Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pictures of Interest  (Read 41492 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Pictures of Interest
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »

... Hooven stated that the aero benefits of the new unit would outweigh (see what I did there) the loss of fuel she could carry.

Although Aristotle said that puns are the lowest form of humor, I laughed out loud when I saw what you did there.  ;D

As another great man once said, "Go, and sin no more."   8)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »

thanks marty, after doing a bit of reading it apears that the RDF she is holding in that picture is the one that was used on the flight. i havent actually found an image of the "heavy" modern unit but apparently it was much smaller and more aerodynamic. Hooven stated that the aero benefits of the new unit would outweigh (see what I did there) the loss of fuel she could carry.

Kevin, here are some pictures of what is thought to be the Hooven system.

Picture 1, not too good but not many pictures of this, is the housing for the loop antenna of the Hooven system.
Picture 2 is thought to be the remote tuning unit for the Hooven system radio receiver.
Picture 3 top half is thought to be the antenna tuning control for the Hooven system.
Picture 3 bottom half is thought to be the radio receiver for the Hooven system.

Hope these help.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:40:04 PM by C.W. Herndon »

Kevin Weeks

• T3
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 03:44:26 PM »

thanks marty, after doing a bit of reading it apears that the RDF she is holding in that picture is the one that was used on the flight. i havent actually found an image of the "heavy" modern unit but apparently it was much smaller and more aerodynamic. Hooven stated that the aero benefits of the new unit would outweigh (see what I did there) the loss of fuel she could carry.

Kevin, here are some pictures of what is thought to be the Hooven system.

Picture 1, not too good but not many pictures of this, is the housing for the loop antenna of the Hooven system.
Picture 2 is thought to be the remote tuning unit for the Hooven system radio receiver.
Picture 3 top half is thought to be the antenna tuning control for the Hooven system.
Picture 3 bottom half is thought to be the radio receiver for the Hooven system.

Hope these help.

very interesting woody. I have seen some of these before when going through the myriad of text that marty's link led to.

from the reading I have done I have to agree with everything the pictures you put up show except for the picture #3 top half. I do not see what the arrow is supposed to be pointing towards. you can clearly see the area that the arrow points to in the bottom picture but I see nothing relevant??

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »

Kevin, the top picture is pointing toward a black box that seems to be hanging from the ceiling above the fuel tank.

Here is a picture of what the front of the box may have looked like.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Kevin Weeks

• T3
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »

Kevin, the top picture is pointing toward a black box that seems to be hanging from the ceiling above the fuel tank.

Here is a picture of what the front of the box may have looked like.

ahh I found the problem. my browser window needed to be moved over so I could see the rest of the image (blushes profusely!)  when I was looking at it originally the picture ended right at the tip of the arrow so I didn't see the box!

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »

Ah so. We all do things like that sometimes. ??? Glad the pictures helped.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org