Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Reef Damage  (Read 24475 times)

Richard Miller

• T1
Reef Damage
« on: November 21, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »

I recall reading that the reef shelf on Niku looks deceivingly smooth, when in fact it is comprised of deep crevasses and wide gashes.
If AE's plane actually would have landed on that shelf it would have crashed, rather than landed smoothly.
If that is the case, I am wondering if there are still tell-tale signs of the Electra's impact on the shelf. It's hard to imagine something of that size impacting the reef and not causing  a large depression or impact crater where it hit. Granted a lot of time has passed, but is it possible that the damage is still there?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Reef Damage
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »

The reef flat where the available evidence suggests the plane was landed (just north of the shipwreck) is flat and smooth enough to permit a safe landing in a Lockheed 10 at low tide. The classic "spur and groove" features you refer to as "deep crevasses and wide gashes" are seaward of the area that dries at low tide.  If you watch the video that is now on the homepage of this website (www.tighar.org) you can see for yourself.  As far as any possible remaining scar in the reef surface goes, even if the plane had nosedived straight into the reef flat I doubt that there would leave a scar. The only scar I've seen on that reef is from the keel of the Norwich City - a 5,000 ton freighter - and the scar is only about two inches deep.

Ric Gillespie

Norman Daly

• T1
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 06:50:18 PM »

Wow. Very nicely done short film on Tighar and the search for AE! Reasoned, logical, and focused...I wish I were going on the 2010 trip!

Norm
Norm Daly
4127R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 07:14:34 PM »

Thanks Norm. We're pretty proud of that film. Mark Smith and Stephanie Daniels of Oh Seven Films did a great job.

Ric

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 06:18:39 AM »

Yes indeed!  Much more to come.

Ric

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:35:16 AM »

Speeking of the film (which I've enjoyed several times now), I was quite taken by Ric's hat selections. Oh the possibilities there... Also impressed with his obvious talent for the squeeze box. FYI - should Tighar ever need a muic historian, I'm your guy!

Can't wait to see more footage from Niku.

All the best,

t

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 10:32:54 AM »

Thanks Tim,

Hats-R-Us.  My favorite is the cork helmet, often mistakenly called a "pith helmet" (I, of course, also have a true pith helmet). All hats are too hot for Niku but you do need something to keep the sun off.  The cork helmet does that, plus it doesn't blow off in the wind and it provides protection from falling coconuts.  The latter may sound silly unless you've watched a five-pound coconut come down from a forty foot tree.  The biggest drawback to the cork helmet is the commentary from colleagues.

The squeeze box (concertina) is a lot of fun and it's less bulky than a guitar (which I couldn't play anyway).

In many ways these expeditions are, by necessity, a sort of 19th century enterprise and, for me, both the headgear and the music are a connection to that time.

Ric

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 01:07:42 PM »

The TIGHAR film is great! I have seen it several times myself.

Was that aerial footage shot from the helicopter you encounter there some years back?

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 04:10:14 PM »

Ric,
You need to find a Sponge helmet liner that will help keep your brain cooler.  Dip it in water and wa la!
Ted Campbell

pilotart

• T3
Final Approach Video
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 11:09:31 PM »

The TIGHAR film is great! I have seen it several times myself.

Was that aerial footage shot from the helicopter you encounter there some years back?
Absolutely LOVED That Video!  Especially the 'FINAL Approach' Shot coming over the Norwich City.
Only need to imagine a slightly lower tide to expect a successful 'Wheel' landing in a 'light' Lockheed 10E.

May you have the best of success on your Twenty-Ten Archeological Expedition!!! :-*
Art Johnson

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 06:30:01 AM »

Yes.  If you'd like to see the entire flight, both around the outer perimeter of the atoll and a low level trip around the lagoon shore, plus a short history of the island, "An Aerial Tour of Nikumaroro" is available on DVD from the TIGHAR Store at http://www.tighar.org/TIGHAR_Store/tigharstore2.html
Well worth the 50 bucks (TIGHAR member price).

Ric

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 06:33:01 AM »

You need to find a Sponge helmet liner that will help keep your brain cooler.  Dip it in water and wa la!l

Good idea. The team are always telling me to go soak my head anyway.

Ric
Reef
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 07:58:50 AM »

Hello Ric,

This is my first post. Just wanna say that the video is excellent. Loved especially the 'reef landing'.
I'm a Filipino working as a missionary in Pakistan!... just to tell you that somebody is following TIGHAR (everyday!) even from there!

Jude

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 08:21:39 AM »

Hey Jude!  (I'll bet you get that a lot.)

Thanks for your support. We're flattered.

Ric

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 07:26:19 AM »

Ric--Just watched the video of TIGHARs search on Nikumaroro, GREAT video---really shows the amount of effort from you and the rest of the TIGHAR team.
The woman from Fiji suggests that she knows of the weckage "north" of the shipwreck. Would it be possible to suggest that storms and wave action either broke the plane up, or floated it off the reef into deep water? If that is the case, possibly there is some part of the plane embedded the ocean floor, or on the side of the slope leading to the reef. I believe that you are on the right track.
Tom
I recall reading that the reef shelf on Niku looks deceivingly smooth, when in fact it is comprised of deep crevasses and wide gashes.
If AE's plane actually would have landed on that shelf it would have crashed, rather than landed smoothly.
If that is the case, I am wondering if there are still tell-tale signs of the Electra's impact on the shelf. It's hard to imagine something of that size impacting the reef and not causing  a large depression or impact crater where it hit. Granted a lot of time has passed, but is it possible that the damage is still there?

Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org