Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: NIKU VII  (Read 274628 times)

Guillermo

• T1
Re: NIKU VII
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »

This could be something like 'Nessie'?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYYNJIFMNkg

John Hart

• T1
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2012, 07:00:36 PM »

Hey, I gave them props for the good Bitters and forgot to mention the beetles. Being of Scottish heritage didn't worry about offending them but props for the single malts anyway.

Told everyone to ignore daylight savings time as not all country's, and not all US states, observe it. But the computer trick always works as it knows if it needs to apply it and will show that on your "select time zone" screen.  You can find all the other places on that screen too.

JB

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »

will they have started work there now ?

From the dailies.  I've inserted local times in bold:

I am writing this at 5:30 PM EDT.
If TIGHAR Niku Time (TNT) is GMT -11, that makes it 10:30 AM out there now (on July 12, because they are ignoring the date line).
But looking at the Dailies it is now clear that the KOK is keeping their clocks set to 10 hours behind Zulu, not 11. The Phoenix island keep their clocks set to 13 hours ahead of Zulu, (the same as 11 hours behind Zulu but plus one day of 24 hours) which is 17 hours ahead of EDT. The KOK is also ignoring that Kiribati has chosen to keep its date the same as west of the date line but the KOK is keeping the date as east of the date line, the same as the U.S.  so if they were to go ashore on one of the inhabited islands in the Phoenix's, their calender would be one day lower than those on shore and their clock time would be one hour ahead of the clocks on the island. This puts the KOK time six hours earlier than Eastern Daylight Savings Time. So your example, at 1730 EDT July 12th it was 1130 KOK time on July 12th and 1030 Phoenix Island time on July 13th.

gl
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:53:42 PM by Gary LaPook »

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2012, 10:54:20 PM »

If TIGHAR Niku Time (TNT) is GMT -11, that makes it 10:30 AM out there now (on July 12, because they are ignoring the date line).
But looking at the Dailies it is clear that the KOK is keeping their clocks set to 10 hours behind Zulu, not 11.

That is perfectly clear from the July 12 report, which was not available when I made my calculation.

You will notice, of course, that my proposition began with the word "if."  I couldn't find my source for the idea that they were using UTC -11, so I did not assert it unconditionally.   ::)
I modified my post and added the word "now."

gl

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2012, 07:34:53 AM »

I modified my post and added the word "now."

You da man!  :)

Thanks for helping to get it sorted out.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2012, 08:04:31 AM »

Interesting to note that there is equipment problems on this expedition, as was the case with the previous expedition. Is there something down there that doesn't want to be discovered?
Cue theme music from the twilight zone ;)
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »

seemed to work OK in Hawaii-----maybe the spirit of julia---I mean AE, is protesting a bit-----
 :o
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »

WOW!!!! Maybe, their Friday the 13th came early! Then again....the crew should have gone to the island first thing and put sand on their faces as indicated by Ric at the conference in D.C. That seemed to work from previous expeditions. Anyway, like most underwater toys...dealing with electronics, technology, and salt water...you're bound to have a few glitches and gremlins now and then. Anyway, I just read my facebook posts and found out our wonderful Thomas King has changed his profile picture. And to think we've been searching for so long for this missing skull and bones for quite some time. Anyway, I had to laugh at his sense of humor! I'm sure the crew could use a good laugh after the first day of misfires per say. Anyway, in the past couple of days I've wondered if anyone has taken note of the little things that Amelia had in her possession at the time of her world flight. In one of the telegrams as indicated by the Purdue collection, it mentions that they traveled light. In one of the youtube videos it does indicate that she had only one briefcase (which was completely full) and occasionally she wore glasses. Does anyone else know what her and Fred had with them on that flight? We know she had fuel cans! What did they store their drinking water in? We know that she must have had luggage...but how much did she carry on board? Did they update their inventory list before they left Lae? Did they have any kind of flare system with them on the plane? How much rope did they have? Questions, that I'd like to hear from most of you on!!!

Also, on a serious note... If Fred had been drinking on the flight and they landed the plane...and the water supply ran out and he ran out of alcohol...what kind of life expectancy is there for someone like that, and does he fall prey to other things such as rubbing alcohol or other chemicals to supplement his drinking binge?

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »

Randy you will find all your answers in previous forum topics, all 15 pages of them

everything you have asked, has been answered in general discussions

I think  :-\

anyways have any of you's been following this story of late ?  http://www.plmk.com/content/baltic-sea-underwater-mushroom-shaped-object-weird
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2012, 07:39:11 PM »

It's the old 'millennium falcon' story again Richie. Chewbacca denies it but, we know better.
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »

Strewth, nearly lost the AUV!
Check out the latest daily report.
There is definitely something which doesn't want to be discovered!
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »

Sounds as though that reef face/seamount is as unfriendly as we thought it was. :-\
This must be the place

Anthony Allen Roach

• T2
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2012, 08:41:54 PM »

My hands got sweaty reading that last daily.  I was terrified the whole time that they had lost the AUV.
"Six the Hard Way."

« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2012, 03:14:10 AM »

Also, on a serious note... If Fred had been drinking on the flight and they landed the plane...and the water supply ran out and he ran out of alcohol...what kind of life expectancy is there for someone like that, and does he fall prey to other things such as rubbing alcohol or other chemicals to supplement his drinking binge?

Randy,
please notice:
http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Forum/FAQs/noonan.htm

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2012, 06:39:04 AM »

Wonder why no updates today :(
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org