Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28   Go Down

Author Topic: After the Landing  (Read 388446 times)

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
Re: After the Landing
« Reply #390 on: August 13, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »

Ditto Ric! 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Brad Beeching

• T3
« Reply #391 on: August 13, 2013, 04:46:18 PM »

Well, Ian... ahhhh... that certainly is an interesting.... ummm.....ahhh... post. As Ric pointed out, and as I said when I originally threw this thread up in the wind, I was hoping that speculation as to what may have happened after the landing would generate some good old fashioned skull sweat. Maybe take folks down avenues they may not have thought of before in trying to identify areas where our intrepid duo may have camped, wandered or searched. Your ahhh.... story is certainly entertaining but do you really think what you posted could have happened? If I may point out a couple of things. Have you ever worked around any machinery designed and built in the last century? Usually, machinery (Cars, toasters, pogo-sticks, Airplanes) tended to be more robust in construction than things you see today. I believe the current theory is that they made a good landing on the reef. I tend to think that they bent the plane somewhat, but I have nothing to prove that , just a gut instinct. If they were injured, I don't believe they could have salvaged the bird to the extent you postulate. So what would they have done Ian? it's 110 f. they are banged up, most probably in shock, the plane is banged up and the radio may work, but you cant even be sure it is doing anything. As for marks in the sand.... Ric told me there is NO sand on Niku, what you see is coral rubble... still wanna run your toezies thru the sand? You have a good imagination, study the information you find here, then just like a detective, put two and two together, look over your post and then revise what you wrote to reflect what you have learned from your study. This was actually meant to be a somewhat serious discussion. Oh, and Ian..... Welcome to the forum

Brad
Brad

#4327R

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #392 on: August 13, 2013, 05:56:15 PM »

So, Ian, you're imagining this woman- who flew the plane and shunned female norms- landed on Niku and proceeded to fan herself and gripe about the heat while sitting in the shade of a coconut tree using freckle cream watching her man do the hunting and gathering? Really? Perhaps she ate bon-bons while loosening her corset and adjusting her skirts. My goodness- why did she even leave the kitchen?

And then she withered away and died because her man didn't bring her any more food... how, ummm, interesting.

I never thought of putting Amelia into a Victorian romance novel. For me, I'll leave her where she is- a forward-thinking woman who lived her dreams.

LTM~ Who doesn't see Amelia in Gone with the Wind,
Stacy

Ric warned him...  ;D

What's the old saw?  Hell hath no fury... and no, whatever all she was, AE was no pushover or wall flower.

Welcome aboard, Stacy, glad to see you posting.

Thank you, Jeff, for the warm welcome :) I do enjoy being part of TIGHAR.

I find Ian's post quite humorous. Where to start? The ham sandwich? Crying about sand in  her shoes? Or perhaps nagging about the distress signal... So much to choose from... And it reads like a romance novel. I was expecting the "she fell passionately into his arms" scene, but alas it wasn't there. Maybe next time :)

And Jeff, I always find your posts quite informative and relevant- thank you for everything you do!

LTM~ Who's wondering where the sand came from,
Stacy

TIGHAR #4284R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #393 on: August 13, 2013, 06:36:21 PM »

To be clear, there's plenty of sand on Niku but not on the beach behind the Bevington Object location.  That's all coral rubble.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #394 on: August 13, 2013, 08:04:48 PM »

... So much to choose from... And it reads like a romance novel. I was expecting the "she fell passionately into his arms" scene, but alas it wasn't there. Maybe next time :)

Stacy, if your really want to go down that road, there's always I was Amelia Earhart. And no, I didn't read it, I just ... know these things ... *cough*

LTM, who tries to keep straight what he doesn't know,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #395 on: August 13, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »

... So much to choose from... And it reads like a romance novel. I was expecting the "she fell passionately into his arms" scene, but alas it wasn't there. Maybe next time :)

Stacy, if your really want to go down that road, there's always I was Amelia Earhart. And no, I didn't read it, I just ... know these things ... *cough*

LTM, who tries to keep straight what he doesn't know,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER

That is hilarious :) I'll do that. Surely, there can be a few of us running around. I'd just have to be careful not to come across the *other* Amelia Earhart... It might create some weird time vortex thing and who know where we would all end up :)

LTM~ Who's trying not to get sucked into the 5th dimension,
Stacy
TIGHAR #4284R

Brano Lacika

• T1
« Reply #396 on: August 14, 2013, 03:49:00 AM »

So, Ian, you're imagining this woman- who flew the plane and shunned female norms- landed on Niku and proceeded to fan herself and gripe about the heat while sitting in the shade of a coconut tree using freckle cream watching her man do the hunting and gathering? Really? Perhaps she ate bon-bons while loosening her corset and adjusting her skirts. My goodness- why did she even leave the kitchen?

And then she withered away and died because her man didn't bring her any more food... how, ummm, interesting.

I never thought of putting Amelia into a Victorian romance novel. For me, I'll leave her where she is- a forward-thinking woman who lived her dreams.

Stacy

Ric warned him...  ;D

What's the old saw?  Hell hath no fury... and no, whatever all she was, AE was no pushover or wall flower.

Welcome aboard, Stacy, glad to see you posting.

