Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Deserted Island, Castaways, Survival  (Read 285289 times)

Brad Beeching

• T3
Re: Deserted Island, Castaways, Survival
« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »

If I may throw my two cents to the winds... Ok lets for the sake of argument, Captain Noonan isn't injured and the reports of post loss radio calls didnt say he was injured (and by the way, she was reportedly injured as well), then maybe he did inflate a raft or cut down a tree... with little or no equipment, water or poor food in 100+ heat, and maybe he did drag a two ton lifeboat to the beach, launch it and paddle it away to who knows where. Do we really think that he could have paddled, sailed or got out and pushed,  ANYTHING away from that island and left a woman behind? hehehe... If Amelia was anything like MY wife he couldn't have set foot in anything that floats let alone paddle it away without bringing her with him! On the serious side, IF they made it to Niku, and IF the bones found were Amelias, and IF he built, inflated or otherwise created something to sail, Why didn't she go with him?

Brad
Brad

#4327R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »

they may have both made it to seven site, an fred went off to search other side of island

artifact wise we have seen photo's of belongings being put in nose cone storage, if noonans luggage traveled at the rear of plane wid him.

then maybe thats why we dont have so many ?

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2012, 04:43:54 PM »

Or, if it was a dodgy landing then FN being at the rear of the plane without seat restraints? 
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5

Member# 416

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »

Is there any documentation about how many lifeboats from the NC were  left behind by the survivors?  and how many were on the island when the settlers came?

Richie has a good scenario, use the weight of the moving Lockheed to move the lifeboat onto water.

I like Richie's imaginative idea of how to drag a heavy lifeboat from the wreck of Norwich City into the surf.  Clever!

Harry's questions about how many lifeboats there were on the island were discussed a year ago in the heavily-read topic "Could AE and FN have known it was named 'Norwich City'?"  Ric contributed to the topic, noting that there had been 3 lifeboats from Norwich City that had been found on the island and then asking, "Norwich City carried four lifeboats. Where is the fourth boat?".  His tongue was surely in his cheek as he added later,
If the fourth boat was not there, I think the most likely explanation is that it never left the ship and was consumed in the fire. 

If it DID wash ashore, then it's missing.  I can think of a couple of other things that are missing.  The mariner's sextant from the box that was found by Gallagher.  And Fred Noonan.

Think about it.  It's July 10th. They've been on the island for eight days. They've lost the Electra. They've seen the Colorado's planes come and go. Hope for rescue is slim to none. Fred Noonan is a highly experienced mariner. He has a nautical sextant, almanacs and charts.  If he has recovered sufficiently from any injury he may have sustained in the landing and if there is a seaworthy boat available it would seem to be the most logical thing in the world for him to take whatever water and provisions he could assemble and set off to get help. It wouldn't make sense for both of them to go. It would double the amount of water and provisions needed. (Here Amelia, you keep the box for carrying stuff and the lens from the inverting eyepiece for starting fires.  I won't need them.)

Re-reading all of that is kind of fun.  Especially all the Monty Python allusions.  Anything to pass the next 3-4 months of waiting.   :)
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2012, 06:23:33 PM »

thx Bruce

the photo well postcard, is of Gardner Island i have put link to original an i have attached photo with 2 objects circled 1 on right is NC but what could 1 on left be ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OCEANIA-Kiribati-Gardner-Island-Thunderstorm-Plakhova-/170804471428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c4bd6684#ht_1966wt_1185

Member# 416

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2012, 09:16:29 PM »

As far as I know we only have Betty's notebook that mentions that the male on the radio was injured as was Amelia.  Presumably she had an injured "uncle", anklwe?
 I'm assuming that the life raft had some sort of inflating device.  How hard would it have been to launch a raft from the extreme South end of the island?

Amelia was a headstrong female who thought she could do anything a man could do, and better.  she wouldn't take any advice from FN.

I think that had he wanted to get off that island, he could have figured out a way to do it.  Whether he could have reached help, now that's a different story.

Relative to tools, the Luke Inventory lists them.

I like Richie's idea of using the moving plane (10,000 lbs) to move a lifeboat to water.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »

I like Richie's idea of using the moving plane (10,000 lbs) to move a lifeboat to water.
I got a better idea. Before using up all the remaining fuel to run the radio just tie a rope from the Electra to the lifeboat, crank the engines up to full power and, with those twelve hundred ponies, tow the lifeboat out into the water.

gl

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2012, 04:13:51 AM »

If we accept the Niku hypothesis, the Electra was on solid ground prior to the arrival of the Navy but not after the Navy had arrived.

It would be hard to imagine any attempts prior to the Navy planes searching the island. After that, the Electra was long gone.

I did read on an older thread about the Itasca boats (Bruce posted the links a few posts back). There were 4 in total, 2 large (1800lbs) and 2 small. One was unaccounted for. Perhaps it burned up, perhaps it did not. Does anyone know how much the smaller ones weighed?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 04:15:35 AM by Heath Smith »

Brad Beeching

• T3
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2012, 05:07:22 AM »

We don't KNOW and can't KNOW what Amelia and company WOULD have done, we can only speculate on what thier actions may have been. Is anyone actually SERIOUSLY thinking that these two people, IF they made to Niku, used the plane as a counter weight to drag a boat through the surf and that Mr. Noonan sailed away into the sunset? I would concede that had they had enough rope, they may have tried to secure the plane to something ashore, but dragging a boat? Dragging anything across rough terrain is not an easy task. Try this, take the wheels off your lawn mower and then drag it across the lawn. Not exactly what you want to do is it? Now try it in a blazing sun, with little or no water and in 100+ degree heat. I think we should just take this line of thinking and turn it into a movie script.

Brad
Brad

#4327R

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »

Brad
Perhaps you would rather hunker down on your butt and Die?

Did the unaccounted for lifeboat grow legs or wings and walk off the island or fly off?
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #163 on: April 04, 2012, 11:52:01 AM »

maybe tying the rope to the wheel strut, is how it ended up sticking up out water

Member# 416

David S Kuharski

• T1
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2012, 12:25:21 PM »

Moving the raft may have been difficult with the given conditions, but it was definitely possible and given the life risking scenario and I'm sure Noonan would have been willing to do it if he believed it gave him a better chance at survival. The unaccounted lifeboat also gives this theory some good backing, but the evidence doesn't make things completely clear. Hopefully we will get more this Summer.

David
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org