LTM and happy 2015 to all :)

TIGHAR #4284R

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org