Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Nauticos Search Continues  (Read 73182 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Nauticos Search Continues
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 09:52:46 PM »

"Mid-South Man Searches for Amelia Earhart's Plane":

New Nauticos expedition heading out this spring.

OOOPS!

From Ric: "Dave Jourdan says the announcement of Nauticos' impending return to the Pacific is a mistake.  No new sponsor.  No expedition this spring. Just a case of a reporter misunderstanding what one of his people said in an interview. Dave says the article is an 'unfortunate nuisance.' That's probably an understatement."

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 10:51:08 PM »

"Mid-South Man Searches for Amelia Earhart's Plane":

New Nauticos expedition heading out this spring.

OOOPS!

From Ric: "Dave Jourdan says the announcement of Nauticos' impending return to the Pacific is a mistake.  No new sponsor.  No expedition this spring. Just a case of a reporter misunderstanding what one of his people said in an interview. Dave says the article is an 'unfortunate nuisance.' That's probably an understatement."

Well I guess that means the TIGHAR ROV expedition this year is the only one going on in that neck of the woods.  Any dates set yet Marty? 
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 06:30:46 AM »

Well I guess that means the TIGHAR ROV expedition this year is the only one going on in that neck of the woods.  Any dates set yet Marty?

Change of plans.  No expedition this year unless somebody with a whole lot of money steps forward real soon. 
The focus this year will be to spread the word and find the sponsorship for a thorough search of the reef slope off the west end of the island.
See new topic - Earhart Search 75

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 06:54:59 AM »

The big TIGHAR event this year is the symposium on the first weekend in June, near DC.

The next proposed Niku expedition is for 2013.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 10:30:29 AM »

Let's not get carried away with the life cycle of some small island reef in the boondocks of the Pacific.  Let's keep our eyes on the prize (so to speak), the airplane and its recovery.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »

Harry.  I think if TIGHAR had unlimited funds then both ROV and land searches should be done. The evidence gathered to date is all from land based archaeological investigation. None from any underwater searches. Jeff is making a case that if your going to the island anyway to do an ROV search then why not land an archaeology group as well.   It's not quite as simple as let's hoist a boat over the side, land and go for a walk but if you're sending a team many thousands of miles with a support ship then why not continue the land search too. Yes it's all about money and what TIGHAR can afford. But slow results (land) so far have beat fast results (ROV). And ROV costs more.  Ideally wouldn't you want to do both?
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »

IRV
Unlimited funds, yes then full speed ahead on all fronts, limited funds,find the plane and ya don't need to know the life cycle of the reef to do that.   ROV with the capability of grappling something, bringing it up, looking at it, analyzing it, etc.  Asking  is it man-made>  Is it aircraft in origin, is it from an electra, etc  Go back down and get another likely piece and repeat steps, etc
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 08:08:30 AM »

Guys---we have it all wrong. It isnt about aircraft wreckage, or archeological digs. Its about money---alot of it. Money to continue the research, to fund another expedition, and to have the necessary things inplace for a sufficient amount of time to come to a conclusion. With  funding so hard to find, there may only be 1 more chance. 'Make it count"
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »

Skepticism is fine.  But wrong place for debri from Norwich City.  But is directly under "Nessie" and where there was an eye witness of aircraft wreckage...prior to WWII. 
It is not that items can be confirmed as A/C parts, but there are things that should not be there that are consistent to A/C parts.  Shapes that are not natural.  So, hopefully funds will become available to allow a further investigation into what these things are.  One piece that could only come from the Electra and case closed....mystery solved.  Can't wait for that day. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 06:53:16 PM »

None of this options is cheap - but the cost of getting Tom King's crew on the island probably pales to that of the needed ROV effort, considering that it is somewhat embeddable with the necessary logistics.

Couple corrections.  The is no "Tom King's crew" and no "Ric Gillespie's team." There is a core group of TIGHAR members who have experience on the island but the selected teams always included qualified first-timers.  I select the teams and lead the expeditions.  Tom has directed the archaeology on several of the trips.  He won't be returning to the island for health reasons. Fortunately we have other experienced degreed archaeologists.
Embedding a ground team with a deep water search expedition is problematical.  We will probably do each as an autonomous operation.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »

I'm sorry to hear of Dr. King's difficulty and hope things improve.

Apparently they have.  Tom assures me that he feels he will be able to return to the island when we go back for more terrestrial archaeology.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »

Ric---If I can be really bold----what $$$$$ figure do you think it might take to embarq the necessary equipment and support teams to Niku? If you would rather wait until the symposium, I understand.
Tom

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »

Ric---If I can be really bold----what $$$$$ figure do you think it might take to embarq the necessary equipment and support teams to Niku? If you would rather wait until the symposium, I understand.

A typical three-weeks on site land expedition costs about $500,000.
We figure that a conclusive deep water search will run about 3 million.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »

Ok Ric---now that we know---it gives us a target to shoot for.
I ----we---appreciate it.

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 07:52:52 PM »

I guess the level of circumstantial evidence hasn't been reached yet to convince some technology company to donate their services and equipment for the search. Imagine what "We found Amelia Earhart" as part of your business presentation could do for your corporate image. Maybe it's just the tough economy holding back possible benfactors. They'll be the ones wishing they had taken the chance when the mystery is solved and they weren't a part of it. It may take longer without major support, but the mystery will be solved. LTM- who always loved a good mystery- John
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org