Ratu Sir Kamisese Mara
- One of the founding fathers of Fiji as it gained independence from Britain and the first President of Fiji (1993-2000).
- Most commonly called "Ratu Mara" in TIGHAR articles.
- Student under Hoodless at Fiji School of Medicine around the time of the discovery of the bones on Niku.
- Jean Brown, the wife of Captain Stan Brown, served as Ratu Mara's secretary.
- Ratu Mara allowed the TIGHAR members to search for the bones found on Nikumaroro at Government House during the 1999 expedition.
- Wikipedia article.
"1945 Ratu Sukuna recognized in Ratu Kamisese Mara Uluilakeba (whom Dr. Lindsay Verrier had taken out from the Suva Medical School with its limited training, for a full medical education in New Zealand) the leadership capacity that Fiji would need when he was dead, and sent him to read Economics at Wadham."