Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Norwich City - could it have been home?  (Read 42030 times)

Monte Chalmers

• T2
Norwich City - could it have been home?
« on: July 27, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »

I'm not expecting this subject to add anything constructive to the Amelia search,  but I'm curious about a couple of things. These and beaching the Electra, which has been answered in another thread are all that I have.
There are many threads here about the Norwich City, and many more reference it in one way or another.  Such as my thread about beaching the Electra - the subject was changed to tying down the Electra with items that might be found on the Norwich City.  And then there is the one about painting an SOS.  Every one  of these thing require something  I’m not finding written anywhere:  how do you get on board?  I mean with the keel of an ocean-going ship  resting on dry land - how does one get on the deck?  I wouldn’t think the ladder would drop down that far.  I can imagine myself  standing there looking up and no way to get up.  My point here is perhaps Amelia wasn't able to board the Norwich City.
OK - I somehow can get on deck.  I can tell you - one look at the island coconut  crabs and I’d be seriously  considering the ship to be home!  :D  I know that there was a fire, but I think that it wasn’t the whole ship and that there would be rooms with beds and a place out of the rain.  One place I read where when the  crew was rescued and abandoned the ship, there were a lot of provisions left behind.   I know the argument about it being too hot to stay on board - cut some stuff off the palm trees and made a lean-to on deck.  The deck is elevated and just might offer a freeze.  In fact, this afternoon I was up on my house roof - and I swear, there was a breeze I didn't notice on the ground! - and it made me think of writing this thread.  Also there should have been containers useful for collecting rain water.
Since the ship was so secure on the beach for years.................... I know,   ................woulda coulda shoulda !
Monte TIGHAR #3597

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Norwich City - could it have been home?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:24:36 PM »

http://tighar.org/wiki/TIGHAR_Tracks

You will find images of Norwich City among these links at low tide.
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Monte Chalmers

• T2
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »

http://tighar.org/wiki/TIGHAR_Tracks

You will find images of Norwich City among these links at low tide.
I'm not sure I went to where you were linking.  I got taken to Track listed volumes.  I went to the left side and entered Norwich City - which took me where I'd already studied - this is where I was looking at photos that made me doubt my ability to board.  I'm far from young but might compare with a woman and an injured man.  Anyway it doesn't look easy.  One place in what I just mentioned it was said a group of men entered from the waterline rear and were going to try climbing up inside - but put off doing it for a later time.  Then they never got back to doing it.  This doesn't sound inviting.
Monte TIGHAR #3597

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »

It was possible to walk thru a hole torn in the port side and climb up to the forepeak.
From Dick Evans
"Regarding the name Norwich City. As I recall the name could be read on the bow of the ship (1944) although it was not very plain. On one occasion several of us walked thru the hole torn in the port side of the hull and climbed up to the forepeak. From there we could see several places where the name was painted on equipment. For the next few months we threatened to climb back up and work our way to the bridge, which was in good shape. But like most things, this got lost in the scope-watching and similar exciting things we were doing. Don't know if this is any use to you or Lawrence, but there it is."
 Dick Evans
Ric noted in a reply to this that the bridge was destroyed. However I think he saw some high up structure intact even though it may not have been a bridge.
edit: The picture taken thru the hole was from 1938
My thoughts on using the ship as shelter here:
3971R

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:24:24 PM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

Paul John Patten

• T1
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 05:40:28 AM »

Monte brings up some good points and I agree. SAR 101...stay with the wreakage (crash site). Awhile back I asked the question: Why would they abandon the crash site and an outstanding landmark like the Norwich City to hike off to the Seven Site location? Most posters thought that I was way off on my question.  As for me and my background.......you couldn't have pried me from that location.

Paul John
              TIGHAR 3215R 

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »

Paul John
A castaway may have had to leave to search for water and the wreck may have already been washed off by then.
But before leaving their N.C. home it seems logical to leave a message on the ship which is an "outstanding landmark"
See Possible SOS on Norwich City thread for pictures of where an SOS could have been painted
Attached is a pdf on how it could be done
3971R

Bill Roe

• T3
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »

.......you couldn't have pried me from that location.

And to take it a step further.......

There may have been an abundance of materials on the Norwich City with which to provide a strong signal for searchers to see.  If not the ship itself possibly in flames.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 09:22:17 AM »

From the description of the Norwich City in 1929, it had “large rents” in the port side.
“Star. side buckled in, large rents port side, amidships, bottom must be torn out from fore peak to No. 4 hold”
http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Documents/Norwich_City/NorwichCity4.html
3971R

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 09:30:36 AM »

The stern didn't come loose until a storm during the NZ survey stage. 

One possibility is after the plane washed off the reef it floated along the edge until it got stuck or wedged under the stern. Then later when the stern broke lose, it squashed the plane and later took it down the seamount with it.
However, I think I read where Andrew dived on that area and didn't see evidence of marks left from a slide.

It is possible the stern stopped the plane from floating away long enough for it to eventually sink before it got too far away
3971R

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:09:28 PM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

Brian Ainslie

• T1
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 09:35:56 AM »

Doesn't it stand to reason that something lowered the life boats to the water? Maybe that something was close enough to be reached....

Also, I agree that a "rational" person would stay near that wreck (assuming they found it), especially if their own wreck was no longer visible. But if they were also using the plane's radio, and if the plane were not near the ship, that might preclude this option.

Just a few thoughts.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »

Attached is a PFF showing where I think stairs, crew quarters and the collision bulkhead were.

Note the tanks above where the toilets should be.
They may have been inviting if someone looking for water saw them but they may have just contained sea water.
3971R

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 03:01:57 PM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »

I have attached an image and marked area in red, I have only just noticed there appears to be a white panel with print on it

Anyone else noticed this before.

Member# 416

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 03:21:12 PM »

Richie,
I was always only seeing the big SOS on the bow
I think that white frame looking thing you highlighted are rails. Look at the pdf I attached in the previuous post and see the photo of the ship at the dock. You can see the white rails on the other side of the ship.
3971R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 03:37:08 PM »

I don't think it's rail's but will check it out anyway thank's Gregory

Member# 416

pilotart

• T3
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 07:18:57 AM »

If the Navy Float Planes (or the ...Itaska...) had seen an "SOS" painted on that obviously ancient hulk of a derelict shipwreck, they would likely have associated it with the long-ago rescue of the Norwich City's crew.

Now, if they Had Painted "AE" or something...

Now Fred being a current rated Ship's Master :o would/could ::) have recognized that the Stern of that Norwich City would be the easiest 'boat' access to the Island as the Bevington Crew did on their visit a few months later. This would have increased the likelihood of using the derelict as 'home-base' if possible.
Art Johnson

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org