Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Earhart Search 75  (Read 84876 times)

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
Re: Earhart Search 75
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »

The re-analysis was started in 2010 before our last trip out there.  Jeff Glickman noticed that there was something in the photo that we had not noticed before - mostly because we had been looking at a cropped version - so nobody saw it.

I don't know, but I have to assume that the folks at the State Dept who were tasked with reviewing this photo came to the same conclusion as Jeff Glickman's analysis, namely that the object in the photo was consistent with an Electra landing gear.  I don't have any details about how this was accomplished, but it was enough to convince folks at the State Dept, and Dr. Ballard that there was enough in this evidence to support our plan for a deep water search off Niku.

No doubt, more info will be coming from Ric about how all this came together, so stay tuned.  I'm sure there will be huge discussion at the symposium, which promises to be an incredible event.

see you there.

amck

Lisa Anne Hill

• T1
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 07:16:09 PM »

Is there any way I could convince one of you pilots out there to give me a ride to the symposium?? Oh yeah, I live in Hawaii - but no worries, I'll buy gas!  ;D (I'm sure that bill would eclipse even a first-class ticket to Virginia!)

LTM,
Lisa

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 09:22:08 PM »

When Ric & CO board the ship in Hawaii---you can find out first hand whats going on!
Yep round trip from HNL to DCA would be steep.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Lisa Anne Hill

• T1
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »

Tom -
I'm seriously considering disguising myself as a duffel bag and waiting on the pier for them to load the UH reserach vessel... 8)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 10:52:34 PM »

Thats a plan!!!! WE want video!

Paul John Patten

• T1
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »

I would love to attend the symposium but please just promise me that Hillary won't be there.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 06:36:46 PM »

I would love to attend the symposium but please just promise me that Hillary won't be there.

Politics aside, which, correct me if I'm wrong, really have no bearing on the topic at hand, we need to remember she's on our side in this adventure. 

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 08:35:37 AM »

For the record:
TIGHAR is, by law and by nature, apolitical.  We're an international organization.  No place is "overseas" to TIGHAR and you'll never see us refer to "the enemy."  I am aware of no political agenda in the State Department's endorsement of our efforts to solve the Earhart riddle.
In the weeks prior to the March 20 event, I spent a great deal of time in Washington with the State Department's Bureau of East Asia & Pacific Islands Affairs. For a while I was jokingly referred to as the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Earhart Affairs.  It was an incredible opportunity to see a little bit of the internal workings at State and - in a time when government-bashing is popular regardless of party affiliation - I can tell you first hand that the professionals at State are bright, savvy, dedicated and incredibly hard-working. They remind me of our TIGHAR teams. ;D

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 09:49:24 AM »

Marty was gracious enough to lead me back to the home page of Niku VII for an answer to a question on another thread. Jeff is right----look at the assets going to Niku. Look at the proposed search plan. Its almost like the heyday of the space race to the moon. The first probes sent to really photograph the moons surface. Like looking at the reef and the ocean bottom at Niku.
Anyone remember where you were on July 20, 1969? I do. I bet I know where alot of us will be when the documentry of this expeditiion airs-----on the edge of my seat, popcorn an a MTN DEW.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »

Now I should stop - Ric's still got to get aboard the KoK in July and I don't want a swollen head to capsize her...  ;)

This is where I look down, scuff my foot in the dirt and say, "Aw shucks fellas, I'm just doing my job."

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 01:08:39 PM »

I (WE) are proud of you Ric! And proud to be associated with TIGHAR.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2012, 02:23:06 PM »

Here here
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2012, 03:20:01 AM »

Now I should stop - Ric's still got to get aboard the KoK in July and I don't want a swollen head to capsize her...  ;)

This is where I look down, scuff my foot in the dirt and say, "Aw shucks fellas, I'm just doing my job."

Oh yes, YOU DO. And it's a GREAT job! Thank you, Ric!
Oskar

LWhite

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »

I can't find a thread anywhere re: my question so I'll pop it here - sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

Recently seeing Dr. Ballard on TV regarding the Titanic, the subjects of ownership and protection of any wreck located would seem to be a concern.  Is anything being done to ensure the protection of the wreck when found?  I would be physically ill to see AE's hairpins show up on Ebay.  I don't know the sea rules and such so I'm afraid I'm no help.  If not started, now would certainly seem to be the time to get whatever pre-work might be needed.
Thoughts?

thanks
Leon

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 01:44:34 PM »

Is anything being done to ensure the protection of the wreck when found?

Yes.  The Republic of Kiribati asserts ownership of all properties within their national borders.  Immediately following the State Department event on March 20, TIGHAR and the Republic of Kiribati signed an Antiquities Management Agreement that makes TIGHAR the exclusive agent for searching, recovering, and conserving all artifacts related to Amelia Earhart within the borders of Kiribati.  The high level of U.S. Government interest evident on March 20 insures that if wreckage of the plane is discovered during TIGHAR's July expedition, it will be kept under close surveillance until a recovery expedition can be mounted.  It is our hope and intention that any artifacts and/or wreckage confirmed to be related to Earhart, Noonan or the Electra ultimately be exhibited at the Smithsonian National Air 7 Space Museum.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org