Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Press Conference at State Department, 20 March 2012  (Read 97160 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Press Conference at State Department, 20 March 2012
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2012, 06:41:33 AM »

don't get hung up about the Norwich City Wreck.  Nessie is to the North of the wreck and the prevailing tides flow from North to south so wreckage from the ship would not be moved towards Nessie.

The movement of air and water over and around an island is complex.

See, for example, the phenomenon of "longshore drift" in the article on the boat channel.

Howard Alldred (RIP) theorized that all movable materials would tend to go ashore (as so much trash does) or else move into a "sand river" (my memory of his term--I don't think it's a technical oceanographic term) on the lee side of the island where the two longshore currents would meet and counteract each other. 

So far as I know, TIGHAR has not tested this idea about a kind of "drainage system" for underwater debris.  If it exists, much of the airframe material may well have been mixed with the remnants of the Norwich City.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2012, 11:28:55 AM »

Thanks Pilotart for sharing the link to the Flying Mag article.  That may be one of the worst written articles I have read in a while.  States "no evidence"...then contridicts himself in the very next paragraph.  Bottom line is...there is enough evidence to warrant the search.  End of story!   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2012, 12:22:02 PM »

Agreed Dan! well said
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Colin Philip Cobb

• T1
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2012, 06:17:01 PM »

This statement is on the Tighar Site:

"Following the event at the State Department, Kiribati Secretary Lambourne and TIGHAR’s Ric Gillespie signed an Antiquities Management Agreement that grants TIGHAR an exclusive license and right to search for, study, recover and preserve objects, including plane parts or wreckage, relating to or which tend to suggest the presence of Amelia Earhart and/or Fred Noonan within the territorial boundaries of the Republic of Kiribati."

What does this mean for other future expeditions? Like Waitt or Nauticos or any other future search team that carries out deep ocean searches around Howland island which falls within the boundaries of Kiribati. 
Im all for the discovery of Earharts electra but on the grounds of fair competition and discovery surely this could not block any further search outside of Nikumororo by other search parties.
can anyone shed light on this?

Colin Cobb
Titanic's Dock and Pump-House
Titanic Walking Tours

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »

i think they base the agreements on Kirbati being a protected enviroment,

an i dont think they just deal in given permission to search 1 island so to speak

also waitt have searched the area's were they wanted, so dont see the problem  :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »

... an exclusive license and right to search for, study, recover and preserve objects, including plane parts or wreckage, relating to or which tend to suggest the presence of Amelia Earhart and/or Fred Noonan within the territorial boundaries of the Republic of Kiribati."

What does this mean for other future expeditions? Like Waitt or Nauticos or any other future search team that carries out deep ocean searches around Howland island which falls within the boundaries of Kiribati. 

Howland and Baker are in the same island chain as Kiribati, but are unincorporated territories of the United States and therefore are not "within the territorial boundaries of the Republic of Kiribati."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Colin Philip Cobb

• T1
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »

Thanks, that clears that one up.

Colin Cobb
Titanic's Dock and Pump-House
Titanic Walking Tours

Gary LaPook

• T5

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »

Blimey! Just got back from the middle of nowhere to find that everything has kicked off. Well done guys!!!!!!
You now have the tools to complete the task, good work. You know what to look for and, where it is. Let's hope it's an Electra when you find it. There's a plethora of scrap metal etc... down there, just be careful when you bring it up, it's got to take pride of place in American institutions hopefully.
Tons of work to finish off before retirement due to, they won't let me say, but will get back to the Rover imaging soon.
This must be the place

pilotart

• T3
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2012, 10:40:58 PM »

Just saw a good account on the AOPA's website:

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2012/120320expedition_seeks_to_recover_earharts_electra.html?WT.mc_id=120323epilot&WT.mc_sect=gan

Photos of Rick giving an address and other TIGHAR's as well as the photo in question 'nessie?'
Art Johnson

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:47:42 PM by pilotart »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2012, 03:43:53 AM »

The Nessie photo that was enhanced is the high resolution one, not the one the public has access to. The high resolution version is strictly copyrighted so, in compliance with the copyright it can't be bandied about willy-nilly.
Full marks to Ric and co though for being able to persuade everyone to muck in based on that photo, I wouldn't have put money on them being able to do it :)
Still, with the clues from the groundwork on the island, the Nessie photo, the ROV footage and the Gilbertese islanders eye witness accounts of airplane wreckage it does look very likely that there is aircraft wreckage at this location. What plane and, who flew it there remains a mystery but, not for much longer methinks.
This must be the place

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2012, 07:09:28 AM »

The Nessie photo that was enhanced is the high resolution one, not the one the public has access to. The high resolution version is strictly copyrighted so...

By whom if I may ask?

Erik

• T3
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2012, 07:43:16 AM »

I tried my best to keep up with Richies' threads but time got the best of me. I commend him on his eye for detail, diligence and determination. This is how things get done.

Dave,

I created a montage out of the image found by Richie that created a all the fuss.  I feel the black squigly thing may be oleo strut fluid finally bursting out after all these years.

Here's a link to the orignal thread.  Click HERE , where a very large version of the picuture can be downloaded. 

Here's a small thumbnail for the curiosity seekers....

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »

The Nessie photo that was enhanced is the high resolution one, not the one the public has access to. The high resolution version is strictly copyrighted so...

By whom if I may ask?

It's the University of Oxford Tim so, understandably it's wise to stay within the copyright boundaries. It's obviously done the trick though being the vehicle which brought in the State Department?
This must be the place

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2012, 10:22:58 AM »

It's the University of Oxford Tim so, understandably it's wise to stay within the copyright boundaries. It's obviously done the trick though being the vehicle which brought in the State Department?

I believe that the picture was taken by Eric Bevington while he was serving in the British Foreign Service.  It may well still be protected under British and/or international copyright law.  Better safe than sorry.  :-\
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org