Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: NIKU VII  (Read 274455 times)

Lisa Anne Hill

• T1
Re: NIKU VII
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »

YAY! Pictures made it! I wonder if it's something having to do with my computer at home? oh well... ???

Almost forgot - Ric wanted me to say "hi" to y'all here on the forum and thank you for your support and good wishes.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2012, 04:51:03 PM »

So by now I bet some of you thought I DID stow away on KoK - if only that had been the case. Sigh. ;)
I was beginning to worry, Lisa!  Ask Tom.

They'll have to "sneak" it on the boat though since the cap'n runs a "dry" boat...
There shouldn't be any problem there with the cap'n.  After all, you did empty the contents and fill it back half-full of water like I told you, didn't you?  WHAT!!

Seriously, I'm tickled that you got the opportunity to have your own little Earhart75 Symposium there in Honolulu.  Now we'll all have to just be patient until midnight July 11, while the K-O-K imitates a slow boat to China Niku.

Thanks for the update (and especially the pictures!), Lisa.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »

Hey Lisa=====glad you made it back to shore---thought maybe you did stowaway!!! ;D
Great pics----you'll have to tell us about your mini symposium!
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2012, 08:05:19 AM »

Lets see, in the dailies found here

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Niku7/niku7dailies2.html#n708

Pat says "They should arrive at Nikumaroro in the wee hours of Thursday, July 12, local time. They will begin immediately to map the primary search area with the Multi-Beam; if it’s still dark when they finish that, they’ll do a lap around the island (about two hours) to generate a general profile of the reef."

Since local Niku time is UCT +13, that means they should be arriving about now = UCT Weds July 11, 1400 hrs.  Should be 3 am Niku Time, July 12th (Did I get that right?), and they just might have fish in the water by now.

Happy fishing, hook the big one.

Andrew

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2012, 08:18:46 AM »

you guys are better at keeping time than I am-----but i hope you are right.
so Pat is writing the dailies. COOL----excellent job!
Tom

Anthony Allen Roach

• T2
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »

I thought I read somewhere that the dailies are being posted based on our time and date as of Eastern time in the U.S.  If that is true, then the KOK should arrive in the early morning hour of tomorrow for the U.S., which would be Friday on the other side of the dateline.
"Six the Hard Way."

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »

Lets see, in the dailies found here

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Niku7/niku7dailies2.html#n708

Pat says "They should arrive at Nikumaroro in the wee hours of Thursday, July 12, local time. They will begin immediately to map the primary search area with the Multi-Beam; if it’s still dark when they finish that, they’ll do a lap around the island (about two hours) to generate a general profile of the reef."

Since local Niku time is UCT +13, that means they should be arriving about now = UCT Weds July 11, 1400 hrs.  Should be 3 am Niku Time, July 12th (Did I get that right?), and they just might have fish in the water by now.

Happy fishing, hook the big one.

Andrew

Actually, we have here a similar situation to what AE faced with Itasca at Howland Island, where the ship used a different local time from those on the island, and AE was using GMT.  It gets all confused.

Each night, I've been plotting the lat/long in Google Earth that Pat has put on the webpage, watching the slooooow progress in a "perfectly" straight line of about 213 degrees out of Honolulu (for Ric's sake, it passes comfortably offshore McKean, and headed for the west of Niku).  I've also been comparing her figures to what KoK's daily report is saying (and that seems to conform to the way other vessels I've traveled on) to be a noon-time posting.  So some of my pushpins on GE have "local time" and others say "EDT".  (For a nice GE view, see what Rick Jones has just posted.  I wonder how many of us have been doing the same surrepticiously! ;-) )

In Pat's posting last night that you reference, she spoke of them crossing the equator yesterday (Tuesday) at about 10 minutes before 2 p.m. ship-time.  On the daily report of KoK, they wrote
POSITION: LAT: 00-13.7 N   LONG: 171-30.2 W
MILES RUN: 217 NM
TOTAL MILES RUN: 1495 NM AV. SPD 9.0 @ 230 RPM
DISTANCE TO GO: 349 NM
CROSSING EQUATOR AT APPROX 1400 HRS. 
WE SHOULD ARRIVE ON STATION NIKUMARORO IS.  APPROX 0300 7/12/12. 
SHIP AND CREW DOING FINE.

(BTW, for weekend noon reports, the daily postings usually don't appear until Monday or Tuesday.  So I guess it's a manual process involving someone back in Honolulu to update that webpage.)

Anthony has just posted something while I've been composing this that sounds right from what I can discern.  From the "APPROX 0300 7/12/12" in yesterday's (local) noon posting, I infer that they aren't (yet) considering themselves to be on the other side of the virtual Kiribati dateline.   Whether they're using Honolulu time, or have pushed their clocks back an hour or two, is unknown to me.  But I'm expecting that as I'm watching TV late tonight, KoK will be slipping past McKean in the mid-afternoon (ship's time).  And when I wake up tomorrow, she'll be carefully preparing to avoid the fringing reef of Niku in the dark of about 3 a.m. (ship's time).   Paraphrasing the late Rodney King, "Can't we all use GMT/UCT?"
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:00:23 AM by Bruce Thomas »

Gus Rubio

• T2
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »

The suspense is killing me!

The daily updates are great to read, if brief.  I just hope there are no technical or other issues that hamper the search. 

Wishing the TIGHAR crew clear water, cooling winds, and amazing discoveries.

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »

Yes there is a lot of suspense especially because even if they find   smoking gun they won't be able to tell us because of the agreement with Discovery.  We will be left to try to decode clues in the daily updates.  It would be nice to have a signal if they find something significant even if they can't give details until they get back to Hawaii or wherever the Discovery news conference would be.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2012, 01:05:14 PM »

OK, according to Pat at TIGHAR Central:

"So far they are planning on staying on the U.S. side of the dateline. It's all pretty arbitrary and it helps everyone keep track of the days so that they get back in time for everyone to make their flights out."

Makes some sense and avoids a lot of confusion.  So it isn't UCT +13, it is UCT - 11 hrs, so they should be arriving there 1200 - 1400 hrs UCT July 12th.

Drat ! another half a day to go.

Andrew

Dave Potratz

• T2
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »

I'm figuring/hoping that, info-wise, "the cat" will not be able to stay in "the bag" and the floodgates will open right up (forgive the mixed metaphor  ::) ).

ExCITing?   Oh no, not HARDLY!!  :D

dp

Anthony Allen Roach

• T2
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2012, 01:16:56 PM »

Paraphrasing the late Rodney King, "Can't we all use GMT/UCT?"

That's why we always used to have a big meeting the night before any fleet exercise or amphibious operation, and make sure everyone was on the same sheet of music as to the time.  Of course, we would help the Marines by showing where Mickey's hands should be pointing.   :D
"Six the Hard Way."

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2012, 01:23:29 PM »

oh anthony-------we all know that when there is a fight , the Navy give the Marines a ride.
Son of a 31 year Marine Gunner---(EOD)---and PROUD

Anthony Allen Roach

• T2
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »

I love the Marines.  And they loved working with me.  Just could not resist a little friendly poke in their direction.
"Six the Hard Way."

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2012, 04:57:12 AM »

Bob---you are the man!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org