Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Research Needed - Mobilubricant  (Read 24289 times)

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
Re: Research Needed - Mobilubricant
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 11:21:56 PM »

I have the word out too several parties concerning the Mobilubricant pail, and what we need concerning it. Jeff may have purchased the correct sized pail, but it never hurts to be sure. The pail Earhart carries does have different labeling from the one purchased is one concern I have. Jeff did purchase a pail matching the description of one in the Luke Field inventory .....labeled Mobilgrease No 2. (5lbs) It seems to me that those who inventoried much of the contents of the crashed Electra did a pretty good job with the details, concerning objects secured after the accident. So......why is the pail Earhart carries in Darwin labeled Mobilubricant? A couple guesses  are,....she used up her 5lb pail of Mobilgrease No 2 along the way and had to procure a replacement, and that is what was available to her... another guess, she left on the second attempt with this different labeled product. Yet another guess is she left her 10 lb can of Mobilegrease NO 2 in Darwin to save weight, and wanted to take along the smaller 5 lb unit to finish the trip,..though seeing the old 5 lb pail was partly used up, so she procured a new full pail with the different labeling. I don't know that, all that matters so much, but think it vital we find a pail labeled Mobilubricant, or information about the pail that will satisfy us regarding it's dimensions. I have contacted some pretty knowledgeable, experienced people, and hope help is on the way.   

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 05:54:03 AM »

My visiting brother suggested we try to contact the two guys who star in the TV show "American Pickers."  One of them is a big collector of oil cans.  Just a thought.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 08:33:25 AM »

My visiting brother suggested we try to contact the two guys who star in the TV show "American Pickers."  One of them is a big collector of oil cans.  Just a thought.

Great minds think alike .....They were first on my list of knowledgeable, experienced collectors, and an email was sent yesterday. Will let you know if I hear from them.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »

https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Documents/Luke_Field_Crash_Report/LukeFieldExhibitA.htm

The mention of a special grease brought along with the Electra, got me to wondering....  it seems Mobil grease NO 2 is a common type, ....so went back into the Luke field inventory list, and there listed as item number 55 is a product called Lubriplate in a 5 lb can https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Documents/Luke_Field.html

Is Mobilubricant an equivalent to Lubriplate?

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 02:08:12 PM »

This eBay page has a  vintage Mobilubricant product on it, not a 5 lb can.  The dates on the front are difficult to read but seem to be between 1910 and 1920.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antique-Mobilubricant-Vacuum-Oil-Co-Grease-Tin-Can-Dispenser-Bottle-Jar-/361594796185?hash=item5430bab899&nma=true&si=1zAQ50Lze6IKLhxCc61WictAyvU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It was produced by The Vacuum Oil Company of Rochester NY,  this page gives a history of that company
http://www.rochestersubway.com/topics/2015/11/inside-the-abandoned-vacuum-oil-refinery-rochester-ny/

with these pertinent details:"In 1879 Vacuum Oil became a division of Standard Oil. In 1934 it became the Socony-Vacuum Oil Company, then changed to the Standard-Vacuum Oil Company, and then again to Socony Mobil Oil Company. By 1981 the corporation was known as the Mobil Oil Company. And today it is part of ExxonMobil."

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 11:32:51 PM »

Interesting story regarding the use of Mobilubricant by the military in the early part of the 20th century. Scroll up one page to read entire story.

https://books.google.com/books?id=3_-kUkNXTNwC&pg=PA474&lpg=PA474&dq=when+was+mobilubricant+developed?&source=bl&ots=Y5PI6nKksD&sig=wk9W8i17n6QoFPYMVCFtJuYJZ_I&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8vqSJv9XTAhVIWSwKHeFLDN8Q6AEIJDAA#v=onepage&q=when%20was%20mobilubricant%20developed%3F&f=false

I wonder if this Mobilubricant is the special propeller hub grease....

I have contacted Mobil oil and it's archive curators in hopes they can help.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:35:51 PM by Jerry Germann »

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 08:03:38 AM »

I guess what is important here is if the can that Jeff bought is identical to the can that AE was carrying in the photo.  Was this a can that was carried by AE from the US or was it obtained in Australia and therefore potentially different from the American can.  There was an Australia Division of the Vacuum Oil Company , not just a marketing office , from
https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/2513
"In 1895 the Vacuum Oil Company became the first oil company established in Australia, less than 30 years after Vacuum first started operations in the United States. Prior to this other brands of oil based products were marketed by overseas companies through their Australian agents."
One point that might be relevant is  "Vacuum Oil Inc, merged with the Standard Oil Company of New York to become Socony Vacuum, then Socony Mobil. It eventually became Mobil Corporation. Socony Mobil introduced the Flying Red Horse (Pegasus) logo. It appeared in Australia in 1939 and became one of Australia's best recognised corporate symbols." The can that AE is carrying in the 1937 photo does not have the flying horse and therefore maybe an Australian product, when was the horse logo put on cans in America?

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 08:17:06 AM »

Socony Mobil introduced the Flying Red Horse (Pegasus) logo. It appeared in Australia in 1939 and became one of Australia's best recognised corporate symbols." The can that AE is carrying in the 1937 photo does not have the flying horse and therefore maybe an Australian product, when was the horse logo put on cans in America?

https://www.exxon.com/en/history

http://blog.retroplanet.com/mobil-gas-pegasus/

It appears early on, around 1911, in a different color theme, ...The Gargoyle symbol was used as well ( note the round can on the ground next to the pile of objects,) has that Gargoyle image.

