Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Evaluating the Niku hypothesis: conflicting strategies for testing hypotheses  (Read 126008 times)

Thom Boughton

• T2
  • Infinite Rider on The Big Dogma

Clearly not a smoking gun....howver I am curious as to what other purposes your standard run-of-the-mill freckle cream might have?

We don't know for certain that it is a freckle-cream jar.  The great problem is that all freckle-cream jars found so far are milk glass, not transparent.

Quite aware that we are not sure, didn't intend to imply otherwise. 

Perhaps I misunderstood your earlier comment.  I thought you had proposed a Coastie possibly had a jar of freckle cream for use in some other unspecified application.  I  was merely curious as to what other purpose freckle cream might have.  It just seems to be quite a specific item.

Couldn't think of anything else it might be used for....perhaps some type of cleaner maybe, but that was all I could come up with.  (However, I should think the CG would already have on-hand at a Loran installation several types of cleaners much better suited to that task.)

tb
TIGHAR #3159R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator

I thought you had proposed a Coastie possibly had a jar of freckle cream for use in some other unspecified application.  I  was merely curious as to what other purpose freckle cream might have.  It just seems to be quite a specific item.

I'm trying to cope with both sides of the ID question.

Even if it is a freckle-cream jar, that doesn't rule out a Coastie having it to deal with freckles or some other skin condition, nor does it rule out having a jar from home that was re-purposed after the freckle-cream was all used up.

If it is not a freckle-cream jar, that might expand the range of possible Coastie uses of the original product.  And, as in the first case, the original contents may be irrelevant if someone saved the jar to use it for some other purpose after the contents were all used up.

We should probably call it the Hazel-Atlas jar rather than the freckle-cream jar.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Thom Boughton

• T2

Yes, well...at least we're sure of that much.

The base of it has all the same indications of melting from campfire though?  Can't imagine what a Coastie would be boiling in an ointment pot in a picnic fire.  Not big enough for a coffee pot or to be part of a still.

Hmmmm...

tb
TIGHAR #3159R

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:48:05 AM by Thom Boughton »

richie conroy

• T5

Yes, well...at least we're sure of that much.

The base of it has all the same indications of melting from campfire though?  Can't imagine what a Coastie would be boiling in an ointment pot in a picnic fire.  Not big enough for a coffee pot or to be part of a still.

Hmmmm...

tb

Maybe the jar said highly flammable on it  ;)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.

The Hazel-Atlas "ointment pot" does not have signs of melting, if memory serves.  It is pretty small, I don't see anyone trying to boil water in it.

there are other larger bottles that were in the fire, but not this one.

Andrew

Thom Boughton

• T2

Ahhhh!!!  I thought all of our found glass vessels had shown these indications. 

tb
TIGHAR #3159R

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member

The Freckle cream jar would be good for collecting water from leaves and root recesses because it is small and has an opening good for scooping. (Not found in fire features)

The Medium botttles good for boiling (Found in fire features)

The Benedictine bottle good for storing the boiled water for drinking (Found with bones)

Possibly a water collecting kit carried in the sextant box with the inverting eye piece to start the fires for the castaway whoever it was. The sextant box may have had a shoulder strap, to make the operation easier, based on the little clips.

Would the medium bottles and freckle cream jar fit in the sextant box?

3971R

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:00:35 PM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only

Interested to follow that, Malcolm.  Can you keep us updated or post a link to where we can follow that maybe in the 'New Britain Hypothesis'? 

Jeff you could try this site http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/117588?a=379054

My more recent contacts have been by phone.

richie conroy

• T5

Interested to follow that, Malcolm.  Can you keep us updated or post a link to where we can follow that maybe in the 'New Britain Hypothesis'? 

Jeff you could try this site http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/117588?a=379054

My more recent contacts have been by phone.

Glad we cleared up your preferred hypothesis  ;)

Member# 416

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only

Glad we cleared up your preferred hypothesis  ;)

I'm still staying with the following -

1. Ditched and sank,

2. Ditched and sank off an island.

3. Landed on an island. 

4. Abducted by aliens.  ;D

I await with interest what those who are looking have to reveal from their efforts. I haven't had any word from my Martian contact who is combing (and I mean combing - the Martians have very odd shaped fingers) the Central Martian Ministry of Earthly Mysteries Archives. When he, she, they or it (can you believe a people that has four sexes - no wonder they don't have over population), reports back I'll let you all know.

richie conroy

• T5

The one thing that strikes me is this.

All the objects found on Niku that Tighar has found, Artifact wise there is only one item of each, Like all the lotion bottles ointment pot's.

If a person who used them item's, knew they had a long stay on the island and used them products, shouldn't there be a cache of dr berry ointment pots or hand cream lotion bottles.

as one of each item is not going to last month's is it on the island.

Member# 416

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000

Richie,

maybe, maybe not.  It could have been a one off gift or the only one of a few that got dropped.  Sure Malcolm will tell you that in a dig they sometimes only come up with one item but that dosn't mean that there wern't more.

You do have a point though :)

richie conroy

• T5

Malcolm

I was referring to your comment, My more recent contacts have been by phone.

i take that meaning with someone in east new Britain camp ?

Member# 416

john a delsing

• T2
  • Minnesota Johnny D.

RICHIE,
   I KNOW HOW YOU CAN SHUT MALCOLM UP !
AFTER 23 YEARS OF TRYING AND MANY EXPEDATIONS TO GARNER AND 1,000’S OF HOURS OF RESEARCH, SHOW MALCOLM JUST ONE ITEM OF PROOF THAT AMELIA WAS THERE. NOT A LOT OF ‘COULD HAVES, OR MIGHT HAVES’, JUST ONE ITEM OF PROOF.  AFTER 23 YEARS I WOULD THINK THAT MAYBE SOME PEOPLE ARE RETHINKING PREVIOUS IDEAS.  STILL, OTHERS WILL CONINUE ON FOR ANOTHER 23 YEARS BELIEVING SUCCESS IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER BECAUSE THEY JUST KNOW IN THEIR HEART THAT SHE HAD TO BE THERE.  I DON’T THINK IN MALCOLM’S WORLD THEY CAN JUST ACCEPT THE “KNOWING“ WITHOUT A LIITTLE BIT OF PROOF.
   THE CLAMS, THE SEXTEANT BOX, THE BONES, AND MANY, MANY OTHER THINGS ARE INTERESTING, VERY INTERESTING, BUT NOT REMOTELY CLOSE TO PROOF, AT LEAST NOT IN THE SCIENTIFIC WORLD.    IF AND WHEN TIGHAR CAN SAY: “SHE WAS HERE”, THE WHOLE WORLD WILL BELIEVE US BECAUSE WE WILL HAVE PROOF, NOT A WHOLE BUNCH OF HUNCHES.
The Earth is Full

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only

Malcolm

I was referring to your comment, My more recent contacts have been by phone.

i take that meaning with someone in east new Britain camp ?

Yep - with David Billings.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org