Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fred's Stop Clocks  (Read 27123 times)

Paul R Titus

• T1
Re: Fred's Stop Clocks
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 07:13:30 PM »

According to Omega, "Earhart's Lockheed Electra 10E NR was equipped with a dashboard an Omega 39 CHRO chronograph. On her wrist, the most famous aviatrix of all time wore an Omega 28.9 chronograph and Fred Noonan sported an Omega Marine."

http://www.omegamuseum.com/pioneering-spirit

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »

Great fine Paul!  :)  Must be a new post. I have been to their site several times and found nothing.  ::)
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:47:32 PM by C.W. Herndon »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 08:46:36 PM »

The Omega data base does not include examples of the watches that the site claims were worn by AE and FN. It does, however include a listing for the "Aircraft chronograph". Except for the dial color, it appears to be the one shown in our pictures of the navigator's table in the electra. Hurrah!  ;D See pictures below.

Omega Aircraft Chronograph
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:51:11 AM by C.W. Herndon »

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 09:58:36 PM »

Woody, great find!
Cheers,
JohnO

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 01:34:50 AM »

Thanks John. Paul is the one who found the place to look!  :D

I'm not convinced about the individual watches yet.  :-\
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Mark Pearce

• T3
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 03:22:34 PM »

An original print of the Earhart/Manning photo can be had for a mere $345-

http://aviation-antiques.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000475

AMELIA EARHART /HARRY MANNING ORIGINAL PHOTO, 1937

"...Very rare original photograph of legendary aviatrix Amelia Earhart taken by her only authorized personal photographer, Albert Bresnik......this 10" by 13" image is mounted on 16" by 20" mat and signed in ink personally by Bresnik as well as having his embossed logo in the lower left hand of the photograph.... an affixed (copied) note on reverse of photo by Bresnik states that he was "Amelia Earharts personal photographer" and that "You are in the possession of a valuable photograph of Amelia Earhart taken by myself..."

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »

I have finally located watches very similar to those worn by AN and FN on their flight. Omega Chronotachymetre here and picture 1 below. AE's here and picture 2 below. This one has minor differences in a) type of hands and b) location of small registers.

Omega Chronotachymetre
AE's Watch

Omega Marine Watch here and picture 3 below. FN's here and picture 4 below. Difference in watch face, round dial as opposed to square one.

Omega Marine Watch, 1934
FN's Watch
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Paul R Titus

• T1
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 03:20:03 PM »

I have finally located watches very similar to those worn by AN and FN on their flight. Omega Chronotachymetre here and picture 1 below. AE's here and picture 2 below. This one has minor differences in a) type of hands and b) location of small registers.

Omega Chronotachymetre
AE's Watch

That's a darn good match, Woody: AE's watch and the Chronotachymetre-thingy. That watch forum even stated: "think these have a movement called caliber 28.9, after the diameter of the movement" which matches the description I found at Omega. BUT doesn't Fred's watch look almost the same? Except that the area outside the dial (the circular part swept by the hands), is dark vs AE's white. Could they each have worn the same model watch on the world flight? You know, make it easier to "synch watches" so to speak, right down to the "error" associated with the movement?

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 06:09:04 PM »

Paul, I was looking for one that matched what the Omega web site said Fred was wearing. I found it hard to believe he was wearing a watch that did not have a stop function.

You may be right, they look very similar in the bad pictures we have. I have discovered that there were apparently different options for the same model watch. This changed their appearance somewhat.

Good point about being able to "synch watches".
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org