Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Deserted Island, Castaways, Survival  (Read 286859 times)

Gary LaPook

• T5
Re: Deserted Island, Castaways, Survival
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »

Heath
Yes, and with respect to the NC life boat.  The Luke Inventory showed at least one, maybe two (I'll have to look again) tail wheel assemblys which could have been used to fasten somehow to the life boat to make it easier to move to water. on a gerry-rigged cradle of sorts on wheels.
The Luke Field Inventory lists one tail wheel and it is also seen in the photo at Darwin.

gl
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:58:14 PM by Gary LaPook »

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2012, 07:56:54 PM »

With respect to tying down the plane, the Luke Inventory listed items like tie down rope, tie down rods, tie down arrows (anchors?).
Yah, try pounding those down into coral.

gl

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2012, 08:03:53 PM »

I don't remember seeing anything about whether the life boat was there when Gallagher and the Gilbert natives arrived there?
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2012, 08:12:33 PM »

I think that the idea would be to wedge the tie down arrows into a crack in the coral and use the hammer to pound it in as solidly as possible.
No Worries Mates

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2012, 09:26:51 PM »

Harry,

If it were me, on day two, if there was even a remote possibility of losing the plane due to surf and storm, I would have moved anything and everything I could from the plane to shore. Perhaps there would be wire to rig together a raft.

Another mission would be to gather combustible materials, in a giant pile, waiting for the first opportunity to light a massive fire at the fire sight of a passing ship.

Lastly, as I understand it, there were lifeboats on shore from the Norwich City on the island. Although some have said that it would be an impossible task and you would die of exhaustion in the attempt to move them, I probably would have taken my chances and made the attempt over the next days and weeks. I would rather die trying then sitting on an island waiting to die. Perhaps with a bit of digging and using logs are rollers you could manage to get one of these lifeboats to the shore. Were these shore boats all accounted for months after they went missing?

think about it seriously, u have just crash landed or perfect landed on gardner island, as its the first bit of land u have seen since missing howland u wud have to be pritty messed up to find or make a raft to attempt to sail away, to nearest atoll when u have so much opportunity, on the island u have just landed on, which u no nothing about ?

for instance

1. U see a island called Gardner, it's the first land u have seen or been able to land on in over 300 miles
of being airbourne

2. why would u make a raft - boat etc, an set sail to nearest place when u couldnt find any land by plane ? common sence tell's me they DID, an would of anyway stayed on gardner

they had a compact mirror which they could of used to start a fire with reflection off sun on to wood

there was bird's an fish availible in lagoon an reef edge

they had a toilet hopper in electra did that carry fresh water or did it have some kind of filter in it ?

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2012, 09:30:04 PM »

that they cud av used to recycle water etc
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »

Richie
The postulated conditions for considering leaving the Island were:
     1. After several days and no sign of "rescuers" and 2. the plane washing off the reef after about 5 days, they realized they would either die there or make some attempt to leave the island by raft, or life boat, etc.

As Heath pointed out, and I agree with him, tis better to die trying to survive than to die just dying.

Let's see, with a steady 10 mph wind you can sail about 200 miles a day, 5 days to Fiji, 3 days to Gilberts, 4 days to the Marshalls.  20 mph and ya can cut those times in half.  FN was an expert sailor, been at sea all his life.
No Worries Mates

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »

Richie
The postulated conditions for considering leaving the Island were:
     1. After several days and no sign of "rescuers" and 2. the plane washing off the reef after about 5 days, they realized they would either die there or make some attempt to leave the island by raft, or life boat, etc.

As Heath pointed out, and I agree with him, tis better to die trying to survive than to die just dying.

Let's see, with a steady 10 mph wind you can sail about 200 miles a day, 5 days to Fiji, 3 days to Gilberts, 4 days to the Marshalls.  20 mph and ya can cut those times in half.  FN was an expert sailor, been at sea all his life.
Have you done much sailing, Harry?

gl

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2012, 12:00:18 AM »

I think that the idea would be to wedge the tie down arrows into a crack in the coral and use the hammer to pound it in as solidly as possible.
I don't know if you have ever flown to the Out Islands in the Bahamas, I have, lots. If you do, then you might attempt to drive a stake into the coral or, you might, like everybody else does, find some concrete blocks to connect to your tie down ropes since you can't drive the stakes into the coral.

gl

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2012, 12:04:53 AM »

Heath
Yes, and with respect to the NC life boat.  The Luke Inventory showed at least one, maybe two (I'll have to look again) tail wheel assemblys which could have been used to fasten somehow to the life boat to make it easier to move to water. on a gerry-rigged cradle of sorts on wheels.
You realize that a lifeboat on a steamer weighs several tons. It is not the same as the little wooden rowboat that you rowed around Lake Ogishcomuncie when you were at summer camp as a kid.

gl

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2012, 09:42:56 AM »

No, I am not a sailor.
I have several that have sailed around the world, one of whom is now in New Zealand and sails regularly to a small island in the Hijis.  He has adopted the island as a project in helping the natives and they have adopted him and his wife.

Is there something wrong with my arithmetic?
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2012, 10:12:44 AM »

Gary
What part of "wedge into a crack" do you not understand?  I don't think there were many concrete blocks on Gardner

Never went to summer camp  when I was a kid, we wuz too poor.
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2012, 11:01:28 AM »

It would be nice to have some info about the height of high tides relative to low tides and some idea of how far onto the beach  they reach relative to where the life boats (plural) might have been left.  Anyone know where such info might be found?
No Worries Mates

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2012, 11:27:03 AM »

Harry, check out TIGHAR's "Earhart Project Research Paper, August 15 2008, Post-Loss Signal Statistics with Tide Information" for a complete computer estimation of the tidal information for the dates in question.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2012, 11:55:02 AM »

Woody
Thanks for that, found it, unfortunately the font type, size and colors are such that these old tired eyes of mine are not able to decipher the table.
No Worries Mates

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org