Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greg Board  (Read 8933 times)

Brad Beeching

• T3
Greg Board
« on: April 22, 2012, 04:39:03 PM »

Is the Greg Board involved with Earhart at Lae the same Greg Board who flew Buffalo fighters with the RAF in the defense of the Malay Penninsula in December of 1941? If so, the man had led a storied life for sure!

Brad

ps.
I have read a few books that mention Greg Board; "Everything but the Flak", "Ragged, Rugged Warriors" by Martin Caidin. He is also mentioned in several histories of the B-17s in the Pacific. Is this the same guy?
Brad

#4327R

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:49:14 PM by Brad Beeching »

pilotart

• T3
Re: Greg Board
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:17:08 PM »

Love this quote from your first link:  "... had his Buffalo thrown into a spin from which he couldn't recover. He jumped out, but found himself tied to the falling aircraft by his oxygen tube. So he got back into the spinning plane! "Somehow it managed to come out of the spin and I was able to pull it back to an even keel and return to base."
Art Johnson

Brad Beeching

• T3
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:05:49 AM »

It is truly amazing what some folks had the gonads to do back then! If it were me, Im sure the family would have received a telegram... "We regret to inform you"....

In reading "Ragged, Rugged Warriors", Martin Caidin wrote that Boards Buffalo was shot to ribbons, caught fire and went down. Board was able to get out before it crashed. What kind of courage that was! We would all do to have a little of that these days!

Brad
Brad

#4327R

Brad Beeching

• T3
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:56:40 PM »

Actually, simular instances happened all through the war. I've read about situations where the pilot stood on the wing, reached back into the cockpit and removed oxygen hoses, communication plugs, family pictures. I was privilaged to help set up Col. Robert Morgan at a couple of gunshows in the early 90's in Dallas, and he told me stories of what he saw in the sky over Europe. For instance, he told me about seeing aircrew holding on to a B-17 waist gun while he buckled on his chute with one hand. Charlie Bond explained to me once what it was like getting shot down in a burning P-40 over China. Years ago I had the privilege of meeting George Gay at an airshow and he spoke of some of the other pilots in Torpedo 8 at Midway. John Waldron standing up in the cockpit as the plane hit the water. Yeah, I'd say amazing things happened all the time during that war. What did they say about the Marines on Iwo Jima? "Uncommon valor was a common virtue" Thank God for men such as these...

Brad.
Brad

#4327R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org