Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kudos on the Facebook strategy!  (Read 15689 times)

Nathan Lapointe

• T1
Kudos on the Facebook strategy!
« on: August 30, 2012, 10:33:47 AM »

Just wanted to say I am impressed with the Facebook strategy TIGHAR is using.  The question-and-answer strategy along with lots of updates is very engaging and is a great way to spread the word about TIGHAR's work and the Earhart search.  I was wondering if TIGHAR uses other social media, such as Twitter or Flickr?  Twitter could be a great way to link with sponsors, such as the Discovery Channel and FedEx twitter accounts and audiences.  I don't 'tweet' but I know from experience that it can be a great way to get the word out about TIGHAR's work and drive users to the website.  I do see a "Fake TIGHAR" account, but I can't find a 'real' one:

https://twitter.com/FakeTIGHAR

The fake TIGHAR account, while amusing, may be hurting TIGHAR ... just wondering if those 'in charge' know about it? 

Nathan.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Kudos on the Facebook strategy!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »

Just wanted to say I am impressed with the Facebook strategy TIGHAR is using.

Thanks.  We're trying to learn how to use these new tools.  The Q&A is getting a great response.

I was wondering if TIGHAR uses other social media, such as Twitter or Flickr?

We have a Twitter account but haven't figured out how best to use it.  Suggestions?

Twitter could be a great way to link with sponsors, such as the Discovery Channel and FedEx twitter accounts and audiences.  I don't 'tweet' but I know from experience that it can be a great way to get the word out about TIGHAR's work and drive users to the website.

Sounds like I need to get educated on the wonderful world of Twitter.

The fake TIGHAR account, while amusing, may be hurting TIGHAR ... just wondering if those 'in charge' know about it?

Thanks.  We were not aware of that. Looks like one person and a handful of followers.  Not sure how best to deal with them.  TIGHAR is a trademarked name but  they say up-front that they aren't really TIGHAR.  Are they hurting us?  Not that I know of.  It's just the standard TIGHAR-is-a-scam nonsense and they don't seem to get any traction. Probably best to not stoop.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »

This link will fill you in Ric on the benefits of using Twitter...

http://blog.tweetsmarter.com/twitter-business/what-are-the-benefits-of-twitter-for-business/
This must be the place

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »

Socail Media Marketing is a growth area, i've seen 2 jobs whilst on holiday in a semi rural area.

A few years ago I attended an educational seminar about future careers for young people coming out of mainstream education and one that was hotly touted once the economy picks up is that of private socail networking managment where people with too much money and not enough time employ savy people to do all their "facetweeting".

Here's an interesting quote about it all

"Through social networking the customer is a participant rather than a viewer."

Swap customer for interested party.

Nathan Lapointe

• T1
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 02:01:28 PM »

We have a Twitter account but haven't figured out how best to use it.  Suggestions?

Sounds like I need to get educated on the wonderful world of Twitter.

As you can probably imagine, there are thousands and thousands of pages online that have suggestions and best practises for Twitter.  This one seems pretty comprehensive:

http://mashable.com/guidebook/twitter/

The charity I work for uses Twitter mostly to increase our online visibility, name recognition and drive users to our website.  We don't use it to try and fundraise or gain more donors (which can be done successfully) but to increase our recognition and communicate with other charities and organizations we grant to or have a connection to.  How useful it would be to TIGHAR depends on your goals and strategies - are you trying to increase your online name/brand recognition?  Are you trying to drive people to your website?  Are you trying to educate people about the Earhart Project or other projects?  It would definitely be a way to 'connect' with your sponsors, such as Discovery Channel and FedEx.

Given what I've gleaned about your limited resources, you'll need to look at the cost (time more then money ) versus potential benefits.  If Facebook and YouTube (don't see a Flickr account) are working then you might not want to spend time on Twitter.  My main criticism of Twitter is that tweets tend to get buried very fast and you need to post a few times a day to stay 'active'.  That's time consuming, especially when one Facebook post in a day is usually enough to keep people interested.  I'm not an 'expert' in social media, I know enough that it can really boost an organization if done properly.  It also may help expand TIGHAR's reach to new demographics, maybe a younger generation whose only experience with aviation is being bored in a shiny new aircraft that can basically fly itself.

Also, I did find the Fake TIGHAR twitter stream amusing.  But that's probably just my sick, twisted sense of humour.  It doesn't look like they've done anything to justify Twitter banning them, especially not in the States where you have such strong free-speech laws and culture (us Canucks have a slightly different perspective).  Ignore them and they will probably go away.

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 05:18:32 PM »

Ric, Twitter works hand in hand with Facebook.  You can link them so that what is updated on one will post on the other.  I talked to Bruce about it and he said Pat was interested in doing that, but at the time you were engaged in the search and to wait till you got back and things were not as hectic.  I made a model of a Twitter page and how to link Facebook to Twitter.  Pat will have to do it from your end though.  I can leave my phone number with Marty if Pat wants to talk to me about it.  I am sure that she can do this herself with the link above and there are tutorials online on how to make it all work.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:25:35 PM by Bob Lanz »

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »

It is unfortunate that the fake exists,  I'm sure they don't have a clue as to the facts.  Jeff's 2010 tire and strut find proves it for me.

Thanks Rob

Monte Chalmers

• T2
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »

Hmmm!  This fake TIGHAR, from the way some of the comments read - smells like Randall Brink.  ;D
Monte TIGHAR #3597

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org