I find Ian's post quite humorous. Where to start? The ham sandwich? Crying about sand in  her shoes? Or perhaps nagging about the distress signal... So much to choose from... And it reads like a romance novel. I was expecting the "she fell passionately into his arms" scene, but alas it wasn't there. Maybe next time :)

And Jeff, I always find your posts quite informative and relevant- thank you for everything you do!

Stacy

Humorous? Are you sure? Hm... I still have the problem with English, but if I uderstood it well, that post is a quite offensive towards Amelia. Perhaps it´s only a foreign language misunderstanding, but...

Victor Russell

• T1
« Reply #397 on: August 14, 2013, 07:49:51 AM »

To the post on Fred passing notes on a bamboo pole to AE as their communication method, while they were flying, that is also my understanding.

I am very tempted to make newcomers pass an entrance exam before we allow them to post on the Forum.

Everybody is welcome to their personal opinions, but not to their personal "facts."

The bamboo pole was used on the first attempt to fly around the world, when there were four souls on board: Earhart, Mantz, Mnning, and Noonan.

On the second world attempt, Fred could sit next to AE whenever he wished.  So far as I know, we have no information on how he may have split his time between the workstation and the cockpit, or whether he used the bamboo pole.  He had options.

Marty,

As a relative newcomer who has nevertheless read as much as possible on the forums, Ameliapedia, bulletin archives, etc., I'm curious what syllabus you'd recommend for this hypothetical entrance exam. Short of "read everything on the site", is there a more systematic approach?

As for the bamboo pole question that seems to have provoked this recent consternation, can you point us to where we'd find the relevant info that you think Manjeet should have been aware of? The only entry I can find in the Ameliapedia (http://tighar.org/wiki/Air_Navigation:_State_of_the_Art_in_1937) seems to support his assertion and does not make any distinction between the first and second around-the-world attempts. I'm not saying what you write isn't true, but I can't find any source for that info in the forum archives or the Ameliapedia and you do not provide any citation in your message.

Best,
Victor

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #398 on: August 14, 2013, 08:23:50 AM »

On this thread Gary Lapook shows that FN was moving between the cockpit and the back during the dakar leg of the flight

http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,383.msg5083.html#msg5083

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #399 on: August 14, 2013, 08:28:37 AM »

I'm curious what syllabus you'd recommend for this hypothetical entrance exam. Short of "read everything on the site", is there a more systematic approach?

Hi Victor, one great resource is the book by none other than TIGHAR's executive director Ric Gillespie - "Finding Amelia: The True Story of the Earhart Disappearance" by Ric Gillespie, Naval Institute Press, 2009.  A great read!  The book is available in all bookstores in in TIGHAR's store.  Amazon has a Kindle edition, but it doesn't come with the DVD of source material provided in the paper copy. 

Best regards, John
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #400 on: August 14, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »

On this thread Gary Lapook shows that FN was moving between the cockpit and the back during the dakar leg of the flight

http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,383.msg5083.html#msg5083

It's simpler than that.  In "Last Flight" Earhart makes frequent references to Fred being with her in the cockpit. For example, she writes about a bag of peanuts they got in Dakar.  "Subsequently as we munched them Fred and I might as well have been in the bleachers of a ball-game back home, instead of in the cockpit of a plane spanning remote deserts."

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #401 on: August 14, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »

Stacy

Stacy

Humorous? Are you sure? Hm... I still have the problem with English, but if I uderstood it well, that post is a quite offensive towards Amelia. Perhaps it´s only a foreign language misunderstanding, but...

Can't speak for Stacy, but I took that to mean despite any affront she has a great sense of humor.  Maybe 'Ian' does too - we simply don't know him too well... so far as we can tell for certain.  Perhaps we'll hear more.

Thank you, Jeff! Once again your answer is perfect! :)
TIGHAR #4284R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #402 on: August 14, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »

I'm not saying what you write isn't true, but I can't find any source for that info in the forum archives or the Ameliapedia and you do not provide any citation in your message.

My apologies.

I've been reading the Forum since 2000.

Some day I will make an entry for "bamboo pole" in the Ameliapedia.

For now, here is a Google search that turns up some of the material on the website.  If you substitute "navigator's station" for "bamboo pole," that may bring up some other hits.

Here is an outline of articles in the Ameliapedia that should give a newcomer a good orientation.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

David Deusenberry

• T1
« Reply #403 on: August 14, 2013, 10:27:10 AM »

The bamboo pole was my mistake. I seemed to have confused the different flights.  Sorry
The only point I was trying to make was that FN might not have been gravely injured in the landing and the “Yelling” that was heard by Betty could have been him yelling from his station in the rear of the Electra as he went over maps and charts trying to pin point their location and relay the information to AE. With the engines running to power the radio it would have been very noisy inside. I’m sure from what Betty heard he was injured but to what extent remains unknown.

I’m also wondering if a forensic analysis on the fish and bird bones has been performed to try to match marks left on them that could be matched to one of the improvised cutting tools found. I’m not sure if that information would be useful other than proving the castaway (s) used the item  for that purpose

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #404 on: August 14, 2013, 10:39:52 AM »

I’m also wondering if a forensic analysis on the fish and bird bones has been performed to try to match marks left on them that could be matched to one of the improvised cutting tools found. I’m not sure if that information would be useful other than proving the castaway (s) used the item  for that purpose

No, we haven't done that but it I doubt that anything conclusive would come of it.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org