Boy, Nothing about Amelia is ever easy is it?

Now if she were holding the can shown in the attachment while in Australia it would have made it easier

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 08:53:35 AM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 09:26:26 AM »

See below for the full frame of the photo.  What's going on in this picture?  They're in Darwin, Australia - the last "real place" before the long hop to Howland.  It seems safe to assume that they're either off-loading stuff to leave in Darwin or they're loading stuff aboard that has been acquired in Darwin.  Two parachutes, a bottle of nitrogen for servicing the landing gear struts, a spare tail wheel, a control yoke, a can of tomato juice (on the cabin floor), a "paint can" style can of lubricant on the ground, and the Mobilubricant can AE is holding.  "Last Flight" says she left the parachutes in Darwin but press accounts by journalists who were there say she picked up two parachutes that had been shipped to her in Darwin.  Also, off-loading full cans of lubricant she might need in servicing the aircraft in Lae doesn't make sense, so it looks like this is all stuff she has acquired in Darwin.
Metric?  When did Australia go metric?  I can read "lbs" on the can of lubricant on the ground.

While it could be loading/off loading it could be during or immediately after  customs had gone through the Electra.  So some of this stuff was just removed and examined
From arrival at Darwin chapter in "Last Flight":
"We were pounced upon by a doctor as we rolled to a stop, and thereupon were examined thoroughly for tropical diseases. No one could approach us or the airplane until we had passed muster. If this work is done at all it should be thorough, and I approved the methods, although the formalities delayed refueling operations. The customs officials had to clear the Electra as if she were an ocean-going vessel, but that was done with much dispatch. Inasmuch as we had little in the plane but spare parts, fuel and oil, the process was simplified."

The happenings in that image are indeed interesting, Off-loading/On-loading, a combination of both? I confess I consider myself an amateur sleuth, untrained in detective work, but here are some of my amateur observations nonetheless.
I reason the tailwheel and the extra steering yoke, and nitrogen bottle would be stored far aft in the storage area near the tail, the parachutes would be more fore, near the entry of the storage door, and that is the how they appear to be unloaded...parachutes first, then tailwheel and yoke atop them.
Did the doctor order a complete unloading of the plane to allow fumigation to reach every nook and cranny,?....I did some research on diseases going on in Australia , and it seemed there was a bug going around during the late 1930's that caused a few deaths,but was getting under control by the time Earhart arrived, but in the interest of caution all visitors from afar may have been closely monitored. 
Concerning the parachutes though, that is one question that may never be answered,....but to this admittedly unprofessionally trained in detective work layperson....I ask myself, would Earhart/Noonan stack greasy, heavy plane parts on brand new, potentially lifesaving parachutes?
I can see leaving the extra steering yoke behind, however the tailwheel, is another matter considering the next few landing strips to be encountered.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:34:12 AM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »

http://cdn.thecollector.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Auc-Catalogue-15-September.pdf

Would like to get a look at item number 353 .....gives a manufacturer of the bucket as well.( Australian)

Update;   I just sent off an email to this auction house.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:20:45 AM by Jerry Germann »

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »

We could contact the Exxon Mobil Historical Collection at the University of Texas at this link:

http://www.cah.utexas.edu/feature/exxonmobil/index.php

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 11:06:07 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorauctions/photos/a.117969584914585.7269.114360865275457/1208618942516305/?type=3&theater

Dog gone....it is round.  But it is interesting that the bucket was made by a company named Leskie and Gray out of Melbourne Australia ....will look for archives or if company still in existence.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 02:58:02 PM »

We could contact the Exxon Mobil Historical Collection at the University of Texas at this link:

http://www.cah.utexas.edu/feature/exxonmobil/index.php

Nope;

Re: TARO Contact Form
R
Reference, <cah.reference@austin.utexas.edu>

Reply|
Today, 12:40 PM
You
Dear Mr. Germann,

Thank you for contacting the Briscoe Center for American History. We have an index with pictures of the ExxonMobil artifacts we have so I looked at all the cans of grease and lubricant. I found one can of Mobilubricant but it's round and looks completely different from the one Earhart was holding.

I don't know if it's helpful but the text at the bottom edge of our can says:

Vacuum Oil company
New York, U.S.A.

It may be that that's what's likely written at the bottom of the can in the photo as well.

I'm sorry we couldn't be of more help! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kendall Newton
Reference Intern
The Dolph Briscoe Center for American History
University of Texas at Austin
512-495-4532
cah.reference@austin.utexas.edu

I am striking out thus far , and running out of contacts. I wonder, ...are we dealing with an early Knock off product?  Thus the lack of the Pegasus trademark emblem on Earhart's can?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:00:11 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 05:28:26 PM »

Here is a can with little handle and the gargoyle symbol on it....and Mobilubricant label,

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/richard-edmonds-auctions/catalogue-id-ibri10015/lot-47b6c5de-8c09-4e09-9a76-a43d015d6307

Also found a forum whereby they were discussing a mobilubricant can without the Pegasus or gargoyle symbol, and one fellow thought some cans made before 1931 might not have those upon them. ( But would Amelia use a product that old?,..Only thing available in the outback?)

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=47448

I can't upload the photos .....can anyone here do that?

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:35:41 PM by Jerry Germann »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »

I can't upload the photos .....can anyone here do that?

Yes.

Here is a tutorial on how to upload photos, with tips and tricks and links to another tutorial.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org