Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WPHC & Pacific Island Files Distribution  (Read 9281 times)

Don Dollinger

• T3
WPHC & Pacific Island Files Distribution
« on: September 19, 2012, 03:08:35 PM »

FWIW I found this interesting document Pambu (Pacific Manuscripts Newsletter) that discusses where the files from WPHC and other Pacific Island organizations were distributed to and redistributed to and redistributed to ad naseum and also has links to some of the douments.  There is also a link to a photo collection of over 7000 photos that are viewable.  Pambu  Lengthy but some interesting stuff.

LTM,

Don

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: WPHC & Pacific Island Files Distribution
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 07:47:15 PM »

FWIW I found this interesting document Pambu (Pacific Manuscripts Newsletter) that discusses where the files from WPHC and other Pacific Island organizations were distributed to and redistributed to ... Pambu 

The author of the article is the chief archivist.  I saw him every day when I was reading the WPHC files in Auckland.

I also interviewed Bruce T. Beirne by phone, who is quoted in the article.

My notes on the Archives:

"Western Pacific High Commission."

"WPHC Archives."

"WPHC Numbering System."

I don't think anyone has gone to Auckland on behalf of TIGHAR since 2003.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 08:33:39 AM »

From Pambu:
Three container loads of Western Pacific history were returned to the region on 9 October when
the British Government formally transferred its unique and extensive Western Pacific Archive to
the University of Auckland.  The Western Pacific Archive captures a
century's worth of the life and times of the Western Pacific Islanders through unique
records, photographs, maps and other memorabilia covering the period 1877-1978.

This is what originally piqued my curiousity.  Obviously you've been there and did not see a bone box...

LTM,

Don

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:38:13 PM »

Obviously you've been there and did not see a bone box...

Ric and another TIGHAR visited the Archives when they were in England.

No bone box then.

I visited them after they moved to Auckland.

No bone box.

There is a sextant box in the Fiji Archive, but it is hexagonal and has
a sextant in it--not the one we're looking for.   :(

There are random bones at the Fiji School of Medicine, but none of them match the doctor's measurements or the tooth count.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org