Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos of Amelia Earhart  (Read 23577 times)

Gary LaPook

• T5
Re: Photos of Amelia Earhart
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 10:44:42 PM »

According to this, Honolulu was the final destination:

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/MapsandPhotos/maps/worldflight.html

According to that map, and as we know from other sources, the final destination was Oakland.

This timeline shows the actual and planned distances of the legs of the journey.  It has the Howland to Honolulu leg at 1900 miles--close enough to 1953, I'd say.
Using the location of Luke field for Honolulu, 21° 22' N, 157° 58' W and the Williams coordinates for Howland, 00° 49' N, 176° 43' W and doing the trig for the calculation of great circle distance, the answer comes out to be 1898 SM.

gl
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:41:39 AM by Gary LaPook »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »

http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/373993

sextant in corner by hinge says 3339 - 1416 date 1942

so we can be sure the box on gardner was not for a brandis sextant as the number 3500 hadnt been reached by 1942

or am i assuming thats how it wud work ?
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 02:02:18 PM »

sextant in corner by hinge says 3339 - 1416 date 1942

The label pretty clearly says "1415," not "1416."

It is already in our table of sextant numbers.

so we can be sure the box on gardner was not for a brandis sextant as the number 3500 hadnt been reached by 1942

or am i assuming that's how it would work ?

If you study the table and the commentary that goes with it, you should be able to answer your own question.

The short version is "no."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jeff Palshook

• T2
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 11:21:12 AM »

Richie,

In your original posting to this thread, you included the photo below of Earhart posing in the Electra's cabin, fiddling with the radio receiver.  Did you get this photo off the internet?  If so, do you have the website address where you got it?  Was there any additional information that went with the photo, such as whatever caption the Baltimore Sun included when it published the photo?  I'm mostly interested in knowing the date of the edition of the Baltimore Sun this photo was published in.

Jeff P.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 12:00:14 PM »

Richie,

In your original posting to this thread, you included the photo below of Earhart posing in the Electra's cabin, fiddling with the radio receiver.  Did you get this photo off the internet?  If so, do you have the website address where you got it?  Was there any additional information that went with the photo, such as whatever caption the Baltimore Sun included when it published the photo?  I'm mostly interested in knowing the date of the edition of the Baltimore Sun this photo was published in.

Jeff P.

the picture is off ebay sum time last year

but this is the caption on back of photo

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Palshook

• T2
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »

Thanks, Richie.  That helps me quite a bit.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org