Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Birdshit Patrol  (Read 10399 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
The Birdshit Patrol
« on: June 26, 2013, 06:30:39 PM »

I was browsing through the New Zealand maritime records again when I came across this ship,  the Auxiliary Patrol Vessel H.M.S. Viti

http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/viti.htm

1941     September 11     Departed from Ocean Island and arrived at Gardner Island (now Nikumaroro) a week later.  After a brief stop she continued on to Canton, Sydney and Hull islands, returning to Nikumaroro on the 25th.

1941     November 25     Called at Gardner Island, where Aram Tamia, Bauro Tikana and Esera came aboard briefly and met with the High Commissioner.

1941     November 29     Sailed for Gardner Island at 4:30 p.m. The messing records indicate that Johnny, the handyman at Canton came aboard for transport to Gardner. 

1941     November 30     Returned to Gardner Island at 11:00 a.m. The provisioning records of the vessel show a charge of two shillings per diem for the transport of a nurse from Gardner Island to Suva, a voyage of 11 days.

Just thought that there may have been more voyages to Gardner Island than we currently know of and therefore, maybe one or two of them may turn up some new evidence. This particular ship arrived at Gardner Island in 1941 and returned on a number of occasions. The title 'birdshit patrol' was the New Zealand crews sense of humour...' She was on what her crew called "the birdshit patrol" protecting the Phosphate shipping, guano?

This must be the place

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:34:15 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: The Birdshit Patrol
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 06:40:59 PM »

The Viti was the little boat on which Gallagher suffered and died.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 06:58:59 PM »

Thanks Marty. I hadn't come across that report before, that was one hell of an operation to perform in the field for sure.
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:20:54 PM »

Name:  Mullins, James Patrick
Title:  Captain
Born:  c1893
Died:  March 1969
Role:  Captain
Abstract:  DEATH OF A COLOURFUL SEAMAN Captain James Patrick Mullins (76) who died in Auckland was described by the Fiji Times as one of Fiji's most colourful sea captains. Captain Mullins who was born in Wairoa, Hawke's Bay started his career in square-rigged sailing ships and later was master of the Governor's ship PIONEER. He commanded HMS VITI on her delivery voyage to Fiji, remaining as her wartime commander. Captain Mullins served as assistant Harbourmaster in Suva, and became principal of the Suva Rehabilitation Nautical School. He was awarded the OBE in 1955. "Primarily a man of the sea, his immense interest in people gave him an inquiring mind that made him both an indefatigable questioner and the source of innumerable stories..." said a Fiji Times editorial. Captain Mullins who was predeceased by his wife, was flown to Fiji for burial.

This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »

Men of the Fiji navy ship Viti parade on the blasted ground of Betio, Tarawa, in the Gilbert Islands during World War Two. They were honouring 22 New Zealanders executed on the spot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelfield/3478647977/in/set-72157623099353954/

The Fiji ratings on the Fiji colonial navy ship Viti during World War Two

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelfield/3478647909/in/set-72157623099353954
This must be the place

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:38:48 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »

Just thought that there may have been more voyages to Gardner Island than we currently know of and therefore, maybe one or two of them may turn up some new evidence. This particular ship arrived at Gardner Island in 1941 and returned on a number of occasions. The title 'birdshit patrol' was the New Zealand crews sense of humour...' She was on what her crew called "the birdshit patrol" protecting the Phosphate shipping, guano?

We're very familiar with those voyages. The September 1941 voyage installed coast watchers on various islands in the Gilberts before proceeding on to Gardner with an increasingly ill Gerald Gallagher aboard.  We have interviewed Fuoua Tofiga who was a high-level clerk/secretary at WPHC headquarters in Fiji and accompanied the November 1941 voyage.  The nurse who was transported from Gardner to Suva was Segalo Samuela, known to us as Emily Sikuli.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:54:27 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 01:23:29 AM »

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:30:32 AM »

I had not had the opportunity to read Dr. MacPhearsons account of Gallaghers death, but just reading that now made it so personal. You felt like you were there, and with my limited medical knowledge I could tell that Gerald was one sick puppy. It makes one realize how remote and on the edge of the frontier some of these places were (and still are!) and how those who were out there pre-war were pretty much on there own. A lot of courageous people toiled for many years out there. I am in awe!
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 10:56:48 AM »

A lot of courageous people toiled for many years out there. I am in awe!

Eric Bevington, a devout Quaker, described Gerald Gallagher to me as, "The most Christ-like individual I have ever known."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org