Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attempted B-29 recovery  (Read 24817 times)

C.W. Herndon

• T5
Re: Attempted B-29 recovery
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 01:11:09 PM »

I'm sure they could have. I rode in one twice and hated every minute of it. Loudest aircraft I was ever in!
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Chris Austin

• T2
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 07:10:17 AM »

In the mid '80s we went on vacation in Norfolk and stayed at a camping site a couple of miles from Gt. Yarmouth. What we didn't know was that the helicopter base for supporting oil rigs off the coast was about a mile away. They were operating Hueys or their later derivatives, started early and operated until late. Much as I love aircraft, after a couple of weeks I was climbing the walls.

Now, I am on a direct line between RAF Odiham and the Qinetiq establishment at Shoeburyness/Foulness and we get Chinooks passing overhead every week or so. I never get fed up with "Wokka-Wokka" ;D

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 07:51:43 AM »

Chris, I never get tired of that sound either. We called it the "sound of freedom". :)
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 12:08:33 AM »

............ if they had gotten airborne, wouldn't there have been issues after they landed with the craft not being registered/inspected/etc?

I imagine they would have taken it south to Thule - a former SAC Base.  Arrangements would have been made in advance.

I watched the first 10 minutes then moved ahead and watched the last 10 minutes.  What a terrible ending to a truly wonderful airplane.
At 42:17 into the video they introduce Matt Jackson as the new mechanic on the second expedition. We represented Matt in some litigation and also used him as an expert witness in several cases.  Matt Jackson flies in the Unlimited class at Reno and is the vice president of the Reno Air Racing Assn.'s unlimited division. He's a good guy and I will have to ask him about the B-29 next time I see him.

gl
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org