Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Status of Niku 7 video analysis  (Read 141080 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Current Status of Niku 7 video analysis
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2012, 09:56:06 AM »

If you feel there's an 80% chance that debris you've located is related to the Bevington object, and if you feel there's an 80% chance that the Bevington object is related to an Electra, why isn't this enough to "commit major assets?"

Welcome to the forum Mr. or Ms. Wallace (we need your full name).  I think you misread the research bulletin.  It was Jeff Glickman, not me, who expressed those percentages of confidence and he specifically cautioned that: "These are subjective and are based upon my knowledge and experience as opposed to being objective, calculated probabilities."

I appreciate your caution, but if I had the means, I'd be chartering a boat and buying sunscreen right about now...  This is all very exciting stuff; keep up the great work!

What size boat would you charter?  A boat that would support divers (roughly $10,000/day) or a boat that would support ROV operations (roughly $30,000/day)?  The sunscreen is easy.  Get the highest SPF you can find.

THWWallace

• T1
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »

The sunscreen is easy.  Get the highest SPF you can find.
[/quote]

Given the cost of sunscreen and my bald head, I'd run out of money LONG before I had a chance to charter a ship! 
-Travis

~Travis

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2012, 12:53:33 PM »

hey guys, if i can weigh in here for a second. Ive wanted to believe the Electra was at Niku. I still do. After talking with alot of you in DC, I came to the conclusion that is a marathon, not a sprint race.
There was a statement made in "the Hunt for Red October " during the navy's search for her that they were going by so fast that there wasnt anyway their sonar could find her. After thinking about this for a while now, we have a similiar issue. We are looking for parts and pieces, not a submarine, or a 'intact 'ship. With the amount of HD data that was acquired, it may be a while before all of it can be broken down, frame by frame to look it over.
The ROV may have been in the right area, and missed it by 10 feet. Perhaps I was wrong, and alot of large pieces DID slide down the reef slope to where ever the bottom is. I Posted a pic several months ago of the Napali coast line on Kauai. From sea level pretty much vertical to 4000 feet. Lots of crevasses and jagged outcroppings. I suspect something similar below the surface to the bottom, wherever that is. I'm told that alot of the Pacific Islands and atolls are like that. IF that is the case, it is in fact a large haystack that we're searching.

I do have a suggestion, albeit alittle crazy. How about multiple researchers looking at the HD video. Yep crazy thought, but more eyes on target, and if something is found that looks promising, then more assets can investigate further. We have alot of capable members that given the opprotunity would like to help. Jeff Glickman is a great guy, but I dont see how he can possibly see everything. I'd think after a while those coral boulders would look like buffalo.

Think about it.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »

At Tim Mellon's suggestion, we've rendered the two-minute debris field clip as black & white video.  I think it's a big improvement.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »

Thanks for uploading the Debris Field in Black and White video. I think it is an improvement too.

You may want to note in the description that it can be viewed in 1080p instead of 360p which may be the default setting. The little gear icon is where the quality can be changed.
3971R

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 06:54:41 PM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2012, 11:26:48 AM »

You may want to note in the description that it can be viewed in 1080p instead of 360p which may be the default setting. The little gear icon is where the quality can be changed.

Done.  Thanks.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »

Hi All

look were red arrows point to, There is 3 raised boxes with a wire connected to all just look behind boxes to see shadows 
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »

Bare in mind, These boxes, i speculate are no bigger than a car fuse box relay 20mm x 20mm
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2012, 06:15:23 PM »

Thanks for uploading the black and white video. I think it is an improvement too.

Here is a link to the black-and-white video.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2012, 01:38:48 PM »

Here are two more "objects" from the black and white video for everyone to look at. Could the object within the yellow rectangle in picture 1 below, be the part of the lower instrument panel, outlined in yellow, under the yoke in picture 2 below? Could the object within the red rectangle in picture 1 be the turn and bank/slip indicator shown outlined in red in picture 3 below?
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »

Ok---What does this look like in the white box?
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »

Well, IMHO, it is not a fender from the landing gear, wrong shape. It might be a section of the leading edge of one of the wings or maybe a small part of the underside of the extreme rear fuselage. Just my thoughts. :-\
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Dave McDaniel

• T2
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2012, 04:49:33 PM »

Or possibly the glare-shield for the instrument panel, given the proximity to the other items in question. The scale of it would seem reasonable with the marine growth and sediment...Dave

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »

Another good possibility. :) Great points about proximity and scale!
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:07:36 PM by C.W. Herndon »

Vahe Demirjian

• T1
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2012, 02:17:18 PM »

One way to make the process of the underwater portion of Niku VIII easy is to use an AUV to examine the objects in the debris field seen during the Niku VII (that is, the debris field spotted by Jeff Glickman). If the objects come from the Electra, they should be recovered using the AUV's manipulator arm.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org