Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why did the Itasca search to the Northwest of Howland?  (Read 45234 times)

John Hart

• T1
Re: Why did the Itasca search to the Northwest of Howland?
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 01:40:19 PM »

Some interesting stuff. She did not get underway until 1040, two hours after last transmission. In my theory they would have long since been flying SSE.

Very close dry and wet bulb temps and warm water (83-84 degrees). Would have been very humid and hazy.

I see CU and Alto CU but not sure what "moving from" column means as it shows mostly E, NE. I can't imagine that means the puffies were E of them moving W.

More interesting detail to ponder.

TWW...

JB

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
This must be the place

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 05:48:06 PM »

Very interesting.  ::)
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2012, 07:45:46 PM »

Was just browsing through the Itasca deck logs and noticed the headings and course changes
Looked kind of strange. I was expecting to see some type of search pattern around the LOP
157/337 to the north.
A quick sketch on a note pad of the course taken by Itasca looked like a drunken fly had crawled around the note pad!
Is there a map somewhere in Tighars archives I can check my headings and route against?
I must be doing something wrong?
This must be the place

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 08:10:17 PM »

Jeff, here is a Google Earth Picture that Eric posted in the Thread "Google Earth Coordinates, reply#25".

Hope this helps.   :)
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 08:16:50 PM »

Thanks Woody, my understanding of the course appears to be correct! Wow!
I can now see how much the poor visibility NW of Howland influenced the search, at the expense of a search pattern around the northern part of the LOP of course.
It was a long shot I guess, assuming that the failure of AE and FN to locate Howland was due to visibility issues but, what else could they do?
This must be the place

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 08:22:30 PM »

Here is a later version that Eric published. I'm not sure why he changed it. Probably need to read the whole discussion.  ???
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2012, 08:26:15 PM »

Was just browsing through the Itasca deck logs and noticed the headings and course changes
Looked kind of strange. I was expecting to see some type of search pattern around the LOP
157/337 to the north.
A quick sketch on a note pad of the course taken by Itasca looked like a drunken fly had crawled around the note pad!
Is there a map somewhere in Tighars archives I can check my headings and route against?
I must be doing something wrong?

Check out all the search maps.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2012, 08:32:55 PM »

Thanks Bruce. That's Great.  :D
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 12:15:48 AM »

Some interesting stuff. She did not get underway until 1040, two hours after last transmission. In my theory they would have long since been flying SSE.

Very close dry and wet bulb temps and warm water (83-84 degrees). Would have been very humid and hazy.

I see CU and Alto CU but not sure what "moving from" column means as it shows mostly E, NE. I can't imagine that means the puffies were E of them moving W.

More interesting detail to ponder.

TWW...

JB
We also discussed reading the weather code used for reporting the weather which you might find of interest.

https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,587.msg9031.html#msg9031

gl

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 12:50:42 AM »

Thanks for the link Bruce. The map of the combined search area, very interesting from the ditch/crash and sink scenario point of view given the time of arrival on site of each search vessel.
This must be the place

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org