Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Listening to the radio - Summer of '37  (Read 10915 times)

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
Listening to the radio - Summer of '37
« on: August 05, 2012, 06:00:54 PM »

What might we have heard on the radio in the summer of 1937 (Northern hemisphere summer, that is  :)) as we pondered what became of AE and FN?  Here's my first entry - "One O'Clock Jump", Count Basie Orchestra.

(Photo of Zenith 12U158 console radio courtesy of "Tuberadioland.com")
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Monte Chalmers

• T2
Re: Listening to the radio - Summer of '37
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »

Hi John.  I went to your link - see where the recording was made July 7th - just a few days after the disappearance (but not on the radio until sometime after release in August.  The radio was all we had at home - no TV until years after that - had to go to the movies to see any news.  :D
Monte TIGHAR #3597

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:31:51 AM »

Thanks Monte.  I'm a huge fan of early jazz and I listen to a ton of this music.  I seem to remember the record released on 8/8, but I can't find the reference.  At any rate great music!

Here's another - Billie Holiday "They Can't Take That Away From Me", recorded in April 1937.  Odds are Betty was listening to this version when she wrote down the lyrics in her notebook

I can relate to your story about the radio.  Although in our house it was the Zenith B&W TV and rabbit ear antenna.   :).

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:20:03 AM by John Balderston »

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:30:24 PM »

And one more for your listening pleasure - "Carelessly", recorded by Teddy Wilson and his Orchestra, March 1937; Billie Holiday on vocals.  Lyrics to this song also written in Betty's notebook

Although a sample size of two does not not a valid statistic make  :), one can jump to the conclusion that Betty liked Billie Holiday, which would mean Betty had excellent taste in music.  ;)

For anyone wanting to give Billie Holiday a try, may I recommend "The Essential Billie Holiday: The Columbia Years" (link to U.S. Amazon store for convenience; available just about anywhere).  The set lives up to its "essential" moniker - Billie's very best 78's from 1936 through the early 1940's recorded on Columbia's "Brunswick" and "Vocalion" labels.  In 1936 Billie was 21 years old, and had already lived a lifetime.  I agree with the critics/historians that say 1936-38 was the apex of her career.  In this time period pianist Teddy Wilson would set up many BH recording sessions with key players from Count Basie Orchestra - soloists Lester Young (tenor sax), Buck Clayton and Harry "Sweets" Edison (trumpets), Dickie Wells (trombone) and rhythm section - Walter Page (bass), Freddie Green (guitar) and Jo Jones (drums) (However, "Carelessly" players are from Duke Ellington Orchestra - Johnny Hodges, Harry Carney, Cootie Williams, etc. - of course GREAT as well).   In these sessions Billie would run through a stack of sheet music; the group had no problem keeping up, sometimes recording on the first take - incredible extemporaneous playing.  Every recording on here is a gem, and IMHO excellent background music while conducting AE research.  Enjoy!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:55:59 PM by John Balderston »

Monte Chalmers

• T2
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »

Yes. Billie Holliday was very popular. Many  pop singer in the US during that time have been influenced  by her. I have a couple of her work, but in 1939.  Nothing in 1937. We have the interest in 30s music in common .  I have almost everything done by Glenn Miller - but that starts in 1938 to his disappearance in 1944. Everything  I now have is digital - well, except a couple of examples of what a 78 rpm record looks like.  Did you know that before the Frisbee there was the 78? We used to toss worn-out/unwanted 78s - see how far we could get them to go.  The hard rubber they’re made of doesn’t stand up well to impacts!  :D  And needles in those days were hell on records - lots of wear outs.  ;D
Monte TIGHAR #3597

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 09:26:59 PM »

Did you know that before the Frisbee there was the 78?

Huge LOL  ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org