Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Status of Niku 7 video analysis  (Read 141112 times)

Alan Harris

• T3
Re: Current Status of Niku 7 video analysis
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 02:04:36 PM »

I am grateful to Jeff Nevill, because his last 3 posts have expressed my own thoughts almost perfectly.  Thus, instead of me having to write a long post, and the forum having to read it, I can just say, "Right on, Jeff!".        :)

Also I am always grateful to see photos of our 26th President, no matter what the occasion.  Bully!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 07:14:17 AM »

Logicaly if there is a reverse current then the debries field would also show movement Northward?

As Tim said, the northward current only occurs at depth.  We first noticed it at around 800 feet.  Therefore the northward current is only going to act on objects that have sunk to that depth and are still suspended in the water column or are so light that they can be moved along the bottom by the current.
Although we're not releasing specific depth information about the debris field behind Nessie, I will say that it is shallower than 800 feet.  So, for the debris field behind Nessie to be something from Norwich City it had to either travel northward on the surface for a quarter mile against the current or sink to at least 800 feet before being carried northward by the deep current and then somehow ascend to rest at a shallower depth. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:19:26 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 07:56:22 AM »

Question for Ric:

Is it possible to translate the entire 2 minute debris field HD video into the black-and-white format, without loosing any definition? One can see quite a bit more when motion is introduced, because of the three-dimensional flavor.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 08:03:24 AM »

Is it possible to translate the entire 2 minute debris field HD video into the black-and-white format, without loosing any definition? One can see quite a bit more when motion is introduced, because of the three-dimensional flavor.

Good idea.  Thanks.  I'll ask Mark (TIGHAR cameraman and video guru Mark Smith) and also check with Jeff Glickman.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 08:14:02 AM »

Ric, I noticed that there were a few more photo's of the wreck of the SS Norwich City in Eric Bevingtons album from your video 'A new copy of the Bevington photo'. Did any of these show any anomalies in the background as well, or is it just the one photograph that has the 'Nessie' anomaly?
This must be the place

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 08:21:57 AM »

Ric, I noticed that there were a few more photo's of the wreck of the SS Norwich City in Eric Bevingtons album from your video 'A new copy of the Bevington photo'. Did any of these show any anomalies in the background as well, or is it just the one photograph that has the 'Nessie' anomaly?

Unfortunately all of Bevington's other photos of the shipwreck were taken from directly astern and don't show the reef far enough north to include Nessie.  Bevington took dozens of photos during his visit.  Jeff Glickman has examined them all for anything that might be of use. 

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 09:01:14 AM »

Can the ROV have high definition on the live feed on the next expedition?  Also black and white, in stills taken periodically
3971R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 09:59:17 AM »

Can the ROV have high definition on the live feed on the next expedition?  Also black and white, in stills taken periodically

That technology is certainly available.  We haven't yet decided what technology we want to deploy.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 10:23:06 AM »

possible bare aluminum caught by light of rover 
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:24:48 AM by richie conroy »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 01:00:41 PM »

Hey everyone. After sitting back an thinking for a while about all of this, it seems that some very interesting things have popped into my head. The first is the ROV tracks graph is very interesting. Not necessarily the actual tracks, but the slope of the underwater terrain. Looks to me like an underwater Napali Coastline from Kauai, Hawaii, except ALOT higher! Also, the Lat/Long indicators can give us a good sense of location, but not depth (how do you do that?). Ric stated that the depth was classified, but shallower that 800 feet. So---I take it that if there is any Electra debris, is between ledges on the slope. Seems they went to 2800+- feet (?) and worked their way back towards the surface. So between 150 and 800, OR below 2800. We see some things in the HD footage the 'resemble' aircraft parts, so perhaps actually seeing these items in person would not be out of the question. Ric---if you're listening---Get Pat to get you a submirsible!
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »

I know someone whose got a Diving Bell  ;D

Ken Nielsen

• T1
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »

Ric---if you're listening---Get Pat to get you a submirsible!
Tom

I may be asking a very stupid question here, but has TIGHAR ever asked James Cameron for assistance with transportation and equipment? Seems in many ways to be the most obvious person in the world to team up with.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »

I may be asking a very stupid question here, but has TIGHAR ever asked James Cameron for assistance with transportation and equipment? Seems in many ways to be the most obvious person in the world to team up with.

No, we haven't asked. Anybody have his email address?

tom howard

• T2
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 09:31:51 AM »

Hello, i seem to remember in a book I read, the navy lending dr.ballard a tiny sub if he would take extended time first searching for a missing navy submarine. A trade off of sorts. Sounds like a rumor,as I cannot imagine the navy lending their equipment but it might be worth inquiring about.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 11:08:40 AM »

Tom H

you are correct

In the summer of 1985, Ballard was aboard the French research ship Le SuroƮt, which was using the side scan sonar SAR to search for Titanic's wreck. When the French ship was recalled, Ballard transferred onto a ship from Woods Hole, the R/V Knorr. Unbeknownst to some, this trip was financed by the U.S. Navy for secret reconnaissance of the wreckage of two Navy nuclear powered attack submarines, the USS Scorpion and the USS Thresher, which sank in the 1960s, and not for Titanic. Back in 1982, Ballard approached the Navy about his new deep sea underwater robot craft, the Argo, and his search for Titanic.[4] The Navy was not interested in financing the search for the large ocean liner. However, they were interested in finding out what happened to their missing submarines and ultimately concluded that Argo was their best chance to do so.[4] The Navy agreed it would finance Ballard's Titanic search only if he first searched for and investigated the two sunken submarines,

From Mr Ballards Wikipedia entry (the font of all knowledge and truth but this one i've seen mentioned elsewhere)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org