Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scotts Ship Terra Nova found off Greenland  (Read 18637 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Scotts Ship Terra Nova found off Greenland
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »

Not Earhart or a plane but of interest to some I trust

Wreck of Terra Nova

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
Re: Scotts Ship Terra Nova found off Greenland
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 02:37:17 PM »

Yes, thanks!
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »

Very interesting. Thanks Chris. :)
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Dave McDaniel

• T2
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:08:49 PM »

I always thought, since high school anyway, that that would be the way that Amelia, FLT 19, Atlantis and some of my friends would be found. At random, by someone looking for something totally unrelated.

That's the way most of us think. We file it in the back of our minds and move on.

This is what is so special about Ric, TIGHAR, Wiatt, Nautico and all the rest of the searchers and researchers and makes them the 1% of the 1%. The passion, the drive, and the disipline required to pursue an answer that may not be possible to know. That's why I hang out here. And I believe I'm in good company.

What I think is remarkable, is that the ship was found on the 100th anniversary. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could find the Electra on the 75th! Mostly, for me because I don't think I'll be around for the 100th!

So for my convenience, could we please just drain the Pacific and get to the bottom of this once and for all!!!

LTM,
Dave
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:31:09 PM by Dave McDaniel »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 08:55:47 PM »

Dave---you ARE in good company----I met some of them in Washington at the Earhart Symposium. Fine group of people coming together from a great cause.
You'll fit right in.
Flight 19 probably will be found. Atlantis----thats a stretch. Maybe Malcolm can jump in here on that one. Where is Edgar Cayce when we need him?
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Dave McDaniel

• T2
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:00:18 PM »

Thanks Tom, it would have been great to have been there and alot of fun I'm sure!

LTM,
Dave

Monte Chalmers

• T2
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 11:22:01 AM »

Interesting, Chris.
An unexpected find is so true of many discoveries.  This item was big back in my school days too. 
Mostly, for me because I don't think I'll be around for the 100th!
I know I won't !  :D
Some have said that Atlantis has been solved - was on the History Channel.
Monte TIGHAR #3597

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 08:43:50 AM »

Not Earhart or a plane but of interest to some I trust

Wreck of Terra Nova

I saw that on another site. The other ships that would be interesting to locate are the Erebus and Terror, Sir John Franklin's ships which carried his doomed North West Passage expedition. The accounts of the Eskimos about their fate are very eerie. Franklin was at one stage governor of our island state of Tasmania and there is a statue of him in Hobart, which in winter is a very cold windy place. There is poor old Sir John, who died in the Arctic, forever immortalized in bronze in a freezing southerly gale - I've often thought they could have found a warmer spot for him.  :)     

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 05:21:44 AM »

Malcolm,

Franklin's expedition is a great one i'm sure i saw recently that one of those ships had been found but could be wrong.  Wern't they ice bound so could have drifted anywhere.

Yes I think one might have been - sonar or something like the way Scott's ship was found. The Franklin expedition's fate is quite horrible.   

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 06:43:08 PM »

Malcolm,

I accept that you sit (uncomfortably) on the fence ref AE but possibly in both these mysteries canned goods had a part to play? Lead seems and botulism.

Franklins crew came to a grisly end and by all accounts if they had addopted some of the native practices rather than holding onto their own may have just survived.

Plenty of Archaeology still to be found in terms of camps etc.

Certainly the canned food was a contributing factor. Have you ever read the book Ice Blink which discusses the expedition and the food etc.? The canning process was primitive and the food was not properly cooked or sealed while the lead seals didn't help. Another factor I think was Franklin's decision making capacity, I suspect that he was not well himself and this may have coloured it.

Will Hatchell

• inactive
  • "Down to the nitty-gritty"
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »

Malcolm,

I accept that you sit (uncomfortably) on the fence ref AE but possibly in both these mysteries canned goods had a part to play? Lead seems and botulism.

Franklins crew came to a grisly end and by all accounts if they had addopted some of the native practices rather than holding onto their own may have just survived.

Plenty of Archaeology still to be found in terms of camps etc.

Great point, re tainted canned goods, Chris! I'm a newbie here, so please indulge me and allow me to display my ignorance by asking a question, even if the answer is established fact among the group: were canned goods documented in the NC survivor cache and/or on the wreck itself at any point prior to AE and FN's arrival on Gardner?   ???

Hatch
Hatch

TIGHAR #3975S

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 07:58:20 PM »

Great point, re tainted canned goods, Chris! I'm a newbie here, so please indulge me and allow me to display my ignorance by asking a question, even if the answer is established fact among the group: were canned goods documented in the NC survivor cache and/or on the wreck itself at any point prior to AE and FN's arrival on Gardner?   ???

How to search TIGHAR.

Provisions left in the Norwich City cache.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Will Hatchell

• inactive
  • "Down to the nitty-gritty"
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »

How to search TIGHAR.

Provisions left in the Norwich City cache.

Thanks kindly, Marty. I'll master it eventually. :)

Hatch
Hatch

TIGHAR #3975S

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 11:37:43 PM »

In the book Ice Blink the author quotes a report from another Royal Navy ship that had taken on board the type of canned food that Franklin used and also quotes the list of available varieties of stews, canned meat etc. supposedly available from the company. IIRC the report from the ship that trialed the stuff said that some of it was imperfectly sealed and the stink was awful so they dumped the lot at sea plus what was in the cans that were properly sealed seems to have been semi-cooked mush. As I recall the canning process consisted of preparing the food in rather unhygienic conditions, then slopping it into the cans which were then placed in a large flat tub of heated water that was bought to the boil, the cans were then taken out and the lids were soldered on. A breeding ground for about every known bug I would imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org