Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: General Outline of 2010 Trip to Niku  (Read 15753 times)

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
General Outline of 2010 Trip to Niku
« on: November 09, 2009, 08:29:18 PM »

Ric,
Will you give us a gerneral outline of what tasks are planed for the 2010 trip to Niku?  How are we coming with the funding of next years trip?  Are we anywhere close to getting the money to fund the seaplane support etc.
Ted Campbell

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: General Outline of 2010 Trip to Niku
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:36:18 PM »

Hi Ted,

I'll put together a status report on expedition planning and funding in the next fews days.  Lots going on - all of it good.

Ric

Ricker H Jones

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 09:44:27 AM »

Because of the difficulty getting the Norwich City survivors off the reef, the Trongate and Lincoln Ellsworth moved to a location about a mile and a half south of the wreck site.  As the native crews made more attempts at crossing the surf, that position too, was moved a little further south.  The last of the survivors, including Captain Hamer, remained for one more night with the natives building a fire and cooking crabs and birds.  When these last survivors were taken off, they "gathered what they could" of the "generous" supplies that had been brought ashore (to the new rescue location) and took them off.  We don't know what supplies were left ashore, but Hamer had asked for "a case of milk would come in useful also matches, chlorodyne as some of us are getting diarrhea and any old boots (one pair size tens) and any old hats and tobacco". This last camp may have been the "bivouac" area that Bevington alluded to.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:32:58 PM by Ricker H Jones »

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:25:37 PM »

Ric

None of TIGHAR's expeditions to Niku have been May / June timeframe.  What do we know about the typical weather during this time of year?  I can't remember if there is a typical rainy / dry season pattern on Niku, is there one?

Do we have tide predictions for the dates of NIku VI?

Andrew McKenna

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 12:21:56 PM »

Ric,
Would you give us a brief overview of the planning to date.
Ted Campbell

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 07:39:11 PM »

Ric,
Would you give us a brief overview of the planning to date.

I'm not Ric, and I don't play him in my dreams, but I think there is a menu item on the left side of this page that may answer your question.

Tom King also developed a proposed archeological research plan for the diggers on the team.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 10:19:12 PM »

the best overview of the upcoming Niku VI expedition is found, oddly enough, in the "History" section of the Earhart Project Overview.  Doesn't make sense for Niku VI to be in the History section, but that is where it is.

I've tried to get TIGHAR Central to move this summary of Niku VI out of the History and into the Niku VI section of the website, but I guess they haven't had time yet. 

see

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/NikuVI/Niku6overview.html

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org