Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Status of Niku 7 video analysis  (Read 141174 times)

don hirth

• T1
Current Status of Niku 7 video analysis
« on: September 28, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »

Hello, again, fellow 'forumers', It's been a while since my last post, however I visit the site daily.
I pose a question which may still be unanswerable, namely the approximate percentage of
video that has been thoroughly 'worked' and therefore relegated to the 'complete' bin. I wonder
if this is in the vicinity of 10%, 20% 30% or whatever. I've no doubt that to analyze properly,
sufficient time are the operative words but it would be great to publicize this figure and also to
mention the specific areas/depths currently 'complete' and their counterparts in the incomplete
area. BTW, the organization and the forum are still important. Perhaps some of the nit-picking
and bruised egos can be eliminated.
dlh

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Current Status of Niku 7 video analysis
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 12:51:36 PM »

Don, I do feel that a lot of work is going on behind the scenes regarding the footage. Bearing in mind that whatever the debris field was, it has been there a number of years and, as you have probably noticed, it has seen better days. That said, there's a lot to be positive about regarding the last expedition. The location of the debris is now known, the quality and quantity of the footage is excellent and, it is where something was theorised to be. The only negatives? Time is against whatever the debris was and $$$. We can fix the $$$ (eventually), but time?
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 12:01:46 PM »

Don, I also have taken some "time off" from posting, and like you, I do still visit from time to time. I would say that there IS alot going on behind the scenes that we arent privey to. And thats ok. I'm sure Ric will have something to tell us soon.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 06:06:07 PM »

New research bulletin - Update Debris Field Analysis -  is now up on the TIGHAR website.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »

Great news Ric.

Keep the good stuff coming!!
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 02:35:49 AM »

Couple off shots of the NC that i've not seen before.  Fantastic, thanks Ric. Will have to read and re read a few times for it to sink in, waiting for the 'informed' debate  ;)

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 08:21:57 AM »

Jeff N,

My simplified take on the NC debris is that it is 'down stream' of the new debris field.  I believe this means that the majority of wreckage will be moving down towards the LORAN station end of the island.  Lighter material would therefore have a greater chance of moving in that direction.  Also I remember Ric gave an approximate distance between the two fields in a post reply to a statement by GLP to do with the fields being close by and possibly merged.

I'm sure Ric will be more than happy to give the official (less waffle, more fact) version    ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:23:36 AM by Chris Johnson »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 08:29:14 AM »

I'm sure Ric will be more than happy to give the official (less waffle, more fact) version    ;D

Yes, more than happy, but at the moment I'm preparing for the annular TIGHAR board of directors meeting this weekend at which we'll be addressing the question on everyone's mind - What is next for the Earhart Project?  Stay tuned.

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 08:47:28 AM »

Jeff,

just to clarify when i said
I didn't realize 'toward the Loran Station' was a part of that 'equation'
is was meaning in the general direction, i doubt that for one moment debris from the NC goes that far.

I'd probably agree that 100% is a bit of a bold statement as a good storm could chuck debris in any direction.  However there does appear to be little wreckage from the NC north of its position so it could be a close call to 100%

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »

Yes, I do understand that the prevailing currents, sea action and storms all suggest a predominately southwesterly flow;   

The interesting thing about the currents is that, while on the surface they predominately flow from Northwest to Southeast (their strength being a function of the tidal phase, wind direction and strength), at depth they appeared to flow in the opposite direction (to the North). Therefore, I am sympathetic to Mr. Nevill's idea that the possibility exists that lighter materials from the shipwreck could, in fact, have been transported from the shipwreck to the North. However if this were the case, I find it much less likely that such materials would all have ended up in close proximity to one another in a "debris field".
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:19:42 AM by Tim Mellon »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 11:56:10 AM »

Great images in the update. Most spectacular? The AUV rescue snail trail image. Just take a look at the angle of the side of the seamount, the spurs and grooves. Not a very hospitable environment at all, even worse than I imagined. Full marks for getting all the kit back in one piece. Great image of the Norwich City wreckage on the reef face as well, it looks heavy, robust and, still holding together unlike the debris field below the Nessie object area.
Great work.

This must be the place

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 12:07:04 PM »

The interesting thing about the currents is that, while on the surface they predominately flow from Northwest to Southeast (their strength being a function of the tidal phase, wind direction and strength), at depth they appeared to flow in the opposite direction (to the North).

Tim, please help me to see this conclusion about the flow "at depth."  I'm not seeing how they appear to flow "in the opposite direction."
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »

Bruce, it's just that I was there, watching the ROV camera in real time as it moved along the slope; particles of dead plankton were falling like snow, and the direction they fell slanted to the North, as snow flakes would be blown by the wind. For Wolfgang, the "pilot" of the ROV, it meant dealing with either a "headwind" or "tailwind", depending upon whether he was travelling South or North.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 01:21:44 PM »

I noticed that in the first video footage from 2010 Tim. It looked as though it was snowing a lot of the time, dead plankton, calcium carbonate particles etc.. Worse when the ROV thrusters kicked up a storm of the stuff. 70+ years of this stuff raining down on the debris?
This must be the place

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »

Logicaly if there is a reverse current then the debries field would also show movement Northward?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org