Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you add to the list of sextant numbers?  (Read 550115 times)

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
Re: Can you add to the list of sextant numbers?
« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »

Well, actually we're looking for sextants with a pair of numbers.

We only suspect that one is from the manufacturer, and the other from the Naval Observatory.

We don't know for example, that the Hezzanith Observatory didn't assign a number separate from the mfgr serial number, so in Brad's example P-202 could be the observatory number, not the mfgr number.

We suspect that the pair of numbers comes from the USNO, and that is bolstered by the fact that we've not found sextants with pairs of numbers that don't include a USNO number (have we?).

Nit picking, I know, but ….

Andrew

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: November 15, 2013, 05:46:04 AM »

We only suspect that one is from the manufacturer, and the other from the Naval Observatory.

Isn't it stronger than a suspicion?

Isn't it the case that all of the sextants we have found with an extra number have the "NO" mark engraved before the number?

I know that the "NO" mark is not found on most of the boxes, but where we have a box that matches the sextant in it, and where there is a pair of numbers on the box, one of the numbers on the box matches the "NO" number.

I think that is what we have observed.  This does not mean that the Niku box had a "NO" number on it, but it does suggest how two numbers could have come to be placed on that box.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2014, 09:09:09 AM »

New Brandis on eBay

No numbers evident in the photos, but I've asked the seller some questions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251478321644&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Andrew

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »

Seller says:

"hi , i see a 5953 on left hand side of arc, and a 184 imprinted twice , on the lens bracket, Thats all the numbers I can see . Thank you"

So that would be Brandis 5953

And a box with 184, imprinted, but not necessarily a USNO number, and not in the usual place near the hinge.

5953 is beyond the current list of numbers we have, so perhaps this unit was never sold to the Navy, and therefore does not have a USNO number etched into the arc.

I've asked if they could post close up photos of the numbers.

amck

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2014, 11:08:54 AM »

Marty - this is a reminder to get the numbers in the last post into the Wikipedia if you haven't already done so.

New Brandis on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRANDIS-SONS-NY-ANTIQUE-SEXTANT-IN-ORIGINAL-CASE-/221403378803?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

No mention of numbers of any type.  Has a plate on the box that says:

Fiala Outfits, Inc
Complete Equipment for Engineers, Explorers, Campers, Etc
New York City

Fiala Outfits of NY apparently was an expedition outfitter for several projects going to the Poles in the early 1920s.  Somewhere along the line the bought out the Fiala Arms Co.  Seems to still have been in business in the 1940's.

http://www.newyorker.com/search/query?keyword=Fiala%200044%20%20Anthony

More of Fiala - a bit of a character larger than life
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Fiala
http://brooklynology.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/post/2011/06/13/One-Bad-Dude.aspx

I'll ask the seller if there are any numbers to be noted.

Andrew
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:22:55 AM by Andrew M McKenna »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2014, 11:12:15 AM »

Marty - this is a reminder to get the numbers in the last post into the Wikipedia if you haven't already done so.

I was waiting for further clarification on the second number.

I guess we won't find out whether it is an N.O. number ...

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2014, 11:23:44 AM »

Not sure we're going to get any more info.  The seller indicated they would send me more photos, but I haven't seen them.  I'm not sure the sextant actually sold.

amck

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: March 29, 2014, 06:13:43 AM »

Numbers added to sextant table.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: March 31, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »

More info on the Fiala Brandis

Seller says:

"HI,
THE ONLY NUMBER I FOUND WAS ON THE ARC OF THE SEXTANT.5687.
THANKS, "

see image attached, I hope.

Brandis 5687 is now the third highest Brandis number we have, and two of the last three numbers do not seem to have a USNO calibration numbers.  I'm thinking that these may have been produced at the end of the Navy purchasing run, and perhaps never made it into the Navy inventory.

Given that Anthony Fiala was a polar explorer and expedition outfitter, it would make sense that he'd be purchasing sextants for use in that line of work. 

Andrew
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:46:25 PM by Andrew M McKenna »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #234 on: March 31, 2014, 05:33:43 PM »

More info on the Fiala Brandis

OK.  Table updated.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: April 27, 2014, 12:10:08 PM »

Another Brandis on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MARITIME-SEXTANT-BRANDIS-SONS-NEW-YORK-/231214691689?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I asked the seller about numbers and got this response:

"I did find the number 3243 written in pencil above the left hinge.............I found none on the piece itself.........."

Hard to know if 3243 is the Brandis number or a USNO number, could be either.  I don't know that we've seen a number written in pencil over the left hinge before.  Usually the numbers are stenciled near the right hinge.  You can just see the pencilled number in the photo closeup on eBay.

I suggested that they re-examine the end of the arc for the serial number and included a link to a photo of what that should look like.  No reply yet.

Andrew
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:29:17 PM by Andrew M McKenna »

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #236 on: April 27, 2014, 12:33:48 PM »

looks like the number 3243 is the Brandis number as seen in the photo attached - it just isn't printed on the arc in the usual spot, but rather on the frame under the Brandis name.

Seems this us Brandis # 3243 with matching box, but without a USNO number.

Not sure what that means.  When did Brandis change from putting maker's number on the frame to the arc, or vice versa?

Andrew

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:35:58 PM by Andrew M McKenna »

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #237 on: April 27, 2014, 02:38:17 PM »

When did Brandis change from putting maker's number on the frame to the arc, or vice versa?

My Brandis sextant has a maker's number of 4313 (later than this one you've written about) and that maker's number only appears on the extreme left of the arc. On the frame is only the Brandis & Sons, Brooklyn, N.Y. info, with no number.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: April 27, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »

updated posting

Mine is #4297, and like yours, has the number on the arc.

I don't remember seeing a Brandis with the number anywhere else, but I'm also not sure we were thinking about it much in the early days of collecting this data.  We have 8 Brandis Sextants on the list with numbers lower than 3243:  1146, 1844, 1982, 2734, 2763, 3193, 3227, and 3239.  5 of those have USNO numbers.  Interestingly enough, 4 of those have 3 digit vs 4 digit USNO numbers, so perhaps some early Brandis numbers also got early USNO numbers, but not all as we see in the pattern.

Not sure we have imagery of any of them and no notations on where the numbers were located.  One is listed as being with the Mariner's Museum, but I can't find it in a quick search of their collection.

My guess is that this one pre-dates the USN purchases during WWI, and never made it into the USNO inventory.

amck
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:23:59 PM by Andrew M McKenna »

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: May 30, 2014, 02:40:26 PM »

Two Brandis Sextants showed up on eBay

This one has USNO # 4812. In one of the photos, I think I see the Brandis number 3298.  I've asked about the serial number to verify.  Doesn't appear to be a box with this unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131202642055&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Next one is a unit in a box, no numbers are noted.  The box has a calibration sticker, but it is unclear whether this is a USNO sticker or not, the Maker is listed as Brandis, but the number simply says HIGH GRADE and is dated 11/15/38.

Photos supplied are of low resolution, so it is impossible to see any detail where the serial number ought to be.  I've asked the seller to look for numbers and perhaps upgrade his photos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231245054066&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Andrew
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org