Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Attempted B-29 recovery  (Read 25354 times)

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
Attempted B-29 recovery
« on: July 29, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »

3971R

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
Re: Attempted B-29 recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 05:15:56 AM »

If they had been successful it would have been an epic adventure. Since they weren't it was an epic failure resulting in the loss of one of the few remaining B-29s. I'm not trying to be judgemental, and I appreciate the efforts and sacrifices they made, but wouldn't it be better to still have the plane instead of a bunch of melted parts on a frozen lake? One question I do have, given that the plane had sat there abandoned for so long, if they had gotten airborne, wouldn't there have been issues after they landed with the craft not being registered/inspected/etc? That's assuming that it flew and landed safey. neither of which was a guarantee. I don't think I would have gone along for the recovery flight.  LTM- John

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 06:22:08 AM »

Watching the sad ending of that video I heard in my mind the quote that has often graced the pages of TIGHAR Tracks. 

"… that they might escape the teeth of time and the hands of mistaken zeal. – JOHN AUBREY, Stonehenge Manuscripts, 1660"

Another thought crept in, the old joke:  "The operation was a success but the patient died."

That expedition was truly an adventure, remembering TIGHAR's take on that word:  “Adventure is what happens when things go wrong.”

For those who yearn for more "recovery" as opposed to methodical searching, this video should be a wake-up call.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 01:02:12 PM »

WOW. bruce youre right. What a story. People should look at this effort, and think about what it would take to remove an aircraft that WASNT flyable. Hige logistical nitemare, but rewarding.
I'm like to be involve in one of those---but not in Greenland--too cold for me!
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Bill Roe

• T3
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:39:33 PM »

............ if they had gotten airborne, wouldn't there have been issues after they landed with the craft not being registered/inspected/etc?

I imagine they would have taken it south to Thule - a former SAC Base.  Arrangements would have been made in advance.

I watched the first 10 minutes then moved ahead and watched the last 10 minutes.  What a terrible ending to a truly wonderful airplane.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 02:04:36 PM »

I couldn't watch it again after seeing the original years ago. But if you skipped the middle you may have missed that their mechanic died on their first trip.  This after attempting to get 4 engines repaired and fix the supply plane almost all by himself. That nice man basically worked himself to death. The last trip they brought a bigger team and new parts.
I always had this story in mind when wishing the Niku team a "safe trip" and seeing that others are wishing the team a safe trip as well.
Remember from the dailies they had some close calls when sending boats to chase after the AUV when it almost got into the reef?
A successful trip is getting back alive and well with no lost expensive gear and lots of data collected

3971R

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:55:13 PM »

I couldn't watch it again after seeing the original years ago. But if you skipped the middle you may have missed that their mechanic died on their first trip.  This after attempting to get 4 engines repaired and fix the supply plane almost all by himself. That nice man basically worked himself to death. The last trip they brought a bigger team and new parts.
I always had this story in mind when wishing the Niku team a "safe trip" and seeing that others are wishing the team a safe trip as well.
Remember from the dailies they had some close calls when sending boats to chase after the AUV when it almost got into the reef?
A successful trip is getting back alive and well with no lost expensive gear and lots of data collected

Great thread and posts Gregory!
These veterans deserve all the support and money we can throw at them, they are a living part of our history. Even here in the UK we do our best to keep 'em going, both ours and the US planes.
Sad to see the loss of the liberty belle as well recently as pointed out to me by Woody

http://youtu.be/o8Mi9WoQD_4
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 03:05:07 PM »

We have seen, sadly, the demise of a Boeing B-29. Here's a little clip of how they began their life...
http://youtu.be/6z6YNgJ6RNE
This must be the place

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »

Good little clip but it sure made it look easy.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »

Woody
We try to keep the Hueys flying over here as well. There are a number of them still going strong. Here's one doing its stuff at the Perth airshow...

http://youtu.be/Q8KAPjo-ShE
And, this image is of the one the Army own. It's based at Middle Wallop Army Air Corp base, about 6 miles from where I live and, it flies over my house on a regular basis, you can identify it by the sound before it appears over the house...
This must be the place

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 06:52:13 PM »

I teared up when this was first broadcast and I did again today. So much effort, planning, and funds all for naught, only because something unforseen or overlooked in the excitement had to happen. I like to think of the look on peoples faces as that big ol' Superfortress came in on approach at Thule 70 years after it was last seen in flight. Oh well...can only dream about it now.
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 07:36:19 AM »

Woody
We try to keep the Hueys flying over here as well. There are a number of them still going strong. Here's one doing its stuff at the Perth airshow...

http://youtu.be/Q8KAPjo-ShE
And, this image is of the one the Army own. It's based at Middle Wallop Army Air Corp base, about 6 miles from where I live and, it flies over my house on a regular basis, you can identify it by the sound before it appears over the house...

Great clip of the UH-1.

Your picture appears to be of the slightly more modern UH-1N with a more streamlined nose and a P&W PT-6T twin pack engine. Even better machine. Same distinguishing sound.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 11:42:05 AM »

The sound Woody, twin rotor blades?
This must be the place

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 11:58:19 AM »

That's the one. VC/NVA could hear it miles away! :-\
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »

That's the one. VC/NVA could hear it miles away! :-\

They could hear the Chinook from Cambodia and Laos ;)
This must be the place

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org