Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Did AE smoke circa 1937?  (Read 21660 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Did AE smoke circa 1937?
« on: November 13, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »

Did she or didn't she?

Fred did! How did that work with a cabin full of Av Gas?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Did AE smoke circa 1937?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 04:50:31 PM »

Amelia didn't smoke.  As you say, Fred did.  If he smoked in the airplane he apparently did it in such a way as to not blow them out of the sky.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »

Amelia didn't smoke.  As you say, Fred did.  If he smoked in the airplane he apparently did it in such a way as to not blow them out of the sky.

So that's how they disappeared!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »

POOF!  Gone without a trace.

Brad Mackey

• T1
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:00:51 AM »

Are there any claims out there of underwater cigarette sightings?  Carbon covered glass or sheet metal?  Underwater lipstick on a cigarette butt?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:12:26 AM »

Are there any claims out there of underwater cigarette sightings?  Carbon covered glass or sheet metal?  Underwater lipstick on a cigarette butt?

Not yet, but if we could identify a specific brand it could add a whole new dimension to the concept of "product placement."  We already have reports of a Ballantine Ale can.  Why not Camels?  Hey, unfiltered Camels and camels-in-the-clouds - perfect tie-in. 

Gary L Kerr

• T1
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 09:19:18 AM »

Fred had to conduct research (catch a bug) so he puts the "Lucky Strike" into the end of
a tube that is attached to the bug net and sticks it outside. While catching "bugs" Fred can
inhale through the tube. Of course this research involved a wind shield for his smoke... ;)
Gary
TIGHAR #4305R

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 12:17:47 PM »

I think you're really on to something here.  Of course he didn't smoke on the flight.  And he was shaking so bad from his nicotine 'rigger', he couldn't hold the Sextant steady enough to get a fix.  Speaking of "a fix", that's exactly what he needed.
TIGHAR Member #4154

Brad Mackey

• T1
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 10:49:14 PM »

I come to this thread for comedy relief.   :D

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 08:15:11 AM »

I was reading this topic this morning, and have to agree with Ric about Amelia not smoking. Mainly, I believe its because of her issues with sinus problems over the years. But, then again here is a woman who had an image across the U.S. for quite sometime. So I don't think she was the kinda of gal that would do that anyway. But, this does bring up a point Ric on something. I'm not the expert when it comes to finding things on digs or whatever. But, in reality...do cigarette butts decompose say after 50-70 years! If not...then we may have something here to go on. What I'm driving at here, is if no cigarette butts or remnants of pipe tobacco were found at the seventh site...it rules out the fact that we didnt have a party with all those campfires. Cause if it was the crew from the Norwich City, I'm sure that someone smoked, or rolled there own cigarettes, or smoked a pipe. Now, if we jump ahead when the military occupied part of the island...Again the same scenario...So I believe we have definately something to stand on with the seventh site...and its something to look at from a standpoint.  Anyway, hope you all had a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving!!!!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 04:21:07 PM »

I think it's safe to say that cigarette butts and pipe tobacco would not survive for 76 years, but you're correct in saying that sometimes what is NOT there can be helpful in assessing a site. 

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »

Cigarette butts would not be existent as cigarettes during that period were pretty much the nonfiltered versions.  The rolling papers and tobacco would disappear quite quickly.  Filtering cigarettes during that era were pretty much the reusable ones you see divas using in the old B&W movies that you stuck the cigarette in.  Those would not be discarded.  Below is via Wikipedia:

In 1925, inventor Boris Aivaz patented the process of making a cigarette filter from crepe paper, with some variants including cellulose wadding, during experiments at the Ortmann plant of Bunzl. Aivaz produced the first cigarette filter from 1927 in co-operation with Bunzl's Filtronic subsidiary, but uptake was low due to a lack of the machinery required to produce cigarettes with the filtered tip.[2]

From 1935, a British company began to develop a machine that made cigarettes incorporating the tipped filter. It was considered a speciality item until 1954, when manufacturers introduced the machine more broadly, following a spate of speculative announcements from doctors and researchers concerning a possible link between lung diseases and smoking. Since filtered cigarettes were considered "safer", by the 1960s, they dominated the market.

LTM,
Don

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 07:28:15 PM »

Newspaper article in the, New York World Telegram..... dated Dec 2nd, 1933;
Author; Douglas Gilbert
Location; Hotel Seymour

Earhart Quote;
" But I don't diet",( she said), "I only eat simple food and drink No tea, coffee, or liquor".
" And I don't smoke".

Another magazine interview quotes Earhart as saying; " On occasion, I enjoy eating raw fish". ...Interesting.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 11:58:21 AM by Jerry Germann »

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 10:32:26 AM »

Fred had to conduct research (catch a bug) so he puts the "Lucky Strike" into the end of
a tube that is attached to the bug net and sticks it outside. While catching "bugs" Fred can
inhale through the tube. Of course this research involved a wind shield for his smoke... ;)

Lends new meaning to the term "riding SHOTGUN"...
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Daniel Paul Cotts

• T2
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 12:35:36 AM »

Amelia is featured in Lucky Strike ads from 1928 and 1929. Google has several hits.
According to Lori Van Pelt in "Amelia Earhart: The Sky's No Limit" Amelia did not smoke. She was paid for the endorsement.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org