Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Nauticos Search Continues  (Read 73164 times)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
Re: Nauticos Search Continues
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 05:24:54 AM »

John--I think a big part of it is the logistical costs of getting support equipment to the middle of the Pacific. There are several corporations that build submirsibles, for example, that would LOVE to that this expedition on their resume'. But, in these times, they too are having to cut cost, including the front loading of expenses dealing with going to Nikumaroro.
BUT---the light at the end of the tunnel is, if we can show that there is a 'possiblility' tha the Electra is there, and show that there 'wasnt' any documented crashes on Niku, that certainly narrows the probability.
Seems to me that Discovery is putting their resources in reality TV now. Truckers driving on dangerous roads, etc. Well wehn TIGHAR DISCOVERS the Electra, they will certainly wish they were onboard.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »

One reason why I wonder why Bob Ballard doesn't want to be involved.  Resources and equipment already in place.  Probably a 'control' thing.  He would have to share the results, if successful, with Tighar.  Actually he would have to "play second fiddle".  May not be in his makeup. 
Or, he just may not be interested....or believe in the Tighar hypothesis.  Although, I thought I had read where he had stated something positive on that.  May have been my imagination.   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »

I had borught up Bobs name ina thread last year to Ric. Yep----is a sticky subject. Too bab too, because he has the resources, and the support of Nat Geo, and others. He knows of the logistics in the Pacific, due to his finding the remain of PT109.
Actually that might have been easier than finding the Electra. It was in a channel, not an encrused reef. Maybe the challange is too great??? Not for Tighar.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »

Personalities ... cats ... small cages ... territories ...

And that's all I've got to say about that.

LTM, who doesn't "mark" anything,

Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 07:47:44 PM »

Can you say Ric how much has been raised to date for the next expedition?  I know it's cheesy but the old charity "thermometer" gives a great visual.  Perhaps if members know the position and goal it may help.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »

Can you say Ric how much has been raised to date for the next expedition?  I know it's cheesy but the old charity "thermometer" gives a great visual.  Perhaps if members know the position and goal it may help.
That's a good idea Irv. Seeing progress encourages progress.
This must be the place

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »

If you'll look at Finding the Plane on the TIGHAR website you'll see a fuel gauge that shows the current status of fund raising for the expedition.  We've raised roughly $1.5 million of the $2 million we need.  Another $500,000 to go.  We'll make it if everyone chips in what they can.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 11:11:05 AM »

Jon Thompson from Nauticos criticizes TIGHAR in an interview on WREG, Channel 3, Memphis.  He's planning an expedition for spring of 2013.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »

Jon Thompson from Nauticos criticizes TIGHAR in an interview on WREG, Channel 3, Memphis.  He's planning an expedition for spring of 2013.
Oh, my!  How painful to watch.  Government money being wasted on Niku VII?  2-2-V-1 is from a Jap Zero?  AE was totally out of gas?  And I'm not the only one who's watched the clip ... the latest comment is signed by someone ready to blast TIGHAR -- a former Forumite.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:37:14 PM by Bruce Thomas »

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2012, 01:43:15 PM »

Think Harry Van A may be a litle bitter about his treatment but looks like he still reads the forum (see latest debate ref Bettys note book)

Dave Potratz

• T2
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2012, 01:09:03 PM »

Shows once again how Eeeeeeeeasy it is to criticize, especially when one proceeds from inaccurately portrayed information about their "straw-man" rival.   They dismiss as "speculation" anything that contradicts their own "speculation".  It tends to say more about the naysayer than the naysayee.

I would call on (without much hope) that these rather ebullient naysayers of the TIGHAR Hypothesis will be as forthcoming and enthusiastic in their apologies IF/when TIGHAR were to locate the Electra.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2012, 01:17:02 PM »

Dave
The good thing about being a critic is that you don't have to come up with anything better than the people you criticize. Indeed, In most cases you don't have to come up with anything at all!
 ;)
This must be the place

Vahe Demirjian

• T1
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 12:19:42 PM »

David jourdan's next expedition to howland island is planned for spring 2013..... he better not go ahead with the expedition because the four previous expeditions to howland (which were focused on the west coast of howland island) failed to find nr16020, so it would be uneconomical for nauticos to look around howland island again, because, as stressed by tighar, the electra would have had to burn fuel fast enough to crash into the sea and sink, which is highly unlikely because AE didn't report mechanical problems with her plane.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2017, 12:07:26 PM »

Looks like more deep water searches are upcoming soon;

http://m.wmctv.com/wmctv/db_381569/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=uAfQhiwT

http://nauticos.com/

Whatever the outcome , they should help eliminate many more miles of ocean bottom.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 12:17:28 PM by Jerry Germann »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2017, 12:13:58 PM »

Huh?  That link is to the MacPherson thread.  Where is there anything about another Nauticos search?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org