Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New artifact?  (Read 12961 times)

C.W. Herndon

• T5
New artifact?
« on: July 24, 2012, 05:28:43 AM »

Could the artifact in picture 1, from Irv Donald's symposium pictures, be the triangular piece of aluminum below the Electra windshield shown in picture 2?

irv donald's Gallary symposium pictures

Electra windshield
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
Re: New artifact?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 06:43:40 AM »

Woody----you may have it. It does seem consistant. I was looking around the nacelle area, but the rivit pattern does seem to match closer to your idea. Perhaps Jeff Nevill can chime in here--
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 06:50:23 AM »

Since TIGHAR has the artifact, it seems to me like it should be fairly simple to compare it to the same piece on one of the museum Electras.

I, personally, have not seen a similar piece on another aircraft type.  :-\
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 06:17:45 PM »

Woody, several of us looked it over pretty well. But, its like you cant see the forest for the trees.
It would have been alittle bit different if we had a 'pristine'( non-repaired) original Electra 10E to examine. WE could then match that piece to the plane. But-----Ric couldnt get the plane in the ball room! Seriously---great idea------perhaps, it can be arranged with the Electra in New England ( not New Brittian) to see if it fits anywhere.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 06:35:29 PM »

Sure couldn't hurt anything. I think they made a tracing of the other aluminum artifact for comparison. Maybe they could do the same here.

No smoking gun but more ammunition?   :-\   Scale is a problem for me.  :(
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 03:36:03 PM »

Jeff---I think it did have countersunk rivits. But the picture that I have of this panel does seem to fit the location that Woody suggests.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org