Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Deserted Island, Castaways, Survival  (Read 286870 times)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
Deserted Island, Castaways, Survival
« on: February 15, 2012, 02:40:27 PM »

Let;s assune that they did land on Gardner, they did send out radio messages for 5/6 days, they did expect rescue by the Itasca folks within 2/3 days, etc and see where the athread goes.

If you've seen the movie "Castaway" with Tom Hanks then ya got some idea of what a castaway might do.  If ya haven't seen it, try to get it, it's a goos one.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Heath Smith

• T4
Re: Deserted Island, Castaways, Survival
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »

If I had to guess, fresh water would be the first priority as you will not survive long without it, probably only 4-5 days. You can live without food for well over a month without a problem. There was also plenty to eat there, especially the birds and crabs so food had to be lower on the priority list.

Perhaps they walked the beach to see if they could spot coconut trees as their first order of business. The next would be setting up something to collect rain water with.

I thought I had read somewhere that it might have been possible to dig a well but that seems highly unlikely looking at all the coral rubble and no shovel. It also does not seem likely that there would be a fresh water table there.

Next I would go for building a fire and then make some kind of hammock or elevated platform to escape the crabs.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »

would any water collected on norwich city over the years be safe to drink ?

an could it be drinking that water that may have made them uncapable of running out to get pilots attention on fly over on 9th july 

:)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 04:00:39 PM »

Castaway for sure, but no 'Wilson". No fresh water, other than rain water, so that would limit things considerably. What we would have done isnt the question because we dont think like AE. What matters is what SHE did, or didnt do. I would assume that Fred was pretty well incapacitated, so that would leave just Amelia. I feel that she was definately NOT prepared for this.
More like Robinson Crusoe, but Castaway was good.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 04:04:44 PM »

Richie---that is a hard question to answer, not having lived in 1937. I dont know what they did for water treatment. BUT---considering the temperature, and humidity, I would think that some sort of bacteria would have grown in the containers, making the water useless. If they drank it, it might be a pretty good reason they didnt run out & wave at Lambrembt. Maybe they were so sick they couldnt. Maybe they werent there. Maybe they were already dead by then.
Tom

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 04:06:07 PM »

Any drinking water on board the Electra when leaving Lae?
No Worries Mates

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »

i would think so, but after flying all nite, i would say that quanity was drastically reduced. She planned on making it to Howland and get a good meal and rest before heading on to Hawaii, so I'm fairly certain they didnt have many provisions.

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »

Anyone know whether there were any rain squalls in the area during the first few days?
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 04:23:44 PM »

Assuming they landed sometine near noon on Friday 7/2/37 at or near low-tide and the temp in the 90's, where might shelter from the sun be on their list.  Aside from the plane that is?
No Worries Mates

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »

if they headed to gardner on LOP cud they have seen the pond/lake at other end of island, before landing on reef then headed down seven site if that had water in any sediment would have settled on bottom so maybe they got water from that ?

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 04:31:59 PM »

Assuming they landed sometine near noon on Friday 7/2/37 at or near low-tide and the temp in the 90's, where might shelter from the sun be on their list.  Aside from the plane that is?

were would u find to get out of sun's heat ? me personally would go to opposite side of norwich city to which the sun was shining... in the shade an breeze  :)

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »

on the reef? lets see---they could lay in the water----refreshingly warm---oops little things like black tip sharks might have changed their minds. Hiking to the 7 site---a LONG way hiking, even alon the beach, and the pond fill up with lagoon water, with is salt water from the ocean. Now if they had their water machine, they could have made it a considerable time. Would have had to learn to fish---HUM---Hey Ric----see any shimp or lobster while you were there?
Tom

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 05:10:58 PM »

the pond/pool am on about only fill's up with rain water ?

i have attached pic of what am on about

Member# 416

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »

Re Shelter
Didn't the NC survivors have a "camp" for 5 days or so in the Buka trees near the NC.  Would there have been a path from the beach into that camp that might have attracted AE/FN's attention?  As a source of shelter?

I see m to recall reading something about a "cistern" with water associated with the "camp".  I'll look further for a reference to that possibility.
No Worries Mates

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 04:31:48 AM »

We saw lobster, or at least some carapace of lobster that has already been eaten or died of other causes, particularly right near the exit of Baureke passage - the one to the south of the Village.  Laxton says this in his description of his visit "Crayfish too, abound on the right tides, caught easily by hand in knee-deep water by torchlight.", so if you have a torch, you can catch them on the reef.  If not it gets a lot harder.  You have to go into the water off the edge of the reef, preferably at night, and dive down to get them.  Not exactly something I can imagine AE doing, but who knows.

The pond is a salt water pond, been there, tasted it.  But that doesn't mean that the Castaway didn't think it might be fresh and head down that way to check it out.  Might help explain how they ended up at the 7 site.

There were some provisions left behind by the NC survivors, and I think some Casks of water were on the list.  The corks on chains that were found by Gallager could have come from such casks.  See the Ameliapedia http://tighar.org/wiki/Corks

If you haven't spent time on the Ameliapedia, you should as it is full of great info.

Andrew

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:44:49 AM by Andrew M McKenna »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org