Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kissing Neptunes Baby  (Read 8552 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Kissing Neptunes Baby
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:43:59 AM »

In another thread Marty says

2. Sailors used lipstick, rouge, or other red materials to paint the belly of Neptune's baby.  Those undergoing initiation had to kiss the baby's belly as part of the hazing.  The red material was replenished after each kiss in order to make sure that the next pollywog got the full benefit of the kiss.

Done a bit of diging around and have only come up with Axle Grease and Mustard!

Anybody got any links/evidence that may link this with ss Norwich City or USS Bushel?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Kissing Neptunes Baby
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »

Done a bit of digging around and have only come up with Axle Grease and Mustard!

OK.  Similar idea.

Anybody got any links/evidence that may link this with ss Norwich City or USS Bushnell?

Not me.  My source was an old salt who attended the Symposium.  He indicated that I would be a candidate to play Neptune's Baby if I was ever so careless as to let a ship carry me across the equator.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Re: Kissing Neptunes Baby
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:59:54 AM »

Well your photo shows you look 'contented'
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org