Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Should the mods apply a "Dead Horse" rule to threads?  (Read 17923 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Should the mods apply a "Dead Horse" rule to threads?
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:14:46 AM »

Perhaps we need a Too Dumb To Live rule for threads that drag on and on when the basic premise of the thread has been shown to be invalid.
In this case we have a thread that asked the question, "Did Earhart Leave Her Life Raft Behind?"
I think the answer has been clearly established.  The answer is, "Maybe. Maybe not."  Putnam said she had a life raft but there's no way he could know whether she carried it on the Lae/Howland flight.  There is no life raft on the Luke Field inventory so we can be quite sure that, at least for that attempt to fly to Howland, a life raft was not considered necessary.  So - the question "Did Earhart Leave Her Life Raft Behind?" is one of the many imponderables of the Earhart mysteries.  Ditto for "Did Earhart Leave Her Parachutes Behind?"

Nothing resembling a life raft or parachute was apparently seen by the Colorado aerial search and we've found nothing on the island that can be identified as either life raft or parachute hardware.  That may be because the airplane was never there.  Or, it may mean that the airplane was there but no life raft or parachutes were aboard.  Or, it may mean that a life raft and/or parachutes were aboard but went down with the plane, or any of a dozen other possible explanations for why they were not seen and haven't been found.  Arguing that any conclusion can be drawn from the fact that no life raft or parachutes were seen or found is so transparently invalid that I'm surprised anyone on this forum - even those who are dedicated to challenging TIGHAR's hypothesis - would advance such an idea.  How much time do we need to waste debating challenges that are based on invalid assertions? 
I'm not stating a new policy. I'm asking a question.  Would the subscribers to this forum appreciate more "thread discipline" from the moderators,  not to stifle discussion or criticism but rather to direct discussion and criticism to topics that may actually be productive?

Monte Chalmers

• T2
Re: Should the mods apply a "Dead Horse" rule to threads?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:48:39 AM »

quote author=Ric Gillespie link=topic=967.msg20211#msg20211 date=1348848886]
I'm not stating a new policy. I'm asking a question.  Would the subscribers to this forum appreciate more "thread discipline" from the moderators,  not to stifle discussion or criticism but rather to direct discussion and criticism to topics that may actually be productive?
Yes.
OK - everybody's gone to lunch - so I'm modifying my "yes" .. I think we needs to have mods gather  a  consensus of their opinons on some of the very long threads and then  if they so decide, terminate such threads with a statement that they have  run their course etc etc  and  put on the lock.
Monte TIGHAR #3597

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:19:16 AM by Monte Chalmers »

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »

Yes.

PS - maybe mods could do a consensus of their opinons and then  complete the thread with a statement that it had run it's course and - put on the lock.

Monte, yes it has, and yes it should I believe, but I will not make that call unless the quorum agrees.

And I add, as a subscriber, I say yes to Ric's question.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:22:55 AM by Bob Lanz »

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »

Yes and No!!!!

What if a thread was closed off stopping a potential Eureka moment when someone finds a new nuggett of gold while taking part in one of these threads?

Monte Chalmers

• T2
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »

Yes and No!!!!
What if a thread was closed off stopping a potential Eureka moment when someone finds a new nuggett of gold while taking part in one of these threads?
Could always start a new one. :)
Monte TIGHAR #3597

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »

Yes and No!!!!

Chris, when and if you or anyone else find that "Gold Nugget", feel free to start a new thread about it. 
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 11:27:21 AM »

Yes and No!!!!
Could always start a new one. :)

What i mean is that someone partaking in such a thread that could be closed.  They may not get the opportunity to have that moment.

An alternative could be a new area called 'going round in circles' where these threads could be deposited and those who wish to play in them can whilst others can concentrate on more pressing matters.

Bob! Man up, you know you can  ;)

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »

Yes and No!!!!

Chris, when and if you or anyone else find that "Gold Nugget", feel free to start a new thread about it.

See next post  ;D

Bill Roe

• T3
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 12:18:19 PM »

Would the subscribers to this forum appreciate more "thread discipline" from the moderators,  not to stifle discussion or criticism but rather to direct discussion and criticism to topics that may actually be productive?

You know, if I owned this forum and were in the business of attracting new members and donations, I think I'd have the tendency to let a thread run its course including the occasional drift.  For a very few here, this is a business.  For most, it's entertainment.  Entertainment as such that this is a place for involvement.  By terminating a thread because of the appearance of completion when there is still involvement, stifles the purpose of the forum.

Threads have a tendency to die naturally anyway - take a look at all the pages of dead threads.

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »

Good call Bill.  People don't have to a. read threads or b. contribute if they don't want to.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 01:34:53 PM »

There is something to be said for allowing people to flog a dead horse.  It doesn't hurt the horse and it provides them with an opportunity to demonstrate their intelligence.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »

"But I don't want to get on the cart ..."

"Oh, don't be such a baby!"

LTM, who gave up cart rides awhile ago,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 03:43:40 PM »

This horse was kicked out of one thread into another and then flogged to death
Can it be locked away with a notice that it can be re opened if there is any new evidence?
3971R

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »

Lock it  :)

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »

This horse was kicked out of one thread into another and then flogged to death
Can it be locked away with a notice that it can be re opened if there is any new evidence?

Yes Greg, I was the one who kicked the horse out of the barn on the other thread.  Of course if locked, it can be re-opened if the "Nugget" found relates to what was left behind.  Otherwise a new topic would be appropriate.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org