Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: NIKU VII  (Read 278478 times)

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
Re: NIKU VII
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2012, 07:09:22 AM »

Wonder why no updates today :(
There are.  Go to the newly-created "Week 3" page to read about freaky Friday the 13th.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2012, 09:22:44 AM »

[iThanks bruce  8)

An they have found an  object cat 2, 6 metres by 2 metres wide

With a bit of look on closer inspection it may look like this

We can hope anyway
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »

Richie, we don't know the exact location of the object on the reef face, yet. The size quoted may well indicate it as being a chunk of the Norwich City but, hopefully not. It's interesting to see how the AUV and ROV work in partnership, the AUV pinpointing WHERE to look and the ROV doing the looking (and rescuing). Plus the hard work of the teams in getting the kit working despite the odd hiccup or two.
From the specifications of both the AUV and ROV I can only imagine the amount and quality of the data collected so far, not forgetting the expertise of the teams running them.
Slow and steady does it.
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2012, 10:07:05 AM »

Seem's luck is on there side managing to get AUV free

Let's hope there is no more accidents. 

Member# 416

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:51:12 AM by Bob Lanz »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »

Obviously, yesterday wasnt the best day. But---they learned to improvise. Gee---if Andrew were there, he could have dove down and freed the AUV, AND done a visual on the target! I know I know-----but what the hell ---I can dream --for Andrew---right?
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »

Free diving from the surface, 1600 ft, no problem!  Just like those polynesian pearl divers.....

Adapt and overcome, that is the name of the game when visiting Nikumaroro.

Andrew

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2012, 02:07:38 AM »

Daily report 14th July. Looks promising when you hear the people who use and live with the kit say positive things about the data they are collecting.
Interpreting what you are looking at is a two way process. Looking at rocks and coral and trying to identify people stuff works the other way around as well, we do it all the time in real life without even realizing it. As an example when you are in the Market for a new car you might try to visualize what it would look like if it was a different color, had 5 doors as opposed to 3 etc... Or if the house had different window styles, a conservatory, an extension etc...
No one in their right mind would try to visualize what a car or house would look like after 70+ years of coral growth, erosion and distribution had taken their toll. That's what makes it hard to visualize and accept.
So far so good.
This must be the place

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:17:09 AM by Bob Lanz »
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2012, 03:53:05 AM »

If the Electra is down there, wouldn't it be in one piece? Or maybe three big pieces, wings and fuselage? Why should there be many small parts? Yes, I assume some small parts, (landing gear, etc.), but also some big parts, or one big electra barely demaged.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2012, 09:06:46 AM »

Just a gentle reminder to all of us who are eagerly following the Daily Updates with fingers crossed - this is NOT free. TIGHAR has NOT raised all of the money it needs to pay for all of this.

I got paid on Friday. My latest donation check to TIGHAR went out the same day. If you believe in the Niku hypothesis, it's time to pony up some $$$$$. Talk is cheap, answers ain't.

LTM, who trys to pick the winning ponies,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2012, 09:19:26 AM »

I doubt very much if it would be in one piece Oskar. Probably a combination of your other two choices, big pieces, small, pieces and small parts. Even tourist, bottom of blue lagoon aircraft wrecks have bits broken off and parts scattered about. The Niku reef slope/seamount is causing problems with the kit being deployed on this expedition, a good indication of how inhospitable it is, 45 to 90 degree slope.
The scenario is that the plane was swept off of the reef flat and got chewed up on its way down. Add to that the erosion and corrosion of parts over the years, especially those that hold other parts together, once they go the parts they hold together will obey gravity and head down the slope. Heavy gear like engines will place a considerable strain on decaying superstructure especially significant on a steep slope.
Electra is the hope but, at this stage let's just say aircraft wreckage for now and, remember planes are constructed to be strong and light weight where as cargo ships are built to be strong and, well, strong.
IMHO of course
This must be the place

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2012, 09:20:20 AM »

If the Electra is down there, wouldn't it be in one piece? Or maybe three big pieces, wings and fuselage? Why should there be many small parts? Yes, I assume some small parts, (landing gear, etc.), but also some big parts, or one big electra barely damaged.

As you note, there are anecdotes and maybe a picture of parts: aluminum inlay, aluminum in the village, aluminum pieces picked up by TIGHAR, the Bevington object.

We know that storm surges can be quite destructive.

We know that improbabilities are different from impossibilities--strange things do happen.

Right now, it is just a matter of making guesses and placing bets.  TIGHAR is betting that there could be identifiable pieces in the area it is searching; others bet otherwise.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2012, 09:44:18 AM »

A spur and groove reef face, shallow part, hence the divers and, not verey steep at all. Not the sort of place that light weight aluminium construction would tend to thrive in IMHO
http://youtu.be/Na4dMzVp-aY
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »

I too think it is in several larger pieces, then much smaller ones that have drifted. Wings, fuse, both tails and horizontals are most likely in separate pieces, and scattered. The panels, and attaching skins have probably migrated elsewhere. I still hope there is enough of a wing to show part of the N number. If Ric finds that----I'll eat a steak in his honor!
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »

Well, I think, the best "smoking gun" would be a WASP. An engine will be found easier than anything else. Do you agree?

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2012, 12:42:38 PM »

am looking forward to tomorrow's update, as we should find out if any man made objects have been picked up by AUV on slope under Nessie  :)

